Baby-Faced Boy Becomes a Father at 13

As if the craziness of the octuplets wasn't bad enough, now comes news that a 13-year-old boy has become a father. What is this world coming to?!?

Alfie Patten, Chantelle and baby

Baby-faced Alfie Patten may be 13 years old, but he looks like he's 8 -- and just a few days ago, he became a first-time father. His much larger 15-year-old girlfriend, Chantelle Steadman, just gave birth to their 7 lb. 3 oz. bouncing baby girl, Maisie Roxanne, reports the UK's Sun newspaper.

Alfie and Chantelle had a one-time sexual encounter when Alfie was 12. What was Alfie's reaction when he found out Chantelle was pregnant? "I thought it would be good to have a baby," said Alfie in a prepubescent voice that has yet to break.

Neither Alfie nor his "girlfriend" seem to have the remotest clue about how having a child at such a young age might affect the rest of their lives. And Alfie, who doesn't even get an allowance yet, admits that he doesn't even know how much diapers cost, but says, "I think it's a lot."

Alfie, who is just 4 feet tall, revealed how scared he was to tell his mother about his impending fatherhood. "When my mum found out, I thought I was going to get in trouble," he recalls. "We wanted to have the baby but were worried how people would react. I didn't know what it would be like to be a dad. I will be good, though, and care for it."

Alfie's father Dennis admits he doesn't think that his son really understands the enormity of his situation -- but says Alfie seems desperate to be a devoted and responsible father. Dennis says that Alfie wanted to be the first to hold Maisie after the hospital birth. He tenderly kisses the baby and gives her a bottle. "He could have shrugged his shoulders and sat at home on his Playstation," Dennis says. "But he has been at the hospital every day."

13 year old father

Maisie was conceived after Chantelle and Alfie -- just 12 at the time -- had a single night of unprotected sex. They found out about the baby when Chantelle was 12 weeks pregnant. The young couple kept it a secret until six weeks later when Chantelle's mother Penny, 38, became suspicious about Chantelle's weight gain and confronted her.

"We didn't think we would need help from our parents," says Chantelle. "You don't really think about that when you find out you are pregnant. You just think your parents will kill you."

But Penny figured out what was going on after buying Chantelle a T-shirt that revealed her swelling tum.

Chantelle admits she and Alfie -- who are both being supported by their parents -- will probably be accused of being grossly irresponsible. "We know we made a mistake, but I wouldn't change it now," she says. "We will be good loving parents.

"I have started a church course and I am going to work helping other young mums," Chantelle says. Even though they're only teens dating, Chantelle says, "I'll be a great mother and Alfie will be a great dad."

What do you think about this unbelievable story?

next: Game: Cupid Needs Your Help
riley February 13, 2009, 6:46 PM

omg i think that this thing is a scam…this little boy doesnt look like he is thirteen!he looks like he is about 8…this story is so sad.i cant believe that the parents of these children arent taking more action and i cant believe that this 15 year old girl would be so irresponsible to let this happen to her.these kids have no idea waht they are getting themselves into and even though it isnt the best situation i hope they do well and raise this child right.

Nate February 13, 2009, 8:10 PM

Just kids thinking there all grown up again, parents to blame. Don’t dress your kids in brand clothing looking like there 18 and buying them jewellry

mary hazelwood February 13, 2009, 8:21 PM

I dont know about it, but i dident know a 13 year old could father a child, he hasent even had time for pupley yet, i know thats not how to spell that word but its close enough, good luck kids May God bless all three of you and keep you in his care,

Monica February 13, 2009, 8:49 PM

This is so DISGUSTING!!!!!! OMG!!!! What were they thinking!!! Everywhere you look there are posting for “safe sex”, “use a condom”,blah, blah, blah! Well its obivously not working since CHILDREN are popping out kids at only 13 and even younger. What people need to start preaching more is ABSTINENCE!!! AND GOD!!!! Even if they had used a condom that doesnt mean they should have been having sex anyway. And SHAME on the 15yr old girl! She should have known better and know she looks like a desperate pig who could only get a 12yr old to sleep with her!

Chrissy February 13, 2009, 8:53 PM

On a biological level - the boy doesn’t look like he has even started puberty and the girl obvious has.
Since he was 12 at the time of conception I would agree with the previous poster about him being capable of arousal, pentration and ejaculation. Sorry if that’s a bit graphic for some but its the technically terminology.
He has not had a growth spurt, no change in voice, no facial hair - no obivous evidence tha the is biologically capable of fathering a child - unlike Mary Kay Latourneau’s 13 year old.
I suspect the girl was the aggressor in this. And why would a 15 year old want to have a 12 boyfriend - let alone have sex with him?

allison February 13, 2009, 8:53 PM

At least they didn’t have eight at once after already having six. Let’s hope they wait a minimum of ten years to have any more and that they take good care of this one.

Cristina Mathers February 13, 2009, 9:13 PM

i am totally saddened by this. WHERE ARE THE PARENTS?!??????!?!?!?!

Anonymous February 13, 2009, 9:15 PM

I hope the boy’s parents make the boy have a DNA TEST to verify he is the father.
That kid does not look like he was already developed. He looks like six year old and very innocent.
I thought the girl-friend was his mom, She looks like she has been around the block.

Kate February 13, 2009, 10:14 PM

I volunteered in a 1st grade classroom and one of the students in the class had very young parents. They were both in 7th grade when they got pregnant. They are still together and just had their second child. The mom and dad are now married and they both are attending college. Obviously teaching abstinence only is not working.

O.o February 13, 2009, 10:20 PM

British kids are weird.Why would a 15 year old even have sex with at 12 year old???

Jennifer February 13, 2009, 10:26 PM

I’m honestly not that shocked by the fact that has happened. I don’t know what it’s like in the UK but I know sex education is not as important as it should be and too many parents are refusing to educate their children or provide them with the support and acceptance that they need. Underage sex can not be prevented and making sure that children are educated is the best way to prevent accidental pregnancy and the spread of disease.

I am shocked that the media is making such a huge deal out of the fact that this boy is only 13 years old and downplaying the age of the girl. As if it’s more acceptable for a 15 year old girl? I believe that the ages of both the mother and father of this baby is appalling. Neither of them are mature enough to have this type of responsibility.

Kristine February 13, 2009, 11:51 PM

I know it happens, after all I’m 19 and when I was in 8th grade, there were girls that hung out at the local park while guys lined up to get blow jobs. But one question: WHERE are these kids even given the opportunity to be HAVING sex?!

Susan February 14, 2009, 12:21 AM

I know this happening. When I had my son there was a 12 y/o in the room with me. And the 13 y/o father was in there too! They were watching cartoons and laughting. They had just had a baby!

Anonymous February 14, 2009, 1:04 AM

all i have got to say to these two young children is that,”you guys are kids so stay as kids!”
everybody who has read this story please try stopping teen pregnancy!!!!!!!
alfie u r still a kid honey! even if u have your hormones all charged up!!!!
niks

a shocked mother February 14, 2009, 1:04 AM

What in the world is going on TODAY ,,,KIDS this aint a JOKE- GAME or FUN , as for your parents WHAT THE HELL is wrong with you!!!!!!!!!!! NOW when the law step in & believe me they will YOU’LL be plastered ALL OVER THE NEWS, I DONT BELIEVE that little boy fathered that child he looks like he 7 or 8 NOT 13 and you both should be thinking about being children NOT TRYING TO BE GROWN BEFORE YOU TIME. Parents you better start watching your babies more closely then ever, because this story here is just SICK & DISGUSTING , now theres a innocent child who DIDN’T asked to be brought into this world , & heres is 2 young children that are now PARENTS who DON’T have a clue about what they have done , SO BUCKLE UP YOUR LIVES IS SERIOUSLY ABOUT to changed and it won’t be EASY -FUN OR A GAME, you’ll be screaming a DIFFERENT TUNE in the days and months to come & back to your parents YOU SEE how hot they are TEACH BIRTH CONTROL.

momma tink February 14, 2009, 4:43 AM

omg. this makes me cry. those two seriously did the do???? wow. and i thought being a mom @ 18 is bad…..but 15 n 13…….. HOLY CRAP!! wooooooowwwww…..this is just so freaking creepi.

balance0702 February 14, 2009, 5:32 AM

Sex at 12 is not uncommon these days. I’m 34 and some of my friends in high school lost their virginity at 11. It’s a different world now… a scary world. My son is only 2, but I can’t imagine what it is going to be like when he is 11, 12 or 13.

It’s sad for the parents and the baby. I can’t imagine having a baby that young.

And.. sorry this is gonna be rude… but who would find that little boy attractive? Even if he is 13… What girl is going to look at him and go yummy when he looks like he is 7????? Obviously she did, but I would get her counseling for that alone.

MrsEmbers February 14, 2009, 6:45 AM

Seeing that newborn baby in the video made me cry- that poor little thing has no idea that her parents probably don’t know how to take care of her, or that she’s in the middle of this media storm. She just wants the love and care every baby wants and deserves- I hope she gets it.

My 3-year old got this one right. He just walked over and saw the picture while I was reading the article and said, “Ooh, a baby! The baby’s on the kids!” They ARE kids. So sad.

Michael  February 14, 2009, 7:30 AM

I was 16 when I became a father, it can be done, their parents will help them. Mine did not and we made it. This is only so news worthy because he LOOKS so young.

omoopa February 14, 2009, 9:03 AM

What is really happening? this is really bad and very sad. This is like a baby giving birth to a baby. The father looks like a joke because I can’t fathom this.