Baby-Faced Boy Becomes a Father at 13

As if the craziness of the octuplets wasn't bad enough, now comes news that a 13-year-old boy has become a father. What is this world coming to?!?

Alfie Patten, Chantelle and baby

Baby-faced Alfie Patten may be 13 years old, but he looks like he's 8 -- and just a few days ago, he became a first-time father. His much larger 15-year-old girlfriend, Chantelle Steadman, just gave birth to their 7 lb. 3 oz. bouncing baby girl, Maisie Roxanne, reports the UK's Sun newspaper.

Alfie and Chantelle had a one-time sexual encounter when Alfie was 12. What was Alfie's reaction when he found out Chantelle was pregnant? "I thought it would be good to have a baby," said Alfie in a prepubescent voice that has yet to break.

Neither Alfie nor his "girlfriend" seem to have the remotest clue about how having a child at such a young age might affect the rest of their lives. And Alfie, who doesn't even get an allowance yet, admits that he doesn't even know how much diapers cost, but says, "I think it's a lot."

Alfie, who is just 4 feet tall, revealed how scared he was to tell his mother about his impending fatherhood. "When my mum found out, I thought I was going to get in trouble," he recalls. "We wanted to have the baby but were worried how people would react. I didn't know what it would be like to be a dad. I will be good, though, and care for it."

Alfie's father Dennis admits he doesn't think that his son really understands the enormity of his situation -- but says Alfie seems desperate to be a devoted and responsible father. Dennis says that Alfie wanted to be the first to hold Maisie after the hospital birth. He tenderly kisses the baby and gives her a bottle. "He could have shrugged his shoulders and sat at home on his Playstation," Dennis says. "But he has been at the hospital every day."

13 year old father

Maisie was conceived after Chantelle and Alfie -- just 12 at the time -- had a single night of unprotected sex. They found out about the baby when Chantelle was 12 weeks pregnant. The young couple kept it a secret until six weeks later when Chantelle's mother Penny, 38, became suspicious about Chantelle's weight gain and confronted her.

"We didn't think we would need help from our parents," says Chantelle. "You don't really think about that when you find out you are pregnant. You just think your parents will kill you."

But Penny figured out what was going on after buying Chantelle a T-shirt that revealed her swelling tum.

Chantelle admits she and Alfie -- who are both being supported by their parents -- will probably be accused of being grossly irresponsible. "We know we made a mistake, but I wouldn't change it now," she says. "We will be good loving parents.

"I have started a church course and I am going to work helping other young mums," Chantelle says. Even though they're only teens dating, Chantelle says, "I'll be a great mother and Alfie will be a great dad."

What do you think about this unbelievable story?

next: Game: Cupid Needs Your Help
Paula February 14, 2009, 10:02 AM

How does a 13 year old not know what financially means? This is truly insane and a bit gross…

fatima dar February 14, 2009, 10:22 AM

this is unimaginable…….when it comes to leading a life practically like this, such mistakes are always regretul.my sympathys are with the innnocent little child. i hope she doesnt suffer because of this in the future.

shelly February 14, 2009, 10:39 AM

Don’t just whine about society and parenting! Use this story to help you parent just like the tabloids are using it to make money. I made all my 14 yo son’s friends along with him read this story. I had them make a list about what these kids are going to miss out on as “kids” and what they could do to never have this happen to them. Get real, these are 13 and 14 year old boys, and in any generation, girls and masturbation is their focus at this time. After a lot of ribald comments, they all soberly admitted how awful this was and how stupid it was of the kids involved, (not the baby). As parents we cannot be with our children 24 hours a day. We can teach them responsiblilty and hope to hell they pay attention. I bought every one of these boys condoms and threatened them with death and/or castration if they even “thought” about dropping their drawers without one on! I may be a unique mama, but I know I am realistic in this day and age.

sam February 14, 2009, 11:14 AM

i want to say that if these two kids are young enough to have a baby at this age so it means that 18years old law for indicating adult is completely wrong and un-natural.it should be 10years or as islam is saying reality”to get them married as they become adult”than no need for abortion and other sort of pills and other ways.

Vanessa February 14, 2009, 11:14 AM

this is all too weird.

L. Sue February 14, 2009, 11:27 AM

My grandparents used to say “What’s this world coming too”?! They would have strokes today if they heard such a thing! How sad if this is really true, another thing we can’t be sure of today is Truth!! May God show them true love and mercy!

ts01 February 14, 2009, 12:01 PM

It all starts in the home and from what i read the parents are to blame for this.They have no moral values.This is the result of that.

Sam February 14, 2009, 12:39 PM

This is crazy!!!!! He doesn’t even look to be the age of 9. What was this girl thinking? It would make sinse if he at least looked older and looked like he hit puberty.A lesson to all teens…This is what will happen if you have unprotected sex.

nannette February 14, 2009, 12:44 PM

I’m almost speechless, but not quite…. This situation is absolutely appalling! It appears that there are no consequenses for inappropriate behavior by children these days. All the involved parties just sound completely nonchalant about it, so it’s no real surprise that this pregnancy has occured. Apparently, the (grand)parents never took the job of parenting very seriously. Completely disgusting…

unknown  February 14, 2009, 1:23 PM

Sorry to say but, the age 15 is good enough to know how everything works. Maybe they’re not telling us something. I wouldn’t be surprised if she took advantage of the young boy. Poor kid.

Karen February 14, 2009, 1:26 PM

It is hard for me to believe this “kid” is the Father, as I would think he would have to hit puberty first,as that is when his sex hormones would kick in—but according to this article, his voice has not even changed yet!—not only that, she was to have been on birth control, but forgot one?—I would think the other pill from the day before would have still be partially in her body to reject any pregancy, especially from a “kid”.. why is she on birth control anyway at such a young age!—still not sure if this whole story is true!—if so, how sad!

travo February 14, 2009, 1:32 PM

lol He doesnt know what financially means lol there in sum deep do-do

Anonymous February 14, 2009, 1:54 PM

i think the parents are dumbasses for letting them have a child..damnn.

Caesar February 14, 2009, 2:05 PM

To all that people that think that at 12 you don’t want to have sex you are so dame, when I was 12 I was making sex to a banana plant, yes to a banana plant, you just open a litle hole on the banana plant and there it is ,all yours. And I was not abused I was and I am just a hot man, but I never took nothing that was not given to me, I am 50 now, and I tell you I can fill a train wagon with all the woman I had in my life, one time I ask mi six grade teacher ” she was hot” that if she wants to have sex with me, my teacher talk to my parent about it, and I tell you my father was so proud of me that day.Any way 15 years later one day that I so my hot teacher and I told her who I was and that the proposition still was on, oh man we had a long nite of sex and she said to me “I did not know why I wait that long.

Mary February 14, 2009, 2:08 PM

I do think this is a shame but calling the little girl names is not going to change anything supposedly the story states that when they were together he was 12 an she was 13 which is possible depending the months they were born and he may look older because nature took over she gained weight with the pregnancy and hormones in nine months probably helped to accelerate her bodies appearance. Stop commenting about the irrelevant issues and understand how this will afffect their lives and goals for the future. These children have a long hard road ahead of them and I hope he stays around to help raise that baby and we don’t end up with another fatherless child in the world. Because Lord know when have enough children without fathers.

Donna February 14, 2009, 2:23 PM

I think this is a hoax.

Liv February 14, 2009, 2:44 PM

Wow, all of you are judging pretty hardcore. This does seem a bit fishy to me, only because of the boy still having a pre-pubescent voice.

However, most of you are saying this boy could be younger than that. I’m 21 years old, and I still could pass as a high school freshman. Some people, whether it’s a hereditary thing or not, just can’t age by their face. His face could age in a few years, or it could not. But to be convinced that this boy is really 9 years old is a little bit judgmental and ignorant.

It still seems like a hoax to me, though. If it’s not, I hope that they will be able to somehow provide for their child, and I hope the parents look back and realize they have screwed up badly.

Emma February 14, 2009, 2:48 PM

I’m with Fiauna, i also have doubts About the authenticity of this story the pictures look kinda fake to me.

hey kate February 14, 2009, 2:51 PM

obviously handing out condoms isn’t working either. i hate people that are so down on abstinance programs. maybe we need to teach our kids MORALS and self respect and quit glamorizing sex and making it out that sex and love are the same thing!

fbr_trash February 14, 2009, 2:55 PM