Baby-Faced Boy Becomes a Father at 13

As if the craziness of the octuplets wasn't bad enough, now comes news that a 13-year-old boy has become a father. What is this world coming to?!?

Alfie Patten, Chantelle and baby

Baby-faced Alfie Patten may be 13 years old, but he looks like he's 8 -- and just a few days ago, he became a first-time father. His much larger 15-year-old girlfriend, Chantelle Steadman, just gave birth to their 7 lb. 3 oz. bouncing baby girl, Maisie Roxanne, reports the UK's Sun newspaper.

Alfie and Chantelle had a one-time sexual encounter when Alfie was 12. What was Alfie's reaction when he found out Chantelle was pregnant? "I thought it would be good to have a baby," said Alfie in a prepubescent voice that has yet to break.

Neither Alfie nor his "girlfriend" seem to have the remotest clue about how having a child at such a young age might affect the rest of their lives. And Alfie, who doesn't even get an allowance yet, admits that he doesn't even know how much diapers cost, but says, "I think it's a lot."

Alfie, who is just 4 feet tall, revealed how scared he was to tell his mother about his impending fatherhood. "When my mum found out, I thought I was going to get in trouble," he recalls. "We wanted to have the baby but were worried how people would react. I didn't know what it would be like to be a dad. I will be good, though, and care for it."

Alfie's father Dennis admits he doesn't think that his son really understands the enormity of his situation -- but says Alfie seems desperate to be a devoted and responsible father. Dennis says that Alfie wanted to be the first to hold Maisie after the hospital birth. He tenderly kisses the baby and gives her a bottle. "He could have shrugged his shoulders and sat at home on his Playstation," Dennis says. "But he has been at the hospital every day."

13 year old father

Maisie was conceived after Chantelle and Alfie -- just 12 at the time -- had a single night of unprotected sex. They found out about the baby when Chantelle was 12 weeks pregnant. The young couple kept it a secret until six weeks later when Chantelle's mother Penny, 38, became suspicious about Chantelle's weight gain and confronted her.

"We didn't think we would need help from our parents," says Chantelle. "You don't really think about that when you find out you are pregnant. You just think your parents will kill you."

But Penny figured out what was going on after buying Chantelle a T-shirt that revealed her swelling tum.

Chantelle admits she and Alfie -- who are both being supported by their parents -- will probably be accused of being grossly irresponsible. "We know we made a mistake, but I wouldn't change it now," she says. "We will be good loving parents.

"I have started a church course and I am going to work helping other young mums," Chantelle says. Even though they're only teens dating, Chantelle says, "I'll be a great mother and Alfie will be a great dad."

What do you think about this unbelievable story?

next: Game: Cupid Needs Your Help
Karlie February 14, 2009, 3:00 PM

I mean you just have to lol! I LOL’d when I saw this! Why is this even news??? Shouldn’t we be worried about more important things.

donald m mason February 14, 2009, 3:22 PM

WHERE ARE THE PARENTS. THIS SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN BUT IT DID. SO NOW WHAT I KNOW ITS ALL SOCIETYS FALT RIGHT. YEA THATS IT BLAME ALL OF US FOR SOMEONE ELSES POOR CHILD UPBRINGING. SHAME ON THE PARENTS SHAME SHAME SHAME. SHAME ON THESE TWO CHILDREN ALSO. DONALD M MASON.

Salman Ahmed February 14, 2009, 3:35 PM

The kid does not even look like he can make a girl pregnant. It is gross & sick, just hope the baby turns out to be happy & healthy, & as normal as any other kid.

Lauren February 14, 2009, 3:40 PM

Oh. My. Gosh. :O I don’t know what to say to this, expect he looks so tiny to be a dad! I think if I saw him in public I would assume that it was his sibling. So sad.
Lauren

Salman Ahmed February 14, 2009, 3:40 PM

The boy does not even look like he can make a girl pregnant. It is very gross & sick. Just hope that the child turns out to be happy, healthy & as normal as any other kid.

s.kincaid m.d. February 14, 2009, 3:43 PM

If you believe that this little boy is the baby’s father then I would like to sell you some Brooklyn Bridge stock that I own. Obviously a pre-pubertal boy of any age cannot father a child even though intercourse may have taken place. This story does not pass the “smell test” and is obviously a scam.

Tizzy February 14, 2009, 3:43 PM

….This is very diturbing and I do think a paternity test shud b carried out…. he does even seem mature enuough to contribute to a prganacy. I also think that this 16 year old girl should be mentally/ psychologically evaluated, he looks so young, like an 8 yr old 2 be exact… how could she possibly be attracted to him sexually????

Anonymous February 14, 2009, 3:49 PM

omg u r soo young

shelly February 14, 2009, 3:54 PM

its hard to believe this happen. the boy looks like my 9 year old son. how young should parents tell they kids about sex? i mean with kids at that age of 13 becoming parents.

child support worker February 14, 2009, 3:56 PM

I’m surprised at the surprise at most of the posters that a 13 year old boy is a father. It’s an unfortunate reality that in our society, kids are having sex and babies sooner. Perhaps what I do for a living has everything to do with the fact I’m not surprised. I do child support work for a state agency, which includes paternity testing. I’ve seen it all, I think. I’ll never forget the day I met a 13 year old girl (who just turned 13). She already had 2 children and when I did the math, she was pregnant with her first child at 9 years of age, and the 2nd at age 11. The father was 14 and lived with her and her parents! Having a 9 year-old daughter at that time, that was the day I went home and had the sex talk with her…in great detail. I told her to imagine herself fat and pregnant right at that moment when she was playing with her dolls or coloring. Then I tried to look at her and imagine her pregnant like that mother did with her child and I just couldn’t see it. My baby was still a baby! I’ve seen 13 and 14 year old girls and boys become parents. It hurts me to see it.

Jenn February 14, 2009, 3:57 PM

I have to say Im flabergasted!
First, where were the parents that the kids were left alone in order to have sex?
Sec, the story says the girl was on birth control and she missed 1 day. So the did at least have contraceptive. So it’s not completely the parents at fault. Except noone was around which gave them time to have sex. And the girl was on “the pill”.
With that being said, yes he does look 8 y.o. but many people now and even when I was a kid looked young, so ya can’t really go on looks and also no matter what age, under 16 and having sex is WRONG! Wrong Wrong.
These kids are just babies themselves. Now a days girls are having their mensus at such an early age, and I didn’t even KNOW a boy that age could even procreate at that age. This is just so sad to see ..and as Chelsea stated, by the time the boy is in Highschool hes gonna have a kid just starting school! SAD!!!

Byron Bellamy February 14, 2009, 4:04 PM

Parents fault. They never should have had the opportunity.

KAKES February 14, 2009, 4:05 PM

why dident the 15 year old have inof sens to yews protecshon with at the time 12 YEAR OLD BOYFREND

h February 14, 2009, 4:18 PM

i can not believe this. they are crazy for doing that and i bet you that they would not take good care of the baby.

Mary February 14, 2009, 4:43 PM

If this boy is 13 then I’m Paris Hilton! has his real age been checked out? paternity test done? this story is very disturbing. I’ve had 5th grade students (10-11 yrs. old) that looked like this kid’s big brother. there is something wrong with that girl too.

dirk diggler February 14, 2009, 4:46 PM

I have a big erection and i’m jacking off to theses pics….i just came lol

Sandra February 14, 2009, 4:47 PM

Has the parents of both of these children ever sat down and talked to these kids about sex and the consequences if unprotected. I guess not.

Anonymous February 14, 2009, 4:58 PM

Sick, sick, sick… this story just turns my stomach!!! what is wrong with this world and the people in it now days….

ym February 14, 2009, 4:58 PM

I don’t blame the kids at all!!! especially as young as they are. Where are the parents??? As parents we need to spend more time with our children. Built communication, friendship and we need to spend more time with them. We need to show more love and attention towards our kids. If we don’t, they will find it somewhere else. Let’s stop thinking about ourselves and think more of our kids. They are our future!!!

ym February 14, 2009, 5:13 PM

Where are the parents? I like to hear their side of the story. After reading this story, I felt really sad for these kids. In today’s world, we have the opportunity to learn and grow and be something in this world. It’s sad that these kids have to grow up so fast to take up this huge responsibility that they don’t even understand.