Baby-Faced Boy Becomes a Father at 13

As if the craziness of the octuplets wasn't bad enough, now comes news that a 13-year-old boy has become a father. What is this world coming to?!?

Alfie Patten, Chantelle and baby

Baby-faced Alfie Patten may be 13 years old, but he looks like he's 8 -- and just a few days ago, he became a first-time father. His much larger 15-year-old girlfriend, Chantelle Steadman, just gave birth to their 7 lb. 3 oz. bouncing baby girl, Maisie Roxanne, reports the UK's Sun newspaper.

Alfie and Chantelle had a one-time sexual encounter when Alfie was 12. What was Alfie's reaction when he found out Chantelle was pregnant? "I thought it would be good to have a baby," said Alfie in a prepubescent voice that has yet to break.

Neither Alfie nor his "girlfriend" seem to have the remotest clue about how having a child at such a young age might affect the rest of their lives. And Alfie, who doesn't even get an allowance yet, admits that he doesn't even know how much diapers cost, but says, "I think it's a lot."

Alfie, who is just 4 feet tall, revealed how scared he was to tell his mother about his impending fatherhood. "When my mum found out, I thought I was going to get in trouble," he recalls. "We wanted to have the baby but were worried how people would react. I didn't know what it would be like to be a dad. I will be good, though, and care for it."

Alfie's father Dennis admits he doesn't think that his son really understands the enormity of his situation -- but says Alfie seems desperate to be a devoted and responsible father. Dennis says that Alfie wanted to be the first to hold Maisie after the hospital birth. He tenderly kisses the baby and gives her a bottle. "He could have shrugged his shoulders and sat at home on his Playstation," Dennis says. "But he has been at the hospital every day."

13 year old father

Maisie was conceived after Chantelle and Alfie -- just 12 at the time -- had a single night of unprotected sex. They found out about the baby when Chantelle was 12 weeks pregnant. The young couple kept it a secret until six weeks later when Chantelle's mother Penny, 38, became suspicious about Chantelle's weight gain and confronted her.

"We didn't think we would need help from our parents," says Chantelle. "You don't really think about that when you find out you are pregnant. You just think your parents will kill you."

But Penny figured out what was going on after buying Chantelle a T-shirt that revealed her swelling tum.

Chantelle admits she and Alfie -- who are both being supported by their parents -- will probably be accused of being grossly irresponsible. "We know we made a mistake, but I wouldn't change it now," she says. "We will be good loving parents.

"I have started a church course and I am going to work helping other young mums," Chantelle says. Even though they're only teens dating, Chantelle says, "I'll be a great mother and Alfie will be a great dad."

What do you think about this unbelievable story?

next: Game: Cupid Needs Your Help
dan February 14, 2009, 5:26 PM

haha he looks bout 6!

dan February 14, 2009, 5:29 PM

haha the kid looks bout 6!

Lauren February 14, 2009, 5:51 PM

Lol. He doesn’t know what financially is?? This girl should be arrested, she looks 18 and he looks barely 8 years old!!! Tsk, tsk. What is the world coming to??

Nancy February 14, 2009, 6:07 PM

Were in the heck are these kids parents? That baby needs to be put in children and youth services and the kids need to be put in foster care, God knows they have no parental control. Shame on those parents…………

me February 14, 2009, 6:17 PM

Wat kind of girl wud want to go out wid a 12 yr old boy who looks like hes eight?…and then go have sex with him. Oh, and not to mention..HAVE A BABY WITH HIM AT THAT AGE!!!!!?? You know we might think this is stupid of them and everything, but this is what our society is turning into.. and im pretty sure their not the only ones who are doing this.

lowprofile February 14, 2009, 7:51 PM

hilarious!gud job:D

Amy February 14, 2009, 8:28 PM

they did a mistake, but they did the right thing as not aborted the baby.That’s sympathetic point. They have problems already,at least they and their family accept the fact,support them no matter how the society negatively view them, and struggle for solution, not like us who’s just discussing and viewing them negatively without doing anything for them?

Julian February 14, 2009, 8:41 PM

When the baby grow up, they all could go to the parties, because the parents will still be young! Awesome!

Amber February 14, 2009, 9:41 PM

Holy Crap!! Do 12 year olds even have sperm yet????!!!! Geeze. Oh well. I’m 16 and proud of my virginity. I’m worried that my 12 year old bro will make this mistake too sometimes. Wow. This is shocking. At least he cares about the child. But the parents need to make the kids get jobs somehow and support themselves. It’s not their parent’s faults that they expeiremented. But those kids are far too young to be alone, anyway.

Joseline February 14, 2009, 11:01 PM

I am glad she didnt abort. I was in the same situation when i was her age. I had my son n me n my fiancee didnt know how we were going to survive but we did. we both worked we both finished school. i graduated valedictorian and now i attend california state dominguez hills. and im getting married, we are doing fine. it is going to be hard for them at first but as long as they dont give up they will survive. the key is staying focused and making sure the baby is good. and they gotta be in it together and they will make it. the mistake is done and if they really love each other they will make it in this world. no body can judge them for their mistakes because we are just humans we all make mistakes. and its okay jus learn from them. i give them my blessings and luck in life I know they will make it far.

?? February 14, 2009, 11:29 PM

umm, it doesn’t even seem possible for something like this to happen, i mean look at this kid, he doesn’t look a day past 8

Ahmed February 15, 2009, 12:13 AM

This shows a parent negligence.parent should more concerned about their kids.13 yrs old boy can not become a responcible Father.This would negotively impact new born baby’s future life.

Ahmed February 15, 2009, 12:14 AM

*no comment* February 15, 2009, 12:36 AM

I’m 19 and I’ve never even poked a guy with a stick. I am a little concerned after reading this whole article and some comments. Some what disturbed, but forgive my feelings. I wish them luck. Do you think media is responsible for this? idk…I’m just a kid

Tessa Al-Tagi February 15, 2009, 1:00 AM

i think that having sex with a 13 year old is wrong and the girl should have thought of that..but what i do take my hat of to them is keeping the child and not giving it up for adoption that is the worst thing they could have done not only will the kids grow up with the pain in them that they gave there child away but so will they baby!! i had my beautifull baby girl at 16 and i have never regreated it the most happy day of my life, now 20 and happily married… kids are more cleaver and older then they look….

Amber February 15, 2009, 1:38 AM

that kid looks like he’s 7.

C February 15, 2009, 2:16 AM

This makes me sick. This girl has some issues. How can she be turned on by a 12 year old!? Look at them together, do you not see something wrong with that picture? If this was the other way around and the boy was a girl people would be screaming rape! This is what happens when people are Ok with sex being plastered everywhere. Society keeps saying but it’s 2009 get over it. Things like this are going to keep happening and it will get worse…

Susie Christiansen February 15, 2009, 2:17 AM

If this story is true,I have a 31 yr.old daughter and son-n-law that couldn’t have babies and have been unable to adopt either. I think the UK should step in and take that baby away and give it to a loving,crying,lonely filled arms of a couple who is mature enough to raise that baby the right way.
For God’s Sake Give Me A Break.

leah February 15, 2009, 4:21 AM

i hope that their parents will be supportive of them…

lawrence February 15, 2009, 4:21 AM

It’s awesome! /I guess this little boy will be a hansome guy in the future. A hot debate heats up at Billionairepal.com. Let us check what pinions other celebrities and wealthy guys’ opinions are about this story. Many guys joined this discussion over there