Baby-Faced Boy Becomes a Father at 13

As if the craziness of the octuplets wasn't bad enough, now comes news that a 13-year-old boy has become a father. What is this world coming to?!?

Alfie Patten, Chantelle and baby

Baby-faced Alfie Patten may be 13 years old, but he looks like he's 8 -- and just a few days ago, he became a first-time father. His much larger 15-year-old girlfriend, Chantelle Steadman, just gave birth to their 7 lb. 3 oz. bouncing baby girl, Maisie Roxanne, reports the UK's Sun newspaper.

Alfie and Chantelle had a one-time sexual encounter when Alfie was 12. What was Alfie's reaction when he found out Chantelle was pregnant? "I thought it would be good to have a baby," said Alfie in a prepubescent voice that has yet to break.

Neither Alfie nor his "girlfriend" seem to have the remotest clue about how having a child at such a young age might affect the rest of their lives. And Alfie, who doesn't even get an allowance yet, admits that he doesn't even know how much diapers cost, but says, "I think it's a lot."

Alfie, who is just 4 feet tall, revealed how scared he was to tell his mother about his impending fatherhood. "When my mum found out, I thought I was going to get in trouble," he recalls. "We wanted to have the baby but were worried how people would react. I didn't know what it would be like to be a dad. I will be good, though, and care for it."

Alfie's father Dennis admits he doesn't think that his son really understands the enormity of his situation -- but says Alfie seems desperate to be a devoted and responsible father. Dennis says that Alfie wanted to be the first to hold Maisie after the hospital birth. He tenderly kisses the baby and gives her a bottle. "He could have shrugged his shoulders and sat at home on his Playstation," Dennis says. "But he has been at the hospital every day."

13 year old father

Maisie was conceived after Chantelle and Alfie -- just 12 at the time -- had a single night of unprotected sex. They found out about the baby when Chantelle was 12 weeks pregnant. The young couple kept it a secret until six weeks later when Chantelle's mother Penny, 38, became suspicious about Chantelle's weight gain and confronted her.

"We didn't think we would need help from our parents," says Chantelle. "You don't really think about that when you find out you are pregnant. You just think your parents will kill you."

But Penny figured out what was going on after buying Chantelle a T-shirt that revealed her swelling tum.

Chantelle admits she and Alfie -- who are both being supported by their parents -- will probably be accused of being grossly irresponsible. "We know we made a mistake, but I wouldn't change it now," she says. "We will be good loving parents.

"I have started a church course and I am going to work helping other young mums," Chantelle says. Even though they're only teens dating, Chantelle says, "I'll be a great mother and Alfie will be a great dad."

What do you think about this unbelievable story?

next: Game: Cupid Needs Your Help
dolly February 17, 2009, 10:04 AM

13 year old father

Anonymous February 17, 2009, 11:49 AM

no way in hell. How he do it with her???!!!
is he 13 or like 8
he looks like my little cousin
god knows how this could have happend

Ginger February 17, 2009, 1:21 PM

This story truly breaks my heart. My youngest is 12 and his voice hasn’t completely changed as he’s going thru puberty. I can’t imagine my “baby” which he truly is since he makes imature decisions, having a child of his own.

Anonymous February 17, 2009, 1:33 PM

god………………… i am scared to have kids…… ful of tention offfffffff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous February 17, 2009, 1:46 PM

I think tha people really need to be happy that this baby seems to be healthy even though the mother was so young. I wish them the best.

charles fleck February 17, 2009, 1:55 PM

i hope the kid has a great life.

Missy February 17, 2009, 2:29 PM

Wow - his dad thinks he is going to be a good father. Really? At his age, he is going to be a good father, because he was at the hospital instead of playing PS? Really? The age difference between them and their baby is not good. It is more like a little brother. Do you know, he is barely old enough to be aloud in the hospital to visit patients. You have to be at least 12…

When he is 21, his baby is going to be 8 year old. When he is 31, the baby will be 18 years old and leaving home. Wow. This is not good.

He thinks diapers will cost a lot???? He obviously doesn’t grasp the gravity of the situation.

KJ February 17, 2009, 2:30 PM

This is not a surprise! There are hundreds of young fathers and mothers in the world.

whitedovepettyp@aol.com February 17, 2009, 2:50 PM

IT’S A SHAME, BUT IT NO USE TALKING ABOUT IT , THE BABY IS HERE NOW WHO WILL TAKE CARE , LOVE IT SUPPORT IT AND BOY IT IS EXPENSIVE. JUSTINE

curious February 17, 2009, 5:28 PM

It doesn’t even seem like that huge girl would even like that tiny boy but this is a disaster in the making. And Alfie’s family needs to seek paternity.

Sazi February 17, 2009, 6:20 PM

I think this story is ridiculous a thirteen year old who is a father?? Seriously what is the world coming to? And did the parents of these children know they were sexually active?

Lili February 17, 2009, 7:09 PM

This is really sad. I hope the kid and his baby turn out fine, in spite of the circumstances.

And for the people who did not know that a 13-year-old could father a child, what is wrong with you? There is no excuse for not knowing that. No excuse at all. Even in societies with low literacy/education rates, it is well known that most boys hit puberty at this age and are able to father a child. Good grief!

Norma February 17, 2009, 9:03 PM

Ok first of all. If this story is real then who is any one to point fingers and say that the parents of these two are at fault. Let me share something with you. Yes, the children should have been taught more about protected sex and I do to think what is a 13 year old doing thinking about sex. Here’s my story… I was 15 when I had my first child. She was a blessing to me. The father was 17. We started dating when I was 12 did not have sex then not till I was 14. Yes, 14 is still to young but it happened. We had our first child. It was by no means my parents fault it is a choice that I made and I knew what could happen. Her we are 10 years later with three kids and happily married. It was no means my parents fault that I had sex and got pregnant. It is going to happen no matter what. My parents were not around me 24/7 and they did not have me locked up in my room. As for the comment about the baby is going to need counciling well my daughter is 7 now and she is a very bright, beautiful girl. I was a very mature person at 15 my mom was disabled and I took on a lot of responsibility at home so yes I had to grow up fast but I would not change anything that has happened to me. I am here today with a beautiful family.

Anonymous February 17, 2009, 9:54 PM

Astaghfirullah i just hate dat boy…………………
hina saif

Anonymous February 17, 2009, 9:56 PM

Were are their parents, while the media is trying to get a interview. I got sick at my stomach watching this.

Anonymous February 17, 2009, 10:21 PM

What happen to parents being parents and educating their kids . Sometimes you cant be their best friend you need to be involved in there life to help avoid this situations . Is adpotion a option? There life is changed from this point on no more being kids. Hopefully they can provide a great life for Macie, Best Wishes.

shino February 17, 2009, 10:29 PM

i had a same experience as alfie’s ..
way back when i was 8 yrs old.
but my partner didn’t get preggy. hihi.

Anonymous February 17, 2009, 11:02 PM

I personally dont feel bad for them they knew what they were doing. There not 4. If you think you are old enough to have sex than there comes responsability.You lay your own bed. So at least he is stepping up.Welcome
ro being adult.Best wishes

Cher February 17, 2009, 11:32 PM

Firstly, I’m not too certain this story is true. Secondly, even if it was, I don’t blame the kids as much as I blame the parents. Where were the parents when their children were having sex? Did they teach their kids about what sex is, what it means, or how special it can be when you’re of legal age? Not to mention protection and safe sex practices? And what kind of negligent parent lets their underage children raise a baby? Let’s say the law prevents the parents from adopting out the baby themselves. Why not try and talk them into putting it up for adoption? The parents will end up being financially responsible for the baby, so why shouldn’t they have a choice? How will the kids get jobs? How will the kids going to finish school? How will they finish their childhood for that matter?

Anonymous February 18, 2009, 12:48 AM

omg this kid looks like hes the brother!!!!!!!!