Is 16 Too Young for a Sex Change?

Psychologists who authorized the surgery in Germany say 16-year-old Tim Petras, now known as Kim Petras, was '"without a doubt, a girl in a boy's body."

Kid talking to his mother

Doctors tell media outlets that Petras has been going through hormone therapy since age 12.

Petras says she is happy with the results of the operation, saying "I've been asked if I feel like a woman now, but the truth is I have always felt like a woman. I just ended up in the wrong body."

In addition, Petra shares "I can enjoy swimming now and wear bikinis, go into changing rooms without a problem. Everything has changed because of this operation. I just can't wait to put on my favorite bathing suit and go swimming like I've never done before."

What do you think about a 16-year-old having a sex change? Is it too young?

next: Octuplets Mom Got $168K in State Cash
elena9907 March 24, 2009, 2:16 AM

I THINK IT’S DISGUSTING!!!! WE WHERE SENT A CERTAIN WAY KEEP IT LIKE THAT!!!!

Anonymous March 27, 2009, 5:26 PM

i say wait one more year and if they still want one give them one

Anonymous April 30, 2009, 10:38 PM

your not even allowed to get a tattoo till 18 for fear of “the rest of your life” let alone switching around body parts!!!

Mr. E May 9, 2009, 4:40 PM

Personally, I believe that although 16 is a young age, I don’t think 16 is too young for a person to make a decision to have a sex change. I bet their are tons of people who have had a sex change, and knew they needed a sex change at 16, but limited themselves by saying that 16 was too young and had to wait even longer to do this necissary change to make them happy. If you can drive a car, move out of your house, get a job, and set up your own education, then why can’t you decide what sex you want to be? If her psychologists were okay with it, then I don’t see why it is a problem or why we should judge..it’s a free world afterall anyway right?

Jessica May 18, 2009, 3:41 AM

As much as people like to believe that a person isnt of sound mind to decide something that important at that age, realistically it isnt something that should be left till later in life. The younger a sex change is started, the more successful it is. Girls that started hormones before puberty even started grow up looking very feminine in most cases. After puberty, alot of the same results are impossible… and to achieve just some desired basic results, alot of surgery is required, surgery that isnt necessary if male puberty is prevented.

While people sit there and say that letting someone decide this when they’re young is destroying their life, your also destroying their life. Sex changes are widely unaccepted by alot of people, as some of the people commenting illustraite… One of the key factors of regret in a sex change, is from social aspects. Someone who undertakes a sex change usually just wants to be the gender they feel they are inside… But when everyone around them treats them like they’re not, they feel like they’ve made a mistake.

To give everyone an idea, if your a girl, and your happy being a girl… but everyone around you tells you that your a guy, maybe cause of how you dress or behave… Would you be happy? or insulted? Likewise if a guy was told he was like a girl, most guys find it insulting. So, for someone who is a guy, but wants to be a girl, to be called a guy, or treated like a guy, you cant say its insulting, because its true… but its devistating, because these people wish it was anything but true.

So the question you should all be asking, isnt if 16 is too young to be deciding something that could ruin a person’s life. It is, do you think this person’s life should be ruined because they’re too young to decide how to fix it?

There is no simple answer, and I kinda ramble, so I dont know if my point is clear. Personally, I was a girl trapped in a guy’s body. I knew I was a girl around when I was 8, no one ever gave me the choice… My life would have been so much greater if I was given the choice back then, instead because it isnt a very acceptable thing, I only found out I could make the transition to be a girl when it was too late to do it right. My personal feelings are, if the person knows its right, then they should be allowed to do it, and if you love that person, you wont try to stop them because you dont agree with it. If they grow up and decide it was a mistake :P then, they’re just stuck in the wrong body, again :P same problem, just at least you gave them a few years of happiness inbetween :)

Lacie  May 24, 2009, 4:45 PM

Ok I’m 15 almost 16 and I’ve never fealt comfortable in my body I feal like a boy in a girl’s body.How can I tell my mom she freaks over everything?

Zgkbrjdn June 26, 2009, 3:27 AM

9eNdGB comment2 ,

Atwiiisa June 27, 2009, 11:29 PM

SnIrsj comment3 ,

Steff June 30, 2009, 12:37 AM

In most cases thouse over 15 know what they want, and are mauture enough for such a desicion… The human body should be coustimized to what the host wants the body to be like… if you believe in a book writen over 2000 years ago, then follow it… the mind is all that a person really is, alter the body but not the mind…

jeff November 3, 2009, 7:28 AM

i’m already having horomons so i can become a girl because that what i really am inside

charls  November 3, 2009, 7:41 AM

same here i just told my parents and my dad ripped on me but they exepted it and got me counciling then i had puberty stopped at that same time and i just started getting horomones today

Jakob May 28, 2010, 6:27 AM

Ok first off i am a gay person and 16 is NOT to you young.I’m 10years old and am going through various woman horomone treatments and am going to have surgeries when i turn 16 and by the time im 19 i will be a woman.So people who think this is “Wrong” are just iggnorent.If your a girl inside its impossible to be happy as a boy on the outside

Crissy October 3, 2010, 3:36 PM

Here is something else that most narrow minded, or even those people out there who don’t believe it’s right to change your outer appearance to match what you feel on the inside. If you start transition with hormones at an early age, then you don’t have the negative side affects of testosterone cause the manly features to develop. So that way you develop more like a girl would and retain feminine features, and wont be ridiculed that you look like a manly girl, and they wont get to live the happy life they deserve. I’m only speaking of this because I started on hormones at 12 as well, and I am now 17, and have SRS scheduled for Nov. 1st. I can promise you that since I started the hormones back at 12 till now, I can pass very very well for a girl. Had I “waited” till I was an adult to start all this, then I can promise everyone that I would not be near as pretty as I am today. So if you still can’t seem to grasp your mind around “Gender Dysphoria” then talk to a doctor about it, and ask the questions yourself, before you judge straight out about waiting till your older to start transitioning.

Edgar Bushorn December 30, 2010, 10:57 AM

Hey there I’m getting a technical obstacle reading your site, I’m given 403 errors quite often, I’m not much too clear regarding why but once I refresh the webpage it returns right.

hello kitty game December 30, 2010, 6:18 PM

May i make a word of advice? I think youve got sth good above. Yet what if you also offered some links to a website that supports what you’re you said? Or maybe you may provide us with some extra information to check out, something would associate what you are talking about, something more tangible?

MCAT registration December 31, 2010, 8:33 PM

Hi I am having a trouble reading your web site, I’m having 404 errors pretty often, I am not too sure about why but once I reload the web page it comes fine.

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 10:53 AM

Interesting info. Good and fun reading. There’s a single point to make about t-shirts.

13 year old mtf (pre op) March 26, 2011, 7:21 PM

Heck i dont have a problem with it… and for those people who think its wrong because of their Christan beliefs are bad… do you really think “god” wants you to judge

Hol May 9, 2011, 7:27 AM

Oh, everyone says advances are constantly being made in the medical field.
We all knew at a young age what gender and orientation we are, and when it conflicts with what our bodies say, then it is time to adjust. God may not make mistakes, but He does allow them to happen, but it is more than a so-called “mistake”, rather, it is a testing of our love for our fellow man or woman. We want happiness, and so why can’t a child have his or hers? Pre-teen is best for a decision if the child want sex change, it gets far harder and more complicated later in life when even more people want to decide what another person’s happiness should be. Compassion is what should be extent, remember, these children have feelings to.