Abduction-Proof My Home, Please!

"Safety Chick" Kathleen Baty gives moms pointers.

flopred270.jpg

The story of Haleigh Cummings has us feeling paranoid, especially since she was reportedly abducted from her own home. How can we make our homes safer for our own kids?

"Safety Chick" Kathleen Baty gives moms pointers for decreasing your children's odds of becoming a victim.

- Watch who you associate with. The majority of abducted children are taken by someone they know. That's why you have to be especially careful about who you surround yourself with and who you let into your home. Before you hire a carpet cleaning company, for instance, make sure they do background checks on employees before letting a worker into your house.

- Use common sense. Make sure to lock all doors and windows every night.

- Create a "perimeter of safety" around your house. Install sensor lights. Criminals don't want to be seen. If there's a spotlight that goes on when they enter your yard, that could be a deterrent.

- "Stalk yourself." Take a walk around your house and see what strangers can see. Can they see into your drapes or blinds? Make sure no one can see into your children's rooms, especially. You don't want someone to be able to see where your child sleeps from the street.

- Get an alarm system in the home. You want to know the second someone is entering ... not wait to find out until they're at the foot of your bed or in your child's room.

- Get alarmed screens. That way, you can still open windows and get fresh air in the day, but if the screen is cut or removed, the alarm will go off. These would have been especially helpful in the Elizabeth Smart abduction, because he came in through a window.

- If you want to go the extra mile, create a "safe room" in your house. I recommend a walk-in closet that doesn't have windows. Install a bolt lock high enough on the door that your kids can't reach it, and keep a baseball bat and a plugged-in cell phone in that room at all times. Program the number of your local police department into that phone. Make sure your kids know if there is a burglar in the house, everyone should meet in that room. Then, if an emergency strikes, lock yourself in and call the police.

How do you keep your kids safe at home?

next: Octuplets -- I Am Your Father!
Vanessa22 December 6, 2010, 4:19 AM

The idea of “safe room” is clear enough and as for me will serve you as a good closet where you can save things like sash window restoration, fishing rods and lot of old things that you won’t be able to throw away.

Clayton Venecia December 8, 2010, 11:19 AM

Hello, I used to be looking via the web site trying to find some info and arrived by way of your weblog. I’m amazed by the data that you’ve got on this site. It reveals how well you comprehend this subject. Saved this internet page, should come back again for lengthy term. You, my pal, ROCK!!!

corporate catering sydney December 8, 2010, 10:42 PM

corporate catering sydney

I just added your web site to my bookmarks. I enjoy reading your posts. Thanks!!!

Lilly  December 9, 2010, 2:47 AM

She is so cute baby. Ummmuahh
freelance website

Lilly  December 9, 2010, 2:47 AM

She is so cute baby. Ummmuahh
freelance website

Lilly  December 9, 2010, 2:47 AM

She is so cute baby. Ummmuahh
freelance website

Roman Michelin December 9, 2010, 12:20 PM

Hi Webmaster, commenters and everyone else !!! The weblog was completely improbable! Lots of nice data and inspiration, both of which we all need!Hold ‘em coming… you all do such an excellent job at such Concepts… can’t let you know how much I, for one recognize all you do!

Ria Hogsten December 9, 2010, 10:24 PM

bulky book you’ve receive

Sex Webcam December 16, 2010, 4:01 PM

In der wissenschaftlichen Literatur ist schon viel über das Thema veröffentlicht worden. Dem Autor dieses Blogs würde ich empfehlen, sie einmal die Literatur anzuschauen,um solche Fehleinschätzungen zu vermeiden.

Ivette Radke December 17, 2010, 8:52 AM

I have been checking out some of your stories and i must say pretty good stuff. I will definitely bookmark your site.

sscot December 18, 2010, 9:54 AM

the floor and buy everything necessary to make your house look like a horror house at night, even men are afraid of the supernatural.Daily">http://www.crumblrr.com/”>Daily Local Deals

Gadget Reviews December 19, 2010, 1:49 PM

You might want to re-think the whole thing, just sayin..

diet software December 20, 2010, 6:51 PM

That is exactly how i feel about it.

Maternity Photographer destin florida December 23, 2010, 11:33 PM

Are we sure about this?

Crewneck Sweater December 26, 2010, 11:05 PM

Thank you for making the trustworthy attempt to discuss this. I feel very robust about it and wish to learn more. If it’s OK, as you achieve more intensive knowledge, might you thoughts adding more articles similar to this one with additional information? It could be extremely helpful and helpful for me and my friends.

Million Candlepower December 27, 2010, 1:46 AM

Thank you for making the honest strive to give an explanation for this. I think very robust about it and wish to be told more. If it’s OK, as you attain more intensive wisdom, might you thoughts adding more posts similar to this one with more information? It would be extremely helpful and helpful for me and my colleagues.

How to Start A Blog December 28, 2010, 9:30 AM

Hiya, I just hopped over to your website by means of StumbleUpon. No longer something I might generally learn, but I favored your feelings none the less. Thanks for making one thing value reading.

skin tag removal December 28, 2010, 10:29 PM

I feel that may be a captivating element, it made me assume a bit. Thank you for sparking my thinking cap. Every now and then I get such a lot in a rut that I simply feel like a record.

Free Image hosting December 28, 2010, 11:24 PM

Just right points?I would be aware that as anyone who truly doesn’t write on blogs so much (in fact, this can be my first publish), I don’t suppose the term ‘lurker’ is very turning into to a non-posting reader. It’s not your fault in the slightest degree , but possibly the blogosphere could get a hold of a better, non-creepy identify for the ninety% folks that experience reading the content .

10 Minute Trainer December 29, 2010, 12:26 AM

Atypical this publish is totaly unrelated to what I was looking google for, but it surely was once listed at the first page. I guess your doing something right if Google likes you sufficient to position you at the first page of a non comparable search.