Abduction-Proof My Home, Please!

"Safety Chick" Kathleen Baty gives moms pointers.

flopred270.jpg

The story of Haleigh Cummings has us feeling paranoid, especially since she was reportedly abducted from her own home. How can we make our homes safer for our own kids?

"Safety Chick" Kathleen Baty gives moms pointers for decreasing your children's odds of becoming a victim.

- Watch who you associate with. The majority of abducted children are taken by someone they know. That's why you have to be especially careful about who you surround yourself with and who you let into your home. Before you hire a carpet cleaning company, for instance, make sure they do background checks on employees before letting a worker into your house.

- Use common sense. Make sure to lock all doors and windows every night.

- Create a "perimeter of safety" around your house. Install sensor lights. Criminals don't want to be seen. If there's a spotlight that goes on when they enter your yard, that could be a deterrent.

- "Stalk yourself." Take a walk around your house and see what strangers can see. Can they see into your drapes or blinds? Make sure no one can see into your children's rooms, especially. You don't want someone to be able to see where your child sleeps from the street.

- Get an alarm system in the home. You want to know the second someone is entering ... not wait to find out until they're at the foot of your bed or in your child's room.

- Get alarmed screens. That way, you can still open windows and get fresh air in the day, but if the screen is cut or removed, the alarm will go off. These would have been especially helpful in the Elizabeth Smart abduction, because he came in through a window.

- If you want to go the extra mile, create a "safe room" in your house. I recommend a walk-in closet that doesn't have windows. Install a bolt lock high enough on the door that your kids can't reach it, and keep a baseball bat and a plugged-in cell phone in that room at all times. Program the number of your local police department into that phone. Make sure your kids know if there is a burglar in the house, everyone should meet in that room. Then, if an emergency strikes, lock yourself in and call the police.

How do you keep your kids safe at home?

next: Octuplets -- I Am Your Father!
Xrumer mods December 29, 2010, 7:08 PM

How old are you? your writing style is great!

diamond rings December 30, 2010, 5:52 AM

I love the dear information you be offering for your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and have my youngsters check up here generally. I am relatively sure they’re going to be informed quite a lot of new stuff right here than any one else!

Browsergames December 30, 2010, 12:12 PM

I image this may well be various upon the written content? even so I still consider that it can be appropriate for nearly any form of topic material, because it would steadily be enjoyable to determine a heat and delightful face or possibly pay attention a voice while initial landing.

Dark Circle Eye serum December 30, 2010, 8:59 PM

Thank you for making the trustworthy attempt to talk about this. I feel very sturdy about it and want to read more. If it’s OK, as you achieve extra intensive wisdom, may you thoughts adding more articles very similar to this one with additional information? It might be extremely helpful and helpful for me and my friends.

Personalised Gifts December 31, 2010, 7:31 AM

Hey, I just hopped over for your website online by the use of StumbleUpon. Not something I would normally learn, but I liked your thoughts none the less. Thanks for making one thing price reading.

Personalised Gifts December 31, 2010, 11:23 PM

Thank you for making the sincere attempt to explain this. I think very strong about it and wish to be informed more. If it’s OK, as you reach more intensive knowledge, may you thoughts adding extra posts very similar to this one with additional info? It might be extraordinarily useful and helpful for me and my colleagues.

puzzle January 1, 2011, 1:43 AM

I feel that may be an interesting aspect, it made me assume a bit. Thank you for sparking my considering cap. Now and again I get so much in a rut that I simply feel like a record.

astro club January 1, 2011, 3:05 AM

Good points?I’d be aware that as somebody who in reality doesn’t write on blogs so much (actually, this can be my first put up), I don’t assume the term ‘lurker’ may be very becoming to a non-posting reader. It’s not your fault in the slightest degree , but perhaps the blogosphere may just get a hold of a greater, non-creepy name for the ninety% people that experience studying the content material .

Free Press Release January 1, 2011, 9:47 PM

Thanks for making the trustworthy attempt to provide an explanation for this. I believe very strong about it and want to learn more. If it’s OK, as you reach more intensive knowledge, could you thoughts including more posts very similar to this one with more information? It might be extraordinarily useful and helpful for me and my colleagues.

Free Press Release January 2, 2011, 1:24 AM

Thank you for making the trustworthy effort to speak about this. I believe very robust about it and wish to read more. If it’s OK, as you acquire extra in depth wisdom, might you thoughts including extra articles similar to this one with additional information? It could be extraordinarily useful and useful for me and my friends.

Andrew Pelt January 4, 2011, 10:44 AM

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it
Regards
Al Khafji

Luigi Fulk January 5, 2011, 4:41 AM

Intimately, the post is in reality the freshest topic on this registry related issue. I concur with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your forthcoming updates. Saying thanks will not just be enough, for the wonderful clarity in your writing. I will immediately grab your rss feed to stay abreast of any updates.

Wrinkle System Skin Care January 6, 2011, 11:28 PM

I believe that may be a fascinating point, it made me assume a bit. Thank you for sparking my considering cap. Infrequently I am getting so much in a rut that I just feel like a record.

Green Smoke Electronic Cig January 7, 2011, 1:28 AM

Just right issues?I’d be aware that as anyone who actually doesn’t write on blogs much (if truth be told, this may be my first put up), I don’t think the time period ‘lurker’ may be very becoming to a non-posting reader. It’s no longer your fault in the slightest degree , but most likely the blogosphere may get a hold of a greater, non-creepy title for the 90% of us that experience studying the content material .

Eye Cream January 7, 2011, 1:35 AM

Unusual this publish is totaly unrelated to what I used to be looking out google for, however it was listed at the first page. I assume your doing one thing right if Google likes you adequate to put you on the first web page of a non related search.

Eye Cream Reviews January 7, 2011, 2:11 AM

Thanks for making the sincere try to give an explanation for this. I think very strong approximately it and wish to be informed more. If it’s OK, as you attain more in depth wisdom, would you thoughts adding extra posts very similar to this one with additional info? It might be extraordinarily useful and useful for me and my colleagues.

Skin Cream Reviews January 8, 2011, 12:30 AM

Strange this post is totaly unrelated to what I was searching google for, but it used to be listed on the first page. I guess your doing something proper if Google likes you sufficient to place you on the first web page of a non comparable search.

Whitney Plyer January 8, 2011, 1:20 PM

hiya anyone, I was just checkin’ out this site and I really love the basis of the article, and have nothing to do, so if anyone would like to to have an engrossing discussion about it, please contact me on twitter, my name is jacob robechaud

la martina January 11, 2011, 8:21 AM

I image this might be numerous upon the written content? then again I still believe that it could be suitable for nearly any type of matter material, because it could frequently be satisfying to determine a warm and pleasant face or possibly listen a voice when initial landing.

اغاني January 15, 2011, 11:35 AM

Peculiar this publish is totaly unrelated to what I used to be searching google for, however it used to be indexed at the first page. I suppose your doing one thing proper if Google likes you enough to put you on the first page of a non comparable search.