Be the Life of the Coupon Party

We heard on GMA this morning that "coupon parties" are all the rage with moms across the country.

Two woman cutting coupons

It's officially a recession when women meet to clip coupons and call it a party.

Chrissy Pate and Kristin McKee are two Kansas City, Mo., moms who have launched Be CentsAble Workshops. It costs $25 to attend, and they say their guests will make that money back in their first shopping trip.

Here are their top tips:

Layer savings - Look for sales, then check to see if there are coupons for those same sale items. Go to a store that gives double coupon credit. Best of all, combine the manufacturer's coupon with a coupon offered by the store.

Use two coupons on buy-one-get-one-free items - If something is buy-one-get-one-free, you can still use two coupons because technically you're buying two products. "And, if you have a buy-one-get-one-free coupon, and it's a buy-one-get-one-free sale, cha ching! -- you can get them both free," Pate said.

Do your homework - Visit sites like couponmom.com to research sales circulars and savings.

Pate and McKee save other people time by sharing the best deals they find on their website, www.becentsable.net.

They are in such demand that now they are training other people to hold coupon parties. They have already signed up people to teach in 20 different states.

"We just saved our families so much money that we felt we had to share it," McKee said.

Have you ever attended a coupon party? If not, would you?

next: Fire at Ellen's Studio!
Anonymous February 12, 2009, 9:57 PM

Sounds like a scam to me.

Kristin February 13, 2009, 10:35 AM

Please come check out the information. People often feel like things they don’t understand are a scam. We appreciate that but hope that “skeptics” will give it a chance before going out and spreading their misunderstanding around. We are two typical families who just found a way to do things better! The feww hundred people we’ve had attend our workshops would agree!

Mom Logic: Thanks for mentioning us!

Leigh  February 15, 2009, 11:57 AM

While I have not done this in such a serious manner, I’ve have used these tricks of the coupon trade myself over the years and know they work. And no, it never took me much time.

Anonymous February 25, 2009, 11:06 AM

Hmm….twenty-five bucks to learn how to use COUPONS? “Top Tips” include “check for sales”? Wow. How about this tip: Don’t pay money for common sense tips. They’re already…common. Of course you can save ALOT of money sharing info about sales, coupon sources, etc. I guess if you really don’t think you understand how to use a coupon, this might be valuable.

mimi March 6, 2009, 5:54 PM

This is a great idea…wish I would have thought of it myself. I have been using coupons for over 20 years and wish I could have had someone clue me in on the tips right away instead of teaching myself over the course of time. Kudos.

Stacy March 6, 2009, 9:16 PM

I’ve been wondering when this was going to happen…coupon parties I mean. I started “working” coupons last year and it became addicting. I like this idea. I saved sooooo much money using coupons. And when I talked to my friends about how much I was saving, they were VERY interested, so I know these coupon parties will definitely work.

Tina March 13, 2009, 11:35 AM

No scam here. Common sense is all it takes someone says. Well if you are working like crazy to take care of a famliy and have never been taught to do this, $25 is well worth it. Don’t insult those of us who never took the time to bother with coupons the right way…we need this program to benefit our families!

renea March 25, 2009, 2:47 PM

Some of these coupon tips are not common to most people. I never knew I was allowed to combine store coupons with MQ’s until a year ago. Nor did I know I could use BOGO coupons with BOGO sales. For long time coupon users, those might seem like obvious tips, but many people aren’t aware of all these little tricks.

candy April 17, 2009, 12:34 AM

Sure, great idea, but… $25 for an entrance fee to attend the party?!?! Wow! At that rate, those who hold these parties, and even more so, those who invented them, won’t need to save money for their families by clipping and using coupons anymore!!! I don’t mind someone making a fair profit for a good idea and their labor involved, but the price seems pretty steep, to say the least. Would not a $10 admission fee to these parties, at most, still allow them to earn a good profit and be enough to charge those who need to save money on their groceries? I’m sorry, but I believe that many families who need the help and could truly benefit from these ideas would not be able to afford that steep $25 entrance fee.

Jami May 9, 2009, 9:34 PM

$25.00 is not that expensive. My parties include the coupon organizer as well as lots of freebie door prizes and samples. Many people think they know how to coupon but actually end up spending more time and money than they need . When you walk out of a grocery store with $100 worth of groceries for $10.00 you might start singing a Coupon parties praises.

buffy June 15, 2009, 12:30 AM

I used coupons for decades and now I don’t have to. I have had a PhD in penny-pinching all my life!

Never any debt gets you there!

Annie September 26, 2009, 5:21 PM

If the $25 fee is used as a fundraiser for charity - I’d definitely be in - if not? Forget about it - it is a scam.

I use coupons regularly - and am asked by people how I make the savings - I learned all I know from freely available sites - such as couponmom.com and afullcup.com or similar.

Fashion Merchandising October 12, 2010, 5:27 PM

I am a recent graduate of the Fashion Institute of Technologies in New York and am now at this time doing work on the forum to provide all marketplace experts with each other.

Credit Card Processing December 22, 2010, 4:42 AM

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 3:02 PM

Interesting post. Good reading. There’s a single thing to give about funny shirts.

Homer Patuel January 22, 2011, 9:31 AM

I’m a visiting tutor at Goldsmiths University, London, and am to the editorial board of an online forum for sector pros.

diamond January 26, 2011, 5:17 AM

Character is everything, so we pauperism to ensure that there are values on what we are sharing to book our subscribers involved. Effort them harassed is one feeling we must line do!
funny sms

Immobilier Bretagne March 7, 2011, 2:26 AM

I used to be very happy to seek out this net-site.I needed to thanks in your time for this glorious read!! I undoubtedly having fun with each little little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to check out new stuff you weblog post.

Coupon Codes March 25, 2011, 12:42 PM

Uncertain if Discount coupons can be extremely the solution topersonal issues nonetheless it without doubt can certainly help

tabletki na pryszcze April 3, 2011, 7:21 AM

Very interesting info, i am waiting for more !!! Keep updating your website and you will have a lot o readers