Child Calls 911 for Mommy to Come Home

The 911 call the five-year-old made looking for his mom breaks our heart. Click to listen to an excerpt of the call.

boy on phone

A 23-year-old woman has been arrested and charged with leaving her three young children alone. Shanita N. Murdock faces three counts each of first-degree wanton endangerment and of endangering the welfare of a minor after her 5-year-old child called 911:

Dispatcher: This is 911. Do you have an emergency?
Child: I need my mama back. She's not here. We're here by ourselves.

Listen to an excerpt of the call:

When police investigated they found three children, ages 5, 3 and 1, at home alone.
The children had dirty diapers and hadn't eaten all day. Luckily, even though the home is in the area hit by the recent ice storms, it did have power and was warm.

The children were taken into custody by Child Protective Services.

next: Friend Fight -- Who's Right? Tell It to the Judge!
kristin February 4, 2009, 8:08 PM

it just defies logic how a mother can make the decision to leave her babies alone.

Jen February 4, 2009, 9:21 PM

That is so sad. It is so difficult to understand how this happens.

Sarah Berry February 5, 2009, 9:52 AM

That is so scary. Thank goodness that the children are okay. I hope that where ever they are they are being taken care of. I hope they throw the book at the mom!

Jessica February 5, 2009, 10:14 PM

This makes me sick. I’m so glad that little boy called 911. It’s sad to think how many times this mother got away with this crap!

maeby February 6, 2009, 11:03 AM

wow that is so sad. but what a smart kid! glad the kids are ok

mel February 9, 2009, 6:38 PM

Okay so no I don’t think it was right for the mom to leave those three small babies alone…but at the same time what was mom off doing…you’d be very surprised how often this happens due to mostly single parents who leave everyday to go to work just to try and survive and not being able to afford a sitter and not getting welfare help or do but not enough to make it…i work in healthcare and i see this alot…we all seem to judge the parent in these situations and never realy know or understand why they could…but who knows what you would do if put in a have to situation…we need to stop assuming and try to help fix the problem and pointing fingers it would make this world a more pleasent place to live…only judge if you want the same judgement on you!!!

Anonymous February 12, 2009, 4:51 PM

I agree with me!. I am a 25 year single mom. I only have 1 child and I had him after I graduated from college but I do understand. I can’t relate totally because I can’t leave my son in the car for 2 seconds by himself. We don’t know what going on and why she left them alone. At least the 5 year old knew how to call 911. I feel bad for that mom and the children. I’ll keep them in my prayers.

Ju February 25, 2009, 10:54 PM

This is sad. I hope she had a legit reason to leave them alone like that. The fact that they had dirty diapers and not eaten all day … maybe she hadn’t meant to be gone that long. Just trying to be optimistic. Though it can feel burdensome at times (though I mentally kick myself whenever I feel that) I never leave my daughter alone, even if it’s just popping downstairs to the car b/c I forgot my cell phone. Even if I have to dress her up all over again if the weather’s cold. For single parents, I feel for you, but were these children from a marriage or did she just have them because she’s careless? Was there no one to call to watch them for 5 minutes?