This actually happened to one family in a hotel ... and now they are fighting back!
What would you do if your 22-month-old boy choked on a used condom left behind in a hotel by a previous guest? That's exactly what happened to one family, and now they're suing mad!
According to a lawsuit filed by the Wolfe family of Pittsburg, Mass., the Wolfes were driving home from Florida when their nightmare began. On January 3, they checked into room 142 of the Homewood Suites in Mount Laurel, NJ before finishing their drive home.
The stay was uneventful until the morning they were scheduled to check out. Father Steven Wolfe had gone out to get breakfast and coffee, mom Amy Wolfe was helping their four-year-old son on the potty, and their nine-year-old daughter was playing Nintendo. What no one knew though was instead of being on the pull-out sofa watching TV, where everyone though he was, their toddler was chewing on a condom -- A USED CONDOM -- that had been left in the room by a previous hotel guest.
The mother, Amy, heard her little boy chewing and choking. She rushed over and and tried to get the used condom out of his mouth, but he had already "ingested the contents," according to the lawsuit.
The family's lawsuit claims that Homewood Suites and its subsidiaries, Hilton and Blackstone, put the boy at risk by leaving the "life-threatening" item in the room and subjecting the boy to an increased risk of contracting a "sexually transmitted disease, including HIV or AIDS, or some other, potentially life-threatening, potentially fatal illness."
"The baby had to go through a lot of testing, and continues to, because of this disgusting, horrific incident that essentially violated the whole family, but mostly the young boy," said the Wolfes' attorney, Norm Hobbie, of Eatontown, Monmouth County. "It's an extremely sensitive time for them."
The 15-count complaint contends that all five Wolfes suffered severe mental anguish witnessing the incident, and that the boy's siblings likely would have "psychiatric scars" because of it.
It says that Steven Wolfe has been forced to spend "great sums of money" to help cure his wife of a "loss of enjoyment of life."
We were so shocked by this story that we decided to call momlogic's pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson to see what the long term effects on this child might be. Here's what she had to say:
"There are two different kinds of risk here. The more immediate on was the risk of choking. Any plastic or latex item (usually balloon fragments but in this case a condom) can cover the entrance to the airway and result in death.
"The less immediate--but still extremely worrisome--risk in this case is that of a sexually transmitted disease. If the child had open sores in her mouth (for instance, if she was teething and had inflammation along her gums) sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV, hepatitis B, or hepatitis C could theoretically gain entrance to her bloodstream. This is why the child must be tested for STDs. Unfortunately, some of these diseases may take some
time to show up, and so the testing continues and she is not out of the woods quite yet."
Momlogic called the Homewood Suites where the family stayed to see what they had to say about the Wolfe's lawsuit. We spoke to the manager, Melanie, who told us: "We don't comment on pending litigation."
What would you do in this situation? The first thing you'd need to do is stop your child from choking. Check out how to do the Heimlich maneuver and CPR on infants and children:
|Heimlich on a baby||Heimlich on a child||CPR on a baby||CPR on a child|