Chris and Rihanna: Just Another Statistic

The pictures of a battered Rihanna were shocking ... but the fact that a young girl is being abused by her boyfriend is not.

chris_rihanna_another_statistics_pm.jpg

Earlier today, pictures of a battered and bruised Rihanna were released, and shock waves rippled throughout the country. How could this possibly be? How could two of the music world's sweethearts who seemingly have it all be in an abusive relationship?

Well, according to California's Partnership to End Domestic Violence, it's not surprising that Brown, 19, and Rihanna, who turns 21 today, were involved in a domestic violence situation. Young people between the ages of 16-24 experience the highest per capita rate of intimate partner violence in the nation.

According to the US Bureau of Justice Statistics, an astounding one in three teens report having been abused by an intimate partner, or having a friend who has been abused.

Tara Shabazz, Executive Director of the California Partnership to End Domestic Violence, says the issue of teen dating violence still does not receive the attention it deserves.

"This is a huge problem that is facing so many young people in relationships," she says. "Dating violence is as serious in teen relationships as domestic violence is for adults, and it can have the same tragic consequences. I hope that the Chris Brown incident, coming so soon after Teen Dating Violence Awareness Week, will finally wake people to up the seriousness of the issue."

Becky George, a teen dating violence education coordinator, says these are some red flags a boyfriend could be abusive:

• overly jealous
• excessive text-messaging or calling
• monitoring calls and e-mails
• frequently showing up unannounced
• telling the other person what to do and wear
• publicly embarrassing the other
• frequent accusations of "cheating" or flirting
• keeping the other from doing things they enjoy
• threats of suicide or self-injury in the event of a breakup

Some research shows that 98% of teenage girls who have been abused continue to date the abuser. Your teen could be one of them.

If you suspect your daughter is in an abusive relationship, the following are some classic warning signs to watch out for:

• She apologizes for his behavior and makes excuses for him.
• She loses interest in activities that she used to enjoy.
• She stops seeing friends and family members and becomes more isolated.
• When your daughter and her boyfriend are together, he calls her names and puts her down in front of other people.
• He acts extremely jealous of others who pay attention to her, especially other guys.
• He thinks or tells your daughter that you don't like him.
• He controls her behavior, checking up on her constantly, calling and paging her, demanding to know who she has been with.
• She casually mentions his violent behavior, but laughs it off as a joke.
• She often has unexplained injuries, or the explanations she offers don't make sense.
• You see him violently lose his temper, striking or breaking objects.

"Teens' views on healthy relationships are based on what they see at home, in the media and with peers, who can be very detrimental to their own lives if their parents are in an abusive relationship," George said.

So what can YOU do if you think your teen or someone they know is in an abusive relationship? First and foremost, your teen needs your love, patience, and understanding. Tell them you are not there to judge -- but to listen. Let them know you suspect something is going on and you want to help. The next step? Check out local resources like crisis centers, teen help lines, and abuse hotlines. These organizations have professionally trained staff that can advise you on your options and the best way to get the teen out of the relationship. The most important thing is to make your teen feel safe and in control -- that is, of course, if they are in immediate danger, in which case contact the police immediately. In addition, church leaders, teachers, school counselors, administrators, doctors, and other health professionals can be a wealth of information and support.

In addition, you can also get involved at a school or community level as an advocate to help prevent future dating abuse. One school-based program is Safe Dates. Talk to your child's guidance counselor about starting a group or other ways to get involved in making sure dating abuse doesn't happen to people in their school.

Abuse has no place in love.

Seeing the chilling picture of Rihanna brings a new dimension to this sad story ... and gives us an uncensored look into this nationwide epidemic. THIS is the face of domestic violence. No woman should ever have to withstand such pain -- especially by the hands of the person who claims to love them most.

UPDATE: Rihanna's rep just released the following statement: "At the request of the authorities, Rihanna is not commenting about the incident involving Chris Brown."

next: George Mason University Crowns Man as Homecoming Queen
get backlinks December 2, 2010, 7:48 AM

Daniel, yea I can see what you did there. I actually favored that part, however hehe I’m not that harsh like my dad with these things. He always tells me crazy stories again within the day and calls me a loser. I guess it is time I transfer out of my parents’ basement LOL. Aaanyways, what about you? what does your dad think xD” Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

blog comment posting December 2, 2010, 7:56 AM

there are not a lot good supply like this.

backlinks google December 2, 2010, 8:03 AM

There are actually quite a lot of particulars like that to take into consideration. That may be a great point to carry up. I provide the ideas above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions just like the one you bring up the place an important factor will likely be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged round issues like that, however I’m sure that your job is clearly recognized as a fair game. Anyway, in my language, there aren’t a lot good supply like this.

backlinks building December 2, 2010, 8:13 AM

Your blog is fine. I just need to comment on the design. Its too loud. Its doing manner too much and it takes away from what youve obtained to say —which I feel is actually important. I dont know in case you didnt suppose that your phrases may hold everyones consideration, but you were wrong. Anyway, in my language, there will not be much good source like this.

rss maker December 2, 2010, 8:16 AM

Nice write-up, I am a giant believer in commenting on blogs to assist the weblog writers know that they’ve added something worthwhile to the world vast internet! (source roblox-cheats.com). Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

seo list December 2, 2010, 8:18 AM

Have you ever ever considered including extra movies to your blog posts to keep the readers more entertained? I mean I simply learn by your complete article of yours and it was fairly good but since I’m more of a visual learner,I discovered that to be extra useful effectively let me know the way it seems! I love what you guys are always up too. Such clever work and reporting! Sustain the great works guys I’ve added you guys to my blogroll. This can be a great article thanks for sharing this informative information.. I’ll go to your weblog regularly for some newest post. Anyway, in my language, there are usually not much good source like this.

linkwheel seo December 14, 2010, 3:26 AM

Can I make a suggestion? I believe youve received one thing good here. However what if you added a couple links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or perhaps you might give us something to look at, something that would join what youre saying to something tangible? Only a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good source like this.

link wheel December 14, 2010, 3:32 AM

Thanks for the smart critique. Me & my neighbour had been getting ready to do a little analysis about that. We got a superb e book on that matter from our local library and most books where not as influensive as your information. I’m very glad to see such data which I used to be searching for an extended time.This made very glad! Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good source like this.

best link wheel December 18, 2010, 2:30 AM

Took me time to learn all of the comments, however I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be very useful to me and I’m certain to all of the commenters right here! It’s all the time nice when you cannot solely learn, but additionally engaged! I’m certain you had joy scripting this article. Anyway, in my language, there aren’t a lot good source like this.

linkwheel services December 18, 2010, 2:31 AM

Can I make a suggestion? I believe youve obtained one thing good here. But what for those who added a pair links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or maybe you might give us something to have a look at, something that might connect what youre saying to something tangible? Just a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there are usually not much good source like this.

sim tu quy December 18, 2010, 8:19 AM

Hey cool blog, just questioning what anti-spam software you use for feedback because i get lots on my blog. Anyway, in my language, there should not much good supply like this.

sim loc phat December 18, 2010, 11:25 AM

Took me time to read all of the feedback, but I really loved the article. It proved to be very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters right here! It’s always good when you can not solely be informed, but in addition engaged! I’m positive you had pleasure penning this article. Anyway, in my language, there aren’t a lot good supply like this.

sim than tai December 18, 2010, 11:55 AM

Can I make a suggestion? I feel youve bought one thing good here. However what in case you added a couple links to a web page that backs up what youre saying? Or maybe you possibly can give us one thing to look at, something that may connect what youre saying to something tangible? Just a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good source like this.

kiem viec December 18, 2010, 9:27 PM

I used to be wondering if you want to be a guest poster on my web site? and in trade you may include a link your submit? Please reply whenever you get a chance and I will ship you my contact particulars - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there will not be much good supply like this.