Did Chris Brown Rough Up Rihanna?

Teen dating violence is on the rise all over the country ... now it hits Hollywood.

chris brown and rihanna

Last week was national "National Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Week." But teen dating violence was back in the spotlight over the weekend as 19-year-old Radio Disney sensation Chris Brown allegedly assaulted his girlfriend Rihanna over the weekend.

Domestic violence often starts early, and teens and young adults ages 16 to 24 are at the highest risk of their lives, according to experts working to get that message out.

"Dating violence is something that is unfortunately very common, and certain red flags are considered normal in our society," said Becky George, teen dating violence education coordinator.

Teenagers and young adults sometimes think jealousy, for instance, is a way of showing love, George said.

It's actually one of the warning signs of a potentially abusive relationship.

Other red flags:
• excessive text-messaging or calling
• monitoring calls and e-mails
• frequently showing up unannounced
• telling the other person what to do and wear
• publicly embarrassing the other
• frequent accusations of "cheating" or flirting
• keeping the other from doing things they enjoy
• threats of suicide or self-injury in the event of a breakup

Some research shows that 98% of teenage girls who have been abused continue to date the abuser. Your teen could be one of them.

If you suspect your daughter is in an abusive relationship, the following are some classic warning signs to watch out for:

• She apologizes for his behavior and makes excuses for him.
• She loses interest in activities that she used to enjoy.
• She stops seeing friends and family members and becomes more isolated.
• When your daughter and her boyfriend are together, he calls her names and puts her down in front of other people.
• He acts extremely jealous of others who pay attention to her, especially other guys.
• He thinks or tells your daughter that you don't like him.
• He controls her behavior, checking up on her constantly, calling and paging her, demanding to know who she has been with.
• She casually mentions his violent behavior, but laughs it off as a joke.
• She often has unexplained injuries, or the explanations she offers don't make sense.
• You see him violently lose his temper, striking or breaking objects.

"Teens' views on healthy relationships are based on what they see at home, in the media and with peers, which can be very detrimental to their own lives if their parents are in an abusive relationship," George said.

In a 2007 interview with Giant magazine, Brown said his mother had been physically abused by his stepfather. "He used to hit my mom," he was quoted as saying.

In a statement, police say Brown and his companion (presumably Rihanna) "became involved in an argument. After stopping his car, Brown and the woman got out and the argument escalated. The woman suffered visible injuries and identified Brown as her attacker."

By the time officers arrived on the scene, Brown had split.

An eyewitness tells RadarOnline.com: "It was some time after 12PM [Sunday] and I had been waiting in the ER department corridor at Cedars Sinai hospital when Rihanna was brought through the back entrance on a gurney, flanked by two LAPD officers. It was impossible to know it was her at first because when they wheeled her past me, she had the hood on her fuchsia-colored sweatshirt tightly drawn round her face and she was wearing big brown sunglasses. They took her into room 14 which was opposite me. It had a six-foot glass door but the nurses drew a privacy curtain around it."

"I knew the person was famous because of all the attention she was being given by security and medical staff. However, they didn't draw the curtain all the time and I was finally able to make out that the woman they had brought in was Rihanna. She was lying in bed. While the two police officers waited outside, Rihanna was seen by the doctor. When he left, a plain clothes officer in a mismatched suit went in. I figured he was a detective because I saw the handcuffs in his belt. He stayed in there for about an hour."

"When he left, Rihanna's two female assistants went in to see her and a private security guard stood outside. The police officers were given room 10 to use which was close to Rihanna's. "Rihanna was clearly very upset by what had happened and I could hear her screaming. Rihanna was trying to get her point across about something, she sounded like she was crying as she tried to get to put her point across."

"Her staff was also very shaken by what had happened. Later on I saw one of the assistants crying into the shoulder of the security guard. I left at 4 PM, happy to get out of the place, something terrible had clearly happened to Rihanna."

Brown, 19, turned himself in at the LAPD's Wilshire station around 6:30 PM Sunday and was booked on suspicion of making criminal threats, a charge that carries a maximum penalty of four years. The case will now be sent to the district attorney's office and further charges could be filed. He was released from jail after posting $50,000 bail.

"He was very professional and didn't appear to have injuries," said Sgt. Bridget Pickett, adding, "He's a good looking young man."

Both Chris Brown and Rihanna in turn withdrew from scheduled performances at the Grammys.

Wrigley has told "Extra" they plan to "suspend" the gum commercials featuring the singer. The statement says, "Wrigley is concerned by the serious allegations made against Chris Brown. We believe Mr. Brown should be afforded the same due process as any citizen. However, we have made the decision to suspend the current advertising featuring Brown and any related marketing communications until the matter is resolved."

We will keep you posted as this disturbing story develops.

ashley February 10, 2009, 8:37 AM

i feel so bad for Rihanna because chris shouldent of did that to her!!! but i kind of think chris did the right thing! well until we really find out what really happend i will keep in contact. well bye
-ashley

Ya use to be fan February 10, 2009, 8:57 AM

omg CHRIS I HOPE YOU READ THIS I CANT BELIEVE YOU WOULD DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT I HATE U I USE TO LOVE YOUR MUSIC BUT KNOW I FREAKN HATE YOU AND RIHANNA I WOULDVE BEAT HIS …… AND THATS THE TRUTH YOU DONT LET NO MAN RUN OVER YOU LIKE THAT I STILL LOVE YOU RIHANNA BUT I HATE YOU CHRISTOPHER M. BROWN AND HATE IS A STRONG WORD I CANT PICTURE YOU IN JAIL …YOU WILL NOT SURVIVE … PRETTY BOY..

shelvon February 10, 2009, 9:22 AM

it was wrong for him to do a thing like that but lets be real we all know that rihanna gave him a reason………..chris still my boy and this is just a mountain in his career that he WILL see through

Natia February 10, 2009, 9:31 AM

Idk but there is something telling me not to believe this. Even though chris is not a lil boy no more I dont believe someone like him would hit Rihanna and to me if he did hit her She had to do something to make him hit her? Maybe she hit him first? who knows. Rihanna aint no saint neither. I dont know what it is but I just am not believing he would do something like this to any woman. Knowing how his mother is and things like that. Now I Do love chris brown and yes I am a teen but im not just saying this because im a big fan . im Saying this because I just dnt believe he would do and in this case its her story; his story and the truth. And right now We really dont know the truth. And until I find out the truth Im not taking any sides.

BRITTNAY GAINS NO  February 10, 2009, 9:37 AM

0H STAY 0UT 0F PE0PLE B-NESS,THAT’S WHAT WR0NG WITH YALL NOW YALL ALWAYS W0RRYING AB0UT EVERYB0DY ELSES BUT YALLS S0 WHAT HIS HE WAS CHEATING GET OVER IT EVERYBODY DOES IS DANG AND YEA HE SHOULD NOT OF HIT HER HE WAS WRONG FOR DOING THAT IN FRONT OF PEOPLE OR BEHIND CLOSED DOORS SHE A VERY PRETTY FEMALE S SHE SHOULD GET HER A MAN NOT A LITTLE BOY AND ALL THESE RUMORS YOU WASN’T THERE SO STOP TELLING FALSE STUFF…

juvy February 10, 2009, 10:53 AM

yo chris what happen to you. .ur my great idol but there is a justice to follow my god chris i was dis appointed. .but do ur best dude im still ur fan.

Beautiful Liar February 10, 2009, 11:50 AM

im very mad about diz rihanna dont deserve diz crud she could do way better then dat lousy chris brown that dam woman beater who the hell does he think he is beaten on rihanna for wat ever stupid reason crossed his mind i hope he gets some jail time for this and he losses his good boy image crap the boy had us all fooled but rihanna is the best and she a strong woman that gonna recover soon!!!!

nay February 10, 2009, 1:44 PM

Wow im shocked about this u were so many ppls idol but when this was on ETcanada wow i don’t even have words to say about this,i bet u did’t mean to hit her i no what ur going threw just prayer to god that u won’t go to jail say sorry to rhianna make a song for her so ppl no that ur sorry.luv nay im still ur fan but still shocked though

Anonymous February 10, 2009, 2:28 PM

i really cant believe it. but i still love chris. but i guess i was wrong about him. he not so sweet and innocent but mistakes happen he probally didn mean to do it did he?

Anonymous February 10, 2009, 2:54 PM

hey chris wats up with u god

Eish February 10, 2009, 3:35 PM

Shame on you chris. You’re lucky i wasn’t the 1 u hit cos u best believe that right now u’d b in a coma!

kenia February 10, 2009, 3:39 PM

I say, we need to get the whole story im positively sure Rihanna instigated the whole situation, she makes good music but her attitude sucks, such a shame Chris got caught up in this mess! I hope for the best!

Kenia @k@ Kween

Anonymous February 10, 2009, 3:41 PM

I’m not really a big fan of Rihanna, because she is dating Chris and all, but come on Chris, get real. Violence won’t solve anything. I’m not falling all over you like I used to, but I am still a fan, and you have lost many points with me, along with several other fans worlwide. I really hope you can be forgiven for what you did and that this won’t have a major effect on your career. I suggest to get yourself back on your feet write a song entitled “Sorry”, directed to Rihanna, and your fans, to let everybody see your sotft side, not some 19-year-old R&B sensation who pushes girls around. Good Luck with Rihanna, your career, and mostly the rest of your life!!

mi mi February 10, 2009, 4:27 PM

Oh Boy, I do not believe that any man should ever fight on a woman. But we all must remember that boy is young. That girl is young who is to say Rihanna did not hit him first. Still I know no excuse to hit a woman. All I am saying is they are young. Now this is for all you people out there, has a man ever hit you when you were young or old? I mean even if it was a shove. Think about it. They are making this young superstar talented boy look like hitler. True take away some of his money, even maybe his doublemint endorsement, make him make a public apology “like they did Michael the swimmer” send him to anger management, but don’t put the boy on welfare and put him in jail and throw away the key. My goodness. From my understanding the girl didn’t even want to cooperate about Chris doing this. So what is that telling you about her. The media and the state that it happened and these people always acting like they care so much about domestic problems, they need to worry about that lady Casey that killed that poor baby of hers. Yeah thats right concentrate on keeping her in jail. Poor little Caylee. Murderers have a better rap. I guess this come with fame and ?

moha February 10, 2009, 5:06 PM

chris brown is so hot but not with rihanna but yea i feel as that is there besumeaa

kia February 10, 2009, 6:03 PM

honestly I don’t think people should beat him up for this everyone make mistakes but he is wrong. I would expect much more of him but I can’t accuse him because of a rumor because most of the time they are lies. I forgive him if he did do it I think thats what rihanna should do.

Anonymous February 10, 2009, 6:11 PM

What did she dot him for Chris to put his hnds on her?

NALESS February 10, 2009, 6:18 PM

Let’s wait until the whole story comes out before decisions are made. I have heard rumors that there was another woman involved. Also just because he was charged does not mean that that is what happened. Let the police investigate the case before we all rush to judge. He may be guilty, but he may also be innocent

Jasmine February 10, 2009, 6:49 PM

chris for real i am mad cuz you look like da tipe of man who wouldnt hit women but im not all that upset anymore cuz i really dont know what happend

JASMINE February 10, 2009, 7:15 PM

I CANT BELIEVE YOU CHRIS BROWN NO DISRESPECT BUT IF YOU WOULD HAVE HIT ME YO AZZ WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT IN A HOSPITAL SOMEWHERE I LOVE YOU AND RIHANNA BUT WHAT YOU DID WAS WRONG I DONT I KNOW WHAT REALLY HAPPEND BUT I HPE THIS DONT HAPPEND AGAIN I FEEL SO SORRY FOR RIHANNA I HOPE SHE IS OK CHRIS FOR NOW ON YOU NEED AN I JUST HERD I HAVE BEEN BEATEN ON RIHANNA FOR A WHILE I REALLY DONT KNOW WIF I SHOULD LIKE YOU OR NOT YOU REALLY NEED TO RELAX YO BRAIN MUSCLES CUZ THE WAY YOU BE BEATEN ON GIRLS IS NOT COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!