Did Chris Brown Rough Up Rihanna?

Teen dating violence is on the rise all over the country ... now it hits Hollywood.

chris brown and rihanna

Last week was national "National Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Week." But teen dating violence was back in the spotlight over the weekend as 19-year-old Radio Disney sensation Chris Brown allegedly assaulted his girlfriend Rihanna over the weekend.

Domestic violence often starts early, and teens and young adults ages 16 to 24 are at the highest risk of their lives, according to experts working to get that message out.

"Dating violence is something that is unfortunately very common, and certain red flags are considered normal in our society," said Becky George, teen dating violence education coordinator.

Teenagers and young adults sometimes think jealousy, for instance, is a way of showing love, George said.

It's actually one of the warning signs of a potentially abusive relationship.

Other red flags:
• excessive text-messaging or calling
• monitoring calls and e-mails
• frequently showing up unannounced
• telling the other person what to do and wear
• publicly embarrassing the other
• frequent accusations of "cheating" or flirting
• keeping the other from doing things they enjoy
• threats of suicide or self-injury in the event of a breakup

Some research shows that 98% of teenage girls who have been abused continue to date the abuser. Your teen could be one of them.

If you suspect your daughter is in an abusive relationship, the following are some classic warning signs to watch out for:

• She apologizes for his behavior and makes excuses for him.
• She loses interest in activities that she used to enjoy.
• She stops seeing friends and family members and becomes more isolated.
• When your daughter and her boyfriend are together, he calls her names and puts her down in front of other people.
• He acts extremely jealous of others who pay attention to her, especially other guys.
• He thinks or tells your daughter that you don't like him.
• He controls her behavior, checking up on her constantly, calling and paging her, demanding to know who she has been with.
• She casually mentions his violent behavior, but laughs it off as a joke.
• She often has unexplained injuries, or the explanations she offers don't make sense.
• You see him violently lose his temper, striking or breaking objects.

"Teens' views on healthy relationships are based on what they see at home, in the media and with peers, which can be very detrimental to their own lives if their parents are in an abusive relationship," George said.

In a 2007 interview with Giant magazine, Brown said his mother had been physically abused by his stepfather. "He used to hit my mom," he was quoted as saying.

In a statement, police say Brown and his companion (presumably Rihanna) "became involved in an argument. After stopping his car, Brown and the woman got out and the argument escalated. The woman suffered visible injuries and identified Brown as her attacker."

By the time officers arrived on the scene, Brown had split.

An eyewitness tells RadarOnline.com: "It was some time after 12PM [Sunday] and I had been waiting in the ER department corridor at Cedars Sinai hospital when Rihanna was brought through the back entrance on a gurney, flanked by two LAPD officers. It was impossible to know it was her at first because when they wheeled her past me, she had the hood on her fuchsia-colored sweatshirt tightly drawn round her face and she was wearing big brown sunglasses. They took her into room 14 which was opposite me. It had a six-foot glass door but the nurses drew a privacy curtain around it."

"I knew the person was famous because of all the attention she was being given by security and medical staff. However, they didn't draw the curtain all the time and I was finally able to make out that the woman they had brought in was Rihanna. She was lying in bed. While the two police officers waited outside, Rihanna was seen by the doctor. When he left, a plain clothes officer in a mismatched suit went in. I figured he was a detective because I saw the handcuffs in his belt. He stayed in there for about an hour."

"When he left, Rihanna's two female assistants went in to see her and a private security guard stood outside. The police officers were given room 10 to use which was close to Rihanna's. "Rihanna was clearly very upset by what had happened and I could hear her screaming. Rihanna was trying to get her point across about something, she sounded like she was crying as she tried to get to put her point across."

"Her staff was also very shaken by what had happened. Later on I saw one of the assistants crying into the shoulder of the security guard. I left at 4 PM, happy to get out of the place, something terrible had clearly happened to Rihanna."

Brown, 19, turned himself in at the LAPD's Wilshire station around 6:30 PM Sunday and was booked on suspicion of making criminal threats, a charge that carries a maximum penalty of four years. The case will now be sent to the district attorney's office and further charges could be filed. He was released from jail after posting $50,000 bail.

"He was very professional and didn't appear to have injuries," said Sgt. Bridget Pickett, adding, "He's a good looking young man."

Both Chris Brown and Rihanna in turn withdrew from scheduled performances at the Grammys.

Wrigley has told "Extra" they plan to "suspend" the gum commercials featuring the singer. The statement says, "Wrigley is concerned by the serious allegations made against Chris Brown. We believe Mr. Brown should be afforded the same due process as any citizen. However, we have made the decision to suspend the current advertising featuring Brown and any related marketing communications until the matter is resolved."

We will keep you posted as this disturbing story develops.

JASMINE February 10, 2009, 7:18 PM

I CANT BELIEVE YOU CHRIS BROWN NO DISRESPECT BUT IF YOU WOULD HAVE HIT ME YO AZZ WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT IN A HOSPITAL SOMEWHERE I LOVE YOU AND RIHANNA BUT WHAT YOU DID WAS WRONG I DONT I KNOW WHAT REALLY HAPPEND BUT I HPE THIS DONT HAPPEND AGAIN I FEEL SO SORRY FOR RIHANNA I HOPE SHE IS OK CHRIS FOR NOW ON YOU NEED AN I JUST HERD I HAVE BEEN BEATEN ON RIHANNA FOR A WHILE I REALLY DONT KNOW WIF I SHOULD LIKE YOU OR NOT YOU REALLY NEED TO RELAX YO BRAIN MUSCLES CUZ THE WAY YOU BE BEATEN ON GIRLS IS NOT COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deborah February 10, 2009, 7:28 PM

I hope everyone will hold Chris resposible for his actions. I won’t look at him the same way again. I hope other teens can learn by this situation. It can happen to anyone!!! It doesn’t matter how good they look or what they have going on. She should stay away if he did it once, he will do it again.

kiana February 10, 2009, 8:20 PM

omg i cant belive that you did that i used to be your fan but now im not

gabby February 10, 2009, 10:03 PM

you are all stupided rhianna has herpies thats why did you you guys see the newws you guys aretared

HEY. February 11, 2009, 8:40 AM

She gave him STD!!!! No he should not have hit her, but he reacted.. What should he have done? How would you have reacted, to find out that you would have to take medication for the rest of your life to control an STD… I am not saying that what he did was right because it wasn’t but she should have informed him of what he was getting into when he layed with her.

AMT February 11, 2009, 9:42 AM

There are two sides to every story nobody here can judge anybody. So Chris Brown is going to keep making money with or with out the Wrigley ad and as far for Rihanna she will come out of this a much stronger woman lets just hope it want happen Again. Peace and Much Love.

rugbymom February 11, 2009, 10:46 AM

Smoking weed and Beating the crap out of your girlfriend are totally different. Our system is way to lax on abusers. They need to send a strong message that this is not acceptable, while he is young, before it gets worse. He needs to pay for his crime, if that is what happened, and also get some therapy to ensure it does not ever happen again. Phelps smoking weed is unfortunate because he was a good role model for kids, but the only person he is hurting is himself!

TeeTee February 11, 2009, 10:55 AM

No one knows what really happened yet. All the facts to this case are not out. Maybe he did beat her or maybe he didn’t. Women have done crazier things then bruise themselves to get a guys attention. I am not defending anyone nor am I rallying the firing squad.

Kim February 11, 2009, 11:30 AM

I dont believe it. I don’t think chris would hurt his girlfriend. People are blowing it up into porportion. You think Rihanna did nothing? I’m sure chris wouldn’t just go up to her and hit her. It had to be something bad. I know its wrong to hit a woman but I mean this isn’t all his fault.

Aisha February 11, 2009, 1:37 PM

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid… Chris I am soooooooooooo ashamed of you…. to see I looked up to you and had all your songs… Those are gone now…

venisha February 11, 2009, 2:15 PM

Smh i can’t belivie u did that do u know how many young gurls like u and now u put ur hands on ur gurlfriend that makes ur fans think its ok if a man hit them now because chris brown hit rihanna…..ur a young handsome boy if u don’t wanna b with her anymore then say its over don’t put ur hands on a gurl even if ur stepfather did it 2 ur mother b the bigger person and walk away!!!

Anonymous February 11, 2009, 3:01 PM

He shouldn’t have had to tell her to wash the dishes more then once! I don’t blame the man for hitting her, when I want a sammich and if my bish doesn’t make it in time she gets the ol back hand across the kisser. I remember one time she wouldn’t give me road head while on the way to the anime convention so she ended up having to walk around with a mushroom stamp on her forehead for the rest of the day. Thats the way a real man handles his stable of hoes

Notalya February 11, 2009, 5:52 PM

It’s bad what he did to Rihanna.. but give the guy a break he’s only 19, and he made a mistake.. yo s*** happends… they can either work things out together or not! Chris is human just like u and i.

rihanna February 11, 2009, 6:52 PM

hey you rock girl friend

phebe blidi February 11, 2009, 7:27 PM

chris brown u need to stop cause i am sic of u’r girl friend rihanna because she needs to stop these things but remember that i still love u and her.

Kesha February 12, 2009, 1:32 AM

What I want to say is people fail to realize that celebs are human and go through the same things that we do. Money don’t make you happy. It can change your life style and get you better things but you still going to have the problems.Yeah he did what he did! We don’t know the whole story and everybody jumping down Chris throat and far as for him being a role model for the kids.The first role model should be the parent. He didn’t ask to be a role model for Know one he was following his dreams.

OMG February 12, 2009, 3:37 AM

OMG!!! What the hell is wrong with everyone. Beating on a women is NEVER right. Black, white, or whatever color it’s wrong. I won’t pray for him, I rather pray that none of you ladies or anyones daughter will have to go through what she went through. C’mon people, set an example.

seriously? February 12, 2009, 3:42 PM

I’m confused. Am I on a website for uneducated and ignorant people who have no idea how to write or speak? Why does everyone who makes a comment seem desperately mentally challenged? It is interesting to note that the people who support Brown are also the people who write as though they are illiterate. You are embarrassments and write like third graders with learning disabilties.

ashle February 12, 2009, 10:07 PM

WTF!!!!i cant belive tht chris did ths rhiana is like my role model I HOPE SHES OKAY!!!!!!!!!!

Parvin  February 12, 2009, 10:23 PM

I dont look at chris brown any other way just because he did that. i still love him..
honestlyy in my opinion whatever happened happened..
and soo manyy ppl are in their business…
i would be really annyed if i was themm..
this is no ones business..
he made a mistakeee