Chris Brown Admits to a Family History of Abuse

Is this the reason he allegedly beat up Rihanna?

Chris Brown
By now, you have probably heard about the allegations leveled at 19-year-old R&B sensation Chris Brown. Brown and his girlfriend, singer Rihanna, had been spotted together at a pre-Grammy event in the Beverly Hills Hilton. Shortly after, the Los Angeles Police Department says after an argument in a car, a "woman suffered visible injuries and identified Brown as her attacker." The LA Times reported today that Rihanna was that victim. Chris Brown has been booked on a felony criminal threats charge. If the D.A. files charges in the case, domestic violence charges could be added.

We don't know about you, but we were shocked to hear this story. However, in 2007 Brown told Giant magazine he has a history with domestic abuse -- his stepfather abused his mother for years. In the article, Brown recalls telling his mother at the age of 11, that some day, he would go to jail by age 15 for killing his abusive stepfather. "I just want you to know that I love you," he told her. "But I'm gonna take a baseball bat one day while you at work, and I'm gonna kill him."

The story took a bizarre and gruesome turn when he says his stepfather attempted suicide, shot himself in the head and missed his brain, sending the shot straight through his eyes. He survived the suicide attempt but was permanently blinded. "When you're blind, your senses are heightened, like your smell, hearing, your sense of touch," Brown explains. "You can move and maneuver around your sight. But he used to hit my mom ... He made me terrified all the time, terrified like I had to pee on myself. I remember one night he made her nose bleed. I was crying and thinking, 'I'm just gonna go crazy on him one day...' I hate him to this day."

Could all this pent-up rage be the reason Brown went on the attack? We spoke to Helga Luest, President and CEO of Witness Justice, about the dangerous cycle of violence. "It makes sense that someone who witnessed violence as a child would repeat the same behavior as an adult," says Luest. "Early exposure to domestic violence not only sets the tone for how a child believes adults should interact, but it also shapes his world view."

"What's more, for people who grew up viewing violence, there are certain life events that can trigger violent outbursts," Luest explains. "For example, for celebrities who explode into fame rather quickly and are viewed under a microscope, the media scrutiny could be a reminder of growing up in a house where you were scrutinized and punished for making mistakes."

As for the reports that Brown and Rihanna had a rocky relationship, Luest says it's possible some of their arguments mimicked the ones Brown grew up watching, and his supposed attack could have been served as a trigger for his outburst. "Whatever behavior kids see and hear growing up serves as a model for how men and women should behave," she says. "And even if you know the difference between right and wrong, those impressions can be difficult to overcome." The main problem, according to Luest, is that families don't talk about their experience -- and no one is using the word violence. Because of that, victims of abuse grow up to believe violence is normal and they end up repeating that behavior in their own relationships.

The bottom line is that kids -- especially those exposed to violence at a young age -- should seek counseling as soon as possible, to ensure they don't repeat the cycle of abuse.

next: Girl Afraid of Dentist Starves to Death
sniper games October 24, 2010, 7:57 PM

This site has got some very helpful information on it! Thank you for informing me!

Joelle Ehrismann October 25, 2010, 7:10 AM

I have been looking around on the internet hoping to get ideas on how to get my blog site coded, your overall design and style and design are excellent. Did you code it by yourself or did you recruit a programmer to get it done to suit your needs?

Christina Hendricks October 25, 2010, 10:55 AM

I just added your web site to my blog roll, I hope you’ll take into consideration doing the same.

Cliff Vallentine October 26, 2010, 7:40 PM

I was just going through your post it is quite well written, I’m searching through the internet trying to find out just how to do this weblog thing and your website definitely is quite impressive.

Leopoldo Martino October 27, 2010, 12:00 AM

I know you wish to allow something that deals with in a standard way.

Yukiko Atzinger October 27, 2010, 10:21 AM

My pal and I had been just discussing this subject, she actually is always seeking to prove me wrong! I am going to show her this particular write-up not to mention rub it in a little!

Tuan Abel November 13, 2010, 11:37 AM

My pal inquired which i come and read at this posting, she is truly do a school project on the subject. Were did you have your oringal info upon this or did you recover it?

take over car payments December 4, 2010, 10:47 PM

i had to go through it again since i could not grab the entire escence of the post in one go.That was a very articulate and logical point you make there.I appreciate you letting me know your thinking on this.

Examples Of Persuasive Speeches Outlines December 10, 2010, 11:28 PM

I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself.

medium length hairstyles 2013 December 22, 2010, 4:29 AM

Pay no attention to what the critics say… Remember, a statue has never been set up in honor of a critic!

gry dla doroslych December 28, 2010, 7:25 AM

Wow, what a fantastic web page. Greetings.

Benjamin Shelton December 29, 2010, 7:53 AM

You are a very intelligent individual!

Ernest Auel December 30, 2010, 4:49 AM

Hey there I’m getting a trouble visiting your web site, I’m given 403 pages pretty regularly, I am not much too certain why but once I refresh the page it returns alright.

hello kitty jewelry game December 30, 2010, 10:51 AM

Am i allowed to make a suggestion? I’m sure you have got sth great over here. Yet let’s say you added a few links to a site which backs up what you are you said? Or simply you might give us some extra information to look at, whatever might associate what exactly you were talking about, something more concrete?

GMAT study guide December 31, 2010, 9:18 PM

Hi there I am getting a difficulty using your blog, I am getting 404 messages very regularly, I’m not far too certain as to the reasons however when I refresh the page it comes right.

dieta personalizata January 3, 2011, 7:54 PM

I was beeing trying to find the Internet for this information and i wanted to thank you for the post. By the way, just off topic, how can i get a version of this theme? – 10x

phen375 reviews January 6, 2011, 4:45 PM

Ladies generally are not looking to lose enormous numbers of weight for the most part. The majority of the women and men making use of phen375 are simply trying to drop 5 to Twenty five lbs normally and normally the belly fat. Nearly all are healthful, navigate to the gym kind folks. They simply haven’t been able to lose the fat on their own belly or perhaps reach the Plato. Belly fat issues typically start to take place for women at about the time of or after giving birth and afterwards within age before being menopausal. It seems hitting ladies although right now there hormonal levels are usually transforming; it’s a standard procedure for life or perhaps is it? I am going to show you how the actual body fat stored in the actual stomach or perhaps stomach region is different and the much more you have of it the particular whores your hormone imbalance will become.

HostNine January 9, 2011, 6:45 PM

Greet!

Hostel Bridge Belgrade January 14, 2011, 1:51 AM

Hello.This post was extremely fascinating, particularly because I was investigating for thoughts on this issue last Sunday.

Kitchen Window Treatments January 15, 2011, 6:44 PM

Please, can you email me and tell me few more things about this, I am really fan of your webblog! just subscribed to your feed. Would you be interested in swapping site roll Thanks once more for sharing this online. I definitely enjoyed every part of it.