Consumer Reports Picks the Best Cup of Joe!

Consumer Reports chose Eight O'Clock Colombian coffee as the tastiest brand on the market - blowing Starbucks out of the water in the process.

eight270.jpg
They tested 19 different coffees that all varied in price. Eight O'Clock costs $6 per pound, less than half the price of Gloria Jean's, Peet's, and other pricey brands.

Dunkin' Donuts and Millstone were declared the best decaf coffees, followed closely by runner-up Folgers Gourmet Selection Lively Colombian.

Eight O'clock brand coffee is a vailable at Amazon.com or a grocery store near you.

next: Grown Up Girl Scouts Are Selling Cookies
steve February 7, 2009, 10:32 AM

The tasters have no taste

Carol February 7, 2009, 10:42 AM

Coffee preference is such an individual thing. Personally I love Starbucks Organic Shade Grown Mexico coffee. But I also love Folgers Columbian. I like Eight O Clock, but only the Columbian blend. I think it also depends on how you brew it. I don’t like Starbucks brewed in the store because it’s too bitter-not sure how they do it-but at home it’s not.

Anonymous February 7, 2009, 10:43 AM

tasters obviously do not like good coffee,survey by Consumers is ridiculous,as are many of their conclusions which are always price driven,not quality or esthetics

Brian February 7, 2009, 10:48 AM

OH PLEASE!!! I have been drinking Eight O’Clock for years. Starbucks is way overpriced for the quality of their coffee. True about the preference though, just like any food or drink.

Ted February 7, 2009, 10:52 AM

Chock full of nuts coffee is easily the best.

Anonymous February 7, 2009, 10:53 AM

who Ever did this tastiest knows notting about coffee Dunkin Donuts have the Worse tasting coffie .I will put starbuck over dkd eny day

Corey February 7, 2009, 10:58 AM

I’m sure it was a blind taste test. All you morons who think the testers were influenced by price are ignorant. Like most snobs, you’re blinded by price. You think that if it’s more money, it must be better. While that is true in some types of products, apprently coffee is not one of them.

Leroy February 7, 2009, 11:14 AM

Finally someone can see past the Starbucks veil of baloney.

I don’t understand why Starbucks is so popular. Over priced, tasts lousey, etc.

My preference is COSTCO’s 100% Arabian home brewed coffee.

Nana February 7, 2009, 11:33 AM

This is normal after their support to the Israelie forces,and I’m so glad for them.

Tim February 7, 2009, 11:41 AM

Eight ‘O Clock Whole Bean Columbian is delicious. I’ve been drinking it for years. It’s nice to see it finally get some credit.

Mr. Excitement February 7, 2009, 11:52 AM

Take that you coffee snobs. Not only are you snobs, but the stuff you are snobby about sucks!

Scott February 7, 2009, 12:02 PM

There isn’t $.05 worth of difference in the taste of the coffees sold at any supermarket. We take whatever is on sale and use a coupon, brew it correctly and they all turn out fine.

Tim February 7, 2009, 12:03 PM

LOL, it makes me laugh that some of you would consider Starbucks or even store bought coffee as good. If you want some good coffee, you have to get it fresh roasted like 2 days post roast. The coffee I see at Starbucks they have stickers saying that it is good for like a year! LOL, coffee goes bad people no matter what you do. I wouldn’t keep coffee that I brew no longer than 2 months maximum post roast and for espresso even less. Coffee is perishable and goes bad faster than what you think. If you want your coffee to taste out of this world, get it fresh roasted but allow it a few days to degas. Also, never buy coffee pre-grinded. You should always buy whole beans and grind only when you are going to use. The moment you grind coffee, it goes bad fast like less than a day.

Starbucks is way over rated. Their personnel are poorly trained and are a far cry from a true Barista. The coffee they use is old and stale giving their shots a very bitter taste. Coffee has subtle hints of stuff that you only get when it is fresh, ie chocolate, cherries, berries, ect.. Store bought coffee on the other hand, you don’t know how old it is! It could be 6months to a year old!

Some things to get:

1. A good coffee grinder, ie flat burr grinder or conical burr grinder. Blade grinders blow.

2. A good slow brewing machine. You want a machine that at least takes 5 minutes to brew coffee. Fast is bad in this case.

3. Fresh beans, fresh beans!! Use them 2 days post roast and not before. Allow beans to degas!

4. Do not store coffee in a fridge. Moisture is the enemy!! A dry dark place is all you need!

Who am I? I am a Coffee geek! :-)

Got:

Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine
Rancilio Rocky Coffee Grinder

Hey I figured, the amount I spend on Starbucks, I could buy a machine myself which I did. Saved me mucho dinero.

Caitlin February 7, 2009, 12:06 PM

I used to drink Eight O’Clock coffee years ago. It is excellent coffee. I think I will give it another try. The price is certainly more reasonable than Starbucks,and grinding the beans fresh always makes a better cup of cofee from most good brands.
Americans had better become more frugal and focused on VALUES rather than on designer labels, including coffee. Buying overpriced anything is no longer elite; it is just plain stupid.

Greg February 7, 2009, 12:24 PM

Only a ditz would pay big bucks for Starbucks. A fool and their money…

John February 7, 2009, 12:25 PM

At the airport in Minneapolis I grabbed a Starbucks french vanilla cappucino at $5.00 with tip, tasted burnt and just not that good, especially for $5.00. After that I grabbed another french vanilla cappucino from the vending machine for $1.00, that $1.00 cup of joe, had more flavor and was just a better cup of coffee.

Mark February 7, 2009, 12:36 PM

I have been a coffee drinker since 1981 (19 years old then)and I only drink Eight 0’clock coffee. I can buy a bag cheaper than I can buy a Latte’ from Star Bucks. My mom first introduced me to it back in the early seventies and that is all she ever drinked. I love grinding it at home and making it fresh.
Mark:~)

Janet February 7, 2009, 12:44 PM

I have been buying 8 o’ Clock Coffee for 20 + years. I’m glad others will now know how good it is. But I hope us “Old Faithfuls” can find it on the store shelves.

Anderson February 7, 2009, 12:46 PM

Oh…please these tasters must prefer Columbian coffee beans.

Jennifer February 7, 2009, 12:54 PM

I love a cup of rich black coffee. I like coffee so much sometimes I will drink a whole pot during the day. I do have to say that I don’t particularly like the pikes place that Starbucks has been serving lately but the fact that forgers is even in the running makes me leary of this taste test. Gloria Jeans actually has some great beans!! When I make a pot of their coffee it is really smooth (never bitter)and has incredible flavor. I guess I will have to try this 8 o’clock coffee but I have a feeling I probably wont agree with the test results.