Consumer Reports Picks the Best Cup of Joe!

Consumer Reports chose Eight O'Clock Colombian coffee as the tastiest brand on the market - blowing Starbucks out of the water in the process.

eight270.jpg
They tested 19 different coffees that all varied in price. Eight O'Clock costs $6 per pound, less than half the price of Gloria Jean's, Peet's, and other pricey brands.

Dunkin' Donuts and Millstone were declared the best decaf coffees, followed closely by runner-up Folgers Gourmet Selection Lively Colombian.

Eight O'clock brand coffee is a vailable at Amazon.com or a grocery store near you.

next: Grown Up Girl Scouts Are Selling Cookies
Michael  February 7, 2009, 1:02 PM

I work in a local cafe here in New Mexico called the Flying Star cafe and also our sister company Satellite Cafe. Our coffee we roast ourselves daily…and we don’t keep longer then a month! maybe 2 weeks tops! People love our coffee so much that the starbucks next to us (literally right next store) has lost a tone of business. I think its funny and also about time that starbucks go under cause it also gives a chance for all the local stores to rise and gives people a chance to tatse real coffee, not something that is roasted with chemical to preserve it so it lasts longer, coffee is not supposed to last longer then a year!
Just cause it say USDA organic approved does not mean it is organic!
Every empire has its day when it fall to the ground! People i urge you to get away from this giant corporation and try something that is local! you just might be surprised at what you have been missing!

j February 7, 2009, 1:04 PM

I saw an interview on one of the national news shows, I think it was 20/20, and they had spoke with one of the leading coffee tasters in the country. He reluctantly stated that McDonald’s coffee was better quality than Starbuck’s. So I don’t think it has anything to do with the inferior taste bud’s of the tester’s. It has more to do with buying into the snob appeal of the brand. That’s why people are so quickly saying that if you don’t like the brand you are unsophisticated.

s.a.r February 7, 2009, 1:07 PM

I do agree with another comment that Starbucks coffee brewed in the store is way too bitter.

Claire February 7, 2009, 1:14 PM

Thank goodness someone has finally put a stop to this Starbucks foolishness. It makes me sick seeing all these teenie-boppers walking around the mall with $5 coffees…who knows, maybe they cost more? Anyways…it’s such a waste of money and it would be nice to see Americans go back to the simplier way of life. I buy a HUGE tub of Folgers coffee at Walmart and pay $4.88 for it…it lasts a month and tastes great.

Anonymous February 7, 2009, 1:20 PM

starbucks taste like it was filtered through someones underware

moe February 7, 2009, 1:43 PM

All coffee brands are the same they all get it from same growers

Joe February 7, 2009, 1:45 PM

Consumer Reports I’m sure brewed the coffee the same way for each brand tested. Perhaps you should do you own taste test.
Personally I think starbucks coffee is not very good. I am willing to try different brands of coffee.

Starbucks bitter tasting coffee is due from using low level beans (higher the cheaper beans) the high the level (in the mountains) the less bitter it will be.

Bob February 7, 2009, 1:49 PM

No one should talk about the taste of coffee unless they drink it black. Those of you who drink cream with a splash of coffee would find anything taste OK, even if it was strained through dirty underwear. So, you are not the ones who should be talking snobbery factors.

Even though Starbucks may not be world class, may be expensive, and has too much body for some of you, it is by far the best thing available for the masses.

But please don’t call me a fool because I choose Starbucks over DD or some other coffee at fast food places. Dunkin Donuts changes my brain chemistry, makes me irritable, and literally makes me gag.

Phil February 7, 2009, 2:41 PM

Some of the convenience stores and fast food restuarants are starting to sell
gourmet coffee for less than starbucks. This could put a lot of starbucks stores out of business.

crystal February 7, 2009, 3:09 PM

starbucks is such a joke. its like the mcdonalds of coffee. people really have been brainwashed if they think its any good. the only thing i drink from starbucks is the tea. if i am going to pay for good coffee i only buy cowhill express coffees.

Christopher Hopkins February 7, 2009, 3:10 PM

I agree that Starbucks coffee is overrated and overpriced. The reason that so many people have spent so much money at Starbucks is not because they have the best coffee but instead they were buying the Starbucks experience, ie. decorations, personal touch when they called you by name , etc.. Now Starbucks has managed to slowly destroy their own brand buy growing too big, too fast. Putting a Starbucks on every corner and starting to sell their coffee in grocery stores, and letting the quality of their employees lapse was a very bad move by supposedly very intelligent people. I knew Starbucks would shhot themselves in the foot eventually and it looks like it has finally happened. That is what shareholders will do to your vision.

Becca Whitaker February 7, 2009, 3:16 PM

starbucks coffee is crap. they burn their coffee beans they say ” to get the essence of the bean”. they do more of a sear at a high heat whereas most coffees slow roast their beans over a low heat. its overpriced and people only like it as much as they do because they are told to. they figure since there’s a million of them then it has to be good. please. their pastries are pre frozen pieces of rock hardness that are way expensive and they also treat their employees poorly.i have watched so many cool, hip, environmentally conscientous, free trade believing, community oriented mom and pop coffee shops go under because of this stupid company. support local, people. branch out and try something different. most starbucks drinkers, i would dare say, know nothing about coffee. starbucks doesn’t even offer cafe au laits where i live in New Mexico. i work at a local coffee shop that serves organic, free trade coffee. we make our own amazing pastries and support local artists and events happening in the city. occasionally we will get some silly behind who will order a macchiato and then get all disappointed when it doesnt have syrup and crap all over it, the way a true macchiato doesn’t. sigh. anyway. Support local!!!

Anonymous February 7, 2009, 3:44 PM

i have a belly button

Jacki February 7, 2009, 3:55 PM

I’m so glad that people finally gave Sarbacks what they deserve…a poor rating. I have been to different Starbucks all over the country. I haven’t had a good cup of coffee or a decent mocha at any of them. As an ex-barista I know what it is supposed to taste like. And its definitely not supposed to taste like hot, stale, bitter, a** in a cup. I don’t believe in chargng $13 or so dollars a pound for the same ground beans you can buy store brand for say $4 per pound. For years people have been paying for the Starbucks name and not the quality. As people start to realize that their money is getting harder to come by they want to get true bang for their buck. And hey, why not buy cheaper coffee that tastes way better. Thanks Consumer Reports, for bringing it to everyone’s attention that Starbucks is over-rated and simply has crappy coffee!!

Ray February 7, 2009, 3:59 PM

We had some friends over for New Year’s breakfast. One of them is a “coffee snob” and only drinks Starbuck’s -bragging for years on how great their coffee is. Well, we made some coffee and he raved about how it was the best coffee he ever tasted. Guess what kind? … Yes, Maxwell House Original Blend!!! Too bad he wasted all that money!

peter February 7, 2009, 4:14 PM

I love coffee to drink coffee I usually have three cups of coffee everyday. However, we our economy situation one could argues that Starbucks is not the place to do so. With price of a cup of coffee at starbucks one can almost buy small bag of coffee at the market. So, 8 o’clock coffee sounds like a good idea. That is not to put starbucks down but let face it; having a cup of coffee from starbucks in your hand, you must be doing pretty good. Or it just for look?
Lets go back to the basis and manage our self better. Sort of like regulating our self to make better decisions and save money….

Flavio February 7, 2009, 4:24 PM

O… come on…. Wine is Franch, Soccer is Brazil and coffee is Starbuks. Have many different tests. For me I like strong coffees, thats come from some parts of Brazil and Africa. Starbuks is the best because because was the 1st one. Pionner. Buy a coffee in starbuks is like a buy a chanpagne in a great restaurant. You can’t copare.

Bob February 7, 2009, 4:58 PM

Best coffee in the world is 100% KONA from Greenwell Farms

Troy  February 7, 2009, 5:25 PM

Now you guys got me curious. Going to Walmart tonight to buy some Eight O’ Clock coffee.

Lee February 7, 2009, 6:35 PM

I only drink Starbucks in their stores. A nice smile adds taste to the cup of coffee. Lately that kind of smile is lost in the country but fortunately I can still see it overseas for a world traveller like me. Starbucks is what I looked for when I got out of an airplane or woke up in the hotel. I fear this home-connecting feeling will be gone when competetions win. I now only give Starbucks half of the coffee business and starting to like others…