Consumer Reports Picks the Best Cup of Joe!

Consumer Reports chose Eight O'Clock Colombian coffee as the tastiest brand on the market - blowing Starbucks out of the water in the process.

eight270.jpg
They tested 19 different coffees that all varied in price. Eight O'Clock costs $6 per pound, less than half the price of Gloria Jean's, Peet's, and other pricey brands.

Dunkin' Donuts and Millstone were declared the best decaf coffees, followed closely by runner-up Folgers Gourmet Selection Lively Colombian.

Eight O'clock brand coffee is a vailable at Amazon.com or a grocery store near you.

next: Grown Up Girl Scouts Are Selling Cookies
Bob February 7, 2009, 6:49 PM

Please…

“Char-bucks” is the worst, over rated, same tasing, over roasted bean to be brewed into a cup of coffee. Every variety is the same…OVER-ROASTED! Ever wonder WHY they put so many “flavors” into that cup of crap? Now you know.

The snob appeal of Seattle is wearing thin.

Cyn February 7, 2009, 7:05 PM

I dunno about this coffee but I do know that I can’t go a day without Casi Cielo Starbucks coffee. It tastes so chocolately and delicious. Not to mention that but many other kinds are just as delicous from Starbucks and Folgers. When I’m broke and I can’t enjoy delicious coffe, I like French Roast from Folgers (go figure). But this other brand, they aint got nothing.

Bob February 7, 2009, 8:21 PM

Taking about Coffee, should have taste the coffee the Starbuck server through out their outlet in CHINA, and if you go round different outlet of Starbuck you will notice that each of this outlet, serve bad to worst coffee.Sometime make me wonder if China is Starbuck dumping ground for the worst coffee of the day.

Tess February 7, 2009, 8:24 PM

I never liked starbucks even from the time that it started sprawling on PI. gosh! i could not see the logic of paying much for a poor taste of coffee.. would rather go for instant coffee than having a cup of starbucks coffee.. what’s the deal? the name? no way! i want a coffee, not a name!

LC Chocolate February 7, 2009, 8:35 PM

I love and buy the starbucks FRENCH ROAST beans at Costco. I think the taste is fantastic-if a person uses the right amount of grounds for home use. Unfortunately, Starbucks make their coffee at their coffee houses taste like mud. It’s so bitter tasting that my tastebuds gag and want to spit it out! I do agree that Starbucks in house coffee is awful, but their beans are fantastic when I make the coffee at home. Moral: USe less grounds per pot. Intersting enough, McDonalds and Burger King Coffee taste great! And costs less than a tall at Starbucks.

Anonymous February 7, 2009, 8:41 PM

Starbucks sucks anyways, just a place for preps to hang out at.

vito.c February 7, 2009, 9:33 PM

I’ve tried eight o’clock coffe,and i didn’t like it.I’ve never been to starbucks.

Adrian February 7, 2009, 9:42 PM

I disagree -steve, it’s about time that cheaper coffee should be appreciated, if they taste better then the more reason to indulge in them, some people nowadays just go to starbucks to make an impression, real coffee lovers should know.

G-Star February 7, 2009, 10:31 PM

Get real, starbucks might be suffering in the market, then again, the whole country is! Starbucks rule! best taste.

Dee February 7, 2009, 10:31 PM

I am a coffee drinker and I don’t know what they are talking about, coffee is coffee and everyone has different taste. I make my own coffee nine times out of ten before I go to work and the coffee I buy cost much less than any of the coffee that are mentioned in the article. The key to great coffee is the way it’s brewed and each individuals preference. I have starbucks White Chocolate Mocha Frapuccino with a few shots of expresso and chocolate drizzle when I want, but it is cheaper when I make it home due to the fact the Cafe Bustelo only cost about $3.50, but not only is the price good, but also the way I make it.

Anonymous February 7, 2009, 11:05 PM

Its about strength of the coffee. I don’t know who these tasters are. They are probably not coffee gurus. Europeans for example brew a tasteful strong coffee. Most of the coffee shops like Dunkin Donuts brew weak coffee. Its like drinking water to maximize their profit margins. People who love Dunkin Donuts do not know what coffee is. I’m sure the Italians and French are laughing.

Brad February 8, 2009, 12:08 AM

How about we all keep doing what we were doing before this “taste test” was released? Keep drinking what you like or makes you happy, and if it doesn’t, search for something else.
Also, I would guess 75% of the people that frequent Starbucks order something besides their coffee.
Subjective experience is never wrong.
And how did Consumer Reports start reporting on food? Should I research marshmallows for their safety rating before I make that investment?

Doug February 8, 2009, 12:54 AM

My family has taken the findings of consumer reports to heart only once. Back in the day they declared that the Fiat 124 was the overall best small compact car…. nuff said.

spencer February 8, 2009, 1:00 AM

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Sam Green February 8, 2009, 1:40 AM

I feel sorry for anyone hocked on Starbucks. It’s not only over priced but also the taste is not that great. I prefer Folgers Columbian and the 100% Arabica.

Keith February 8, 2009, 1:56 AM

Wow. You should all run for government.
Then you could tell me what I can like and what I can’t. Give me a break.

JP February 8, 2009, 8:57 AM

Eight O’Clock is good coffee. Stores run it here with a buy one get one free deal all the time and with a dollar off coupon it’s about $4.00 for two bags.
And to the poster Flavio, one word SPELLCHECK!!!

Patrick February 8, 2009, 10:19 AM

About time Starbucks is hit with the proverbial’reality stick’! I always wondered WHY the popularity? .. considering the price (way too high) and the taste (as now confirmed!) Hmm, must just be a fad .. almost like a cult following LOL! Guess now Starbucks will have to come down off their pedistal. Geez people!! Glad you’re now wide awake after having a real cup of Joe. Now my only thought .. Now Eight O Clock has a reason to RAISE their prices, as I’m sure they will. Just like anything and everything else theses days .. ever notice?

Pat

D February 8, 2009, 12:30 PM

I have read most of the posts and I have come to the conclusion that some of you take this coffee survey thing waaaaaayyy too seriously. Just because Starbucks or your favorite brand of coffee wasn’t given high marks or mentioned at all doesn’t mean you are a bad person. Keep drinking what you like and take these survey reports with a grain of salt.

cupajoe February 8, 2009, 10:32 PM

I’m surprised Eight O’Clock coffee did so well… I’ve found that their coffee leaves a sour after-taste in my mouth