Dad Reunites with Son after Four Years

Choking back tears that had been building up for more than four and a half years, a New Jersey father tried to describe the emotions he felt at finally being able to hold and hug his son and tell the boy how much he loved him.

After over four years apart, father David Goldman has finally reunited with his son Sean in Brazil. Sean has been caught in an international custody battle since Goldman's then-wife Bruna took the child to Brazil and never came back. David has been fighting to get his son back ever since.

Then, last August, Bruna died while giving birth to a child by her new husband. After her death, that husband petitioned a Brazilian court to take Goldman's name off Sean's birth certificate.

NBC senior legal analyst Susan Filan said that Goldman should eventually regain custody of his son. But Filan cautioned that it may still take time for Sean to finally come home to live with his father. "I don't think it's going to be as quick as everybody wants, but I think ultimately it's going to happen," she said.

Who should have custody of little Sean?

next: Please Put the Octuplets Up for Adoption
Michele February 11, 2009, 5:47 PM

HIs natural father of course. We hear of women fighting for their children when the father takes them away. I think this is a story that should get national attenion. I say good luck and I hope dad finally wins

Brooke February 11, 2009, 6:19 PM

Is there even a question as to who should have custody of Sean? No doubt David.

On a side note, I wonder how the little boy’s English will be after having lived in Brazil for half his life.

Sarah February 11, 2009, 6:49 PM

This sounds like a poll taken from Star magazine..I cant believe it’s being asked, of coarse im answering only to shout my answer…SEANS REAL DAD! DAVID!

Sarina February 11, 2009, 8:28 PM

the real dad…women do it all the time…equal rights..right?

Eileen February 12, 2009, 12:29 AM

No question…this is a sincere loving
DAD..This case must go in his favor!!

Anonymous February 12, 2009, 1:16 AM

the real is dead and his real dad still wants him in his life,and the ex-wife just wanted to act stupid.

K&C's mom February 12, 2009, 1:30 AM

Wow!!!! What a story!!! It made me cry. David, you are both in my prayers, that things will turn out, and you will finally have your son home where he belongs!!!!

Barbara February 12, 2009, 10:07 AM

David we are following your heartbreaking story here in Dallas and are praying that you and your son finally come home together and share your love for each other in NJ for the rest of your life.

Linemans Wife February 12, 2009, 11:07 AM

This story infuriates me! I cannot understand why this is even happening. You can see the love this father has for his child and he and his son have both been failed! Give this man his son back you brazilian jacka$$……

Karen February 12, 2009, 11:19 AM

GIVE SEAN BACK TO HIS FATHER!!! Brazil is absolutely crazy for not allowing Sean to be with David sooner. How dare they keep father and son apart for so long. So glad David was reunited with Sean for a short while…now I’m just waiting for the news when Sean comes to live with his Daddy. As for Brazil…get a life.

eva February 12, 2009, 1:05 PM

on what grounds would thr natural father NOT get ciustody back? it’s his kid!

Anonymous February 12, 2009, 10:56 PM

Well if his bitch of a wife hadn’t cheated on him and left her dumb a$$ would still be alive. I hope the Lawyer Loser was worth it!

John February 13, 2009, 3:42 PM

The father, David , ABSOLUTELY !!
I almost went through an exact same scenario with my X-wife. Thank God I caught her in time. My heart goes out to you David, God don’t like UGLY, your boy is coming home soon, KEEP PUNCHIN’ you’re gonna get him … and it’ll be worth it … the Brazilian Government SUCKS !!

jenna February 18, 2009, 10:53 AM

What a sad story - I am so glad to hear that this father was reunited with his son. I hope that he gets custody of his child - the biological father should have custody.

MotherProof.com February 19, 2009, 4:35 PM

I saw that story several weeks ago and it just haunted me. I’m so thrilled that the resolution is beginning. What an amazing man to have the strength to continue his fight!

debbyatfafny February 20, 2009, 11:10 AM

There is a case in Albany, NY where a federal employee and his wife divorced. They had joint custody of their two children. She passed away last year of cancer. Her sister petitioned the court for custody of the children AND WON! Dad got the “New York Standard Visitation Order” unsupervised.

This is sick that the media isn’t picking more stories like this one up. It is repeated millions of times a year yet you only hear about once or twice a year.

Wake up people, if we let them do it to dads, they’ll soon be doing it to moms. States make billions a year from federal reimbursements for this ‘legal kidnapping’.

Pendaren March 20, 2009, 12:46 PM

I say let the boy stay with his loving stepfather and his sister.

There are THOUSANDS of divorced women who are prisoners of the United States. They are forced to live in the country to be able to keep their child. If they want to move back to their family and home country they end up losing custody of their children. Their children are hostages to America.

There are even AMERICAN mothers who don´t have freedom. I´ve known several who re-married military and either had to lose custody, divorce or live seperately for YEARS if the new husband was stations non-CONUS (Which is generally three years or more for accompanied tours). All to pander to visitation rights even when a perfectly good and loving step-father is available.

Pendaren March 20, 2009, 12:56 PM

PS: The other side of the story is always missing: Back when Sean was first taken he was AFRAID of his father and described to his grandmother a dresser that was broken in anger. Sean has since forgotten it after all this time, thankfully, but “dad” is not the loving father he appears on tv to be.

The news may report a nice “re-union” but children are raised to be polite, kind and playful with strangers. Sean was acting like any other Brazilian child where teachers kiss and hug their students daily and strangers pass their hands on the children´s heads in greeting.

Love should win over biology. Sperm is just sperm and we shouldn´t allow any man to lay “claim” to a child because of it. We don´t allow it during pregnancy so why after birth?

Xhrmpqbo June 24, 2009, 8:30 PM

dVbinx comment4 ,

Ccleaner.com July 26, 2010, 9:23 PM

All right, It is very good