Laid Off ... and Pregnant

A mom-to-be we know was just laid off last week despite being six months pregnant. Here, a financial expert advises her on her next move.

pregnant woman at her cubicle desk

When a mom-to-be we know was laid off last week, at six months pregnant, we were devastated. Was this even legal? Financial expert Danielle Hoston answers our questions ... and tells her what to do next.

Momlogic: Is it legal?

Danielle Hoston: The answer is it's perfectly legal as long as you weren't laid off because you were pregnant. If you have reason to believe that you were laid off because of your pregnancy, my advice would be to seek the consultation of an employment attorney to discuss the specifics of your case as soon as possible.

Momlogic: What should she do about health insurance?

Danielle Hoston: COBRA - The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) gives workers and their families who lose their health benefits the right to choose to continue group health benefits provided by their group health plan for limited periods of time under certain circumstances such as voluntary or involuntary job loss, reduction in the hours worked, transition between jobs, death, divorce, and other life events. Qualified individuals may be required to pay the entire premium for coverage up to 102% of the cost to the plan.

COBRA generally requires that group health plans sponsored by employers with 20 or more employees in the prior year offer employees and their families the opportunity for a temporary extension of health coverage (called continuation coverage) in certain instances where coverage under the plan would otherwise end.

She could also apply for state-funded programs such as SCHIP and WIC

SCHIP - The State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) is Title XXI of the Social Security Act and is jointly financed by the Federal and State governments and administered by the States. Within broad Federal guidelines, each State determines the design of its program, eligibility groups, benefit packages, payment levels for coverage, and administrative and operating procedures. SCHIP provides a capped amount of funds to States on a matching basis for Federal fiscal years (FY) 1998 through 2007. Federal payments under title XXI to States are based on State expenditures under approved plans effective on or after October 1, 1997.

Families who earn too much to qualify for Medicaid may be able to qualify for SCHIP. Families that do not currently have health insurance are likely to be eligible, even if you are working. The states have different eligibility rules, but in most states, uninsured children under the age of 19, whose families earn up to $36,200 a year (for a family of four) are eligible. For little or no cost, this insurance pays for: doctor visits, immunizations, hospitalizations, emergency room visits

WIC - WIC's goal is to help keep pregnant and breastfeeding women, new moms, and kids under age 5 healthy. To do this, WIC provides: personalized nutrition information, consultations and support, checks to buy healthy food, tips for eating well to improve health, referrals for medical and dental care, health insurance, child care, housing and fuel assistance, and other services that can benefit the whole family. But that's not all! WIC also offers immunization screening and referral, breastfeeding support, and nutrition and health workshops on a variety of topics including meal planning, maintaining a healthy weight, picky eaters, caring for a new baby, and shopping on a budget.

Momlogic: How can she get another job if she is pregnant?

Danielle Hoston: It's important to remember two things:
a. You are not required to inform your potential employer that you are pregnant.
b. Regardless of whether you are showing or not, this may be the perfect opportunity to pursue advancing your education. I got my broker's license when I was pregnant in 2000, and it greatly helped my job search when I was ultimately laid off just after my maternity leave.

We wish this mom-to-be luck in this tough situation. Do you have any pointers for her? Comment below.

next: My Husband is Better Than Yours
Jerwayne February 3, 2009, 12:55 PM

Hate to say it but she is going to find it rough to find work. For one the increased number of people searching for jobs due to the increased layoffs.

Not to mention that even though it is illegal to discriminate against hiring a pregnant woman it definitely happens. I know back when I used to do the hiring for my company we had to think about the good of the company and training someone only for them to leave for a couple of months was highly counterproductive.

I am all for the suggestion of taking this time to imrpove education or take a class that would give that person some sort of certification or anything to improve the resume.

Vanessa February 3, 2009, 6:40 PM

Its true-I’m not pregnant and lost my job and have been looking for one for a MONTH.

Jennifer March 20, 2009, 10:47 AM

I am actually in a similar situation. My company was sold, which meant me losing my job, just 3 weeks after I found out I was pregnant (I was around 6 weeks along at the time). I’ve decided not to go back to full-time work for awhile. I’ll be working part-time for a former employer for a couple of years until the baby is old enough to attend preschool (in my eyes). After that I’ll be getting my paralegal certificate and making a career switch. Best of luck to her, there’s only a few things scarier than bringing a new life into this world when you feel so uncertain about your footing.

best teeth whitening October 15, 2010, 3:14 AM

Im not going to going to say what everyone else has already said , but i must say ,Your are truly well-informed. i wasnt aware of imformation of your post .Thank you for posting more info to this topic for us .Im truly grateful and really impressed.

Cure Hemorrhoids November 28, 2010, 12:59 AM

Nice website. I appreciate your effort, I absolutely enjoy reading your post.

buy diazepam December 1, 2010, 3:38 PM

Congratulations on having one of the most sophisticated blogs Ive come across in some time! Its just incredible how much you can take away from something simply because of how visually beautiful it is. Youve put together a great blog space —great graphics, videos, layout. This is definitely a must-see blog!

Thank You Bridal Shower Cards December 15, 2010, 1:50 AM

Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen.

Antonio Rodina December 23, 2010, 12:56 PM

Fine reading. Very helpful, finally a decent website with good information in it.

Casino December 29, 2010, 12:01 PM

Wonderful info on SEO, thanks for posting Laid Off … and Pregnant | momlogic.com!

premium wordpress themes December 31, 2010, 7:33 AM

Please, keep up the awesome work and continue to post topics like this. I am old fan of your blog.

Beatriz Ezzelle January 3, 2011, 6:53 AM

Thanks for the intriguing read! Happy New Year and keep up the great work in 2011!

Jody Heyser January 3, 2011, 12:48 PM

Thank you for the entertaining read! Happy New Year and keep up the great work in 2011!

Felisa Azzarito January 6, 2011, 8:35 AM

Thanks for the absorbing read! Happy New Year, and keep up the good work in 2011!

top 4 tips on setting up a baby room January 9, 2011, 5:17 PM

I usually don’t commonly post on many Blogs, yet I just has to say thank you for Laid Off … and Pregnant | momlogic.com… keep up the amazing work. Ok unfortunately its time to get to school.

Giełda Transportowa January 13, 2011, 5:39 AM

Love this post! I agree!

rozstępy białystok  January 13, 2011, 9:20 PM

Waiting for the new article.

casa gala panamá January 14, 2011, 12:46 PM

I enjoy just taking a break from my projects and reading your website. I just wish you posted more frequently. Thank you

casa gala catalogo January 14, 2011, 2:13 PM

Your web site is top-notch I will have to read it all, thank you for the diversion from my workload! Thank you very much

casa gala panama January 14, 2011, 3:53 PM

As a Newbie, I am always exploring online for articles that can help me get further ahead.

Dietas Saludables January 16, 2011, 2:08 AM

I usually don’t usually post on many Blogs, however I really have to say thank you… keep up the amazing work. Ok unfortunately its time to get to school.