The Ethics of Pizza

One mom's mortifying "oops" moment.

Woman eating pizza

The boys had just finished an enthusiastic soccer game. The orange slices and Gatorade at half-time did not stave off the hunger created by kinetic eight-year-olds competing on the field and fervent parents yelling on the sidelines.

As expediently as possible both teams and parents made it to the nearest Shakey's Pizza to celebrate the victories as well as near victories. On this particular day, several other local teams had finished their sports events moments before us. My boys went straight to the game room, my husband joined the long line of fathers and I scouted for a table where a family might be finishing up. After an extra long half hour, the boys' growling stomachs took priority. They abandoned the video mania and came whining to me. I could see there were still six dads waiting to order in front of my husband. Then, to my good fortune, the family at the table right next to where I was standing got up and started saying good-bye to their fellow soccer mates.

Like musical chairs, my boys deftly sat down as the other kids were rising. Good. Part one complete. But wait! The other family had left behind nearly half a pepperoni and olive. I looked around, saw the mom and kids head out the door, then with a "what the hell -- this is a life or death decision" I doled out a slice to each child and took one for myself. When you are in dire need of sustenance, the taste buds go into overdrive. It was simply delicious. Just as I was taking my second bite, the father of the family whose chairs we now occupied came back. Right in the middle of my long, satisfied "mmmmmm," he asked,

"Excuse me, but isn't that our pizza?"

Before I could swallow I noticed the "take home" box in his hand.

Mortified, I nodded and held the rest of the savory piece in my mouth. Should I spit it out? I sheepishly apologized and offered him a ten, but he turned on his heels and left. My kids were stunned. All eyes were on me as I set the crust down and blushed.

There was nothing more I could do, so I picked up another slice and ate it.

next: Sidewalk Chalk is Evil
Lisa February 15, 2009, 9:17 AM

Wow! Are you kidding me? Who would do this?

Anonymous February 15, 2009, 9:30 AM

I LOVE it!

ashley February 15, 2009, 9:57 AM

HOW EMBARRASSING!!!! I don’t think I would have the guts to sit down and eat someone else’s pizza!!

michelle February 15, 2009, 10:32 AM

omg!!! I snickered at this one!! I love it!

Anonymous February 15, 2009, 1:20 PM

Eww

anony February 15, 2009, 2:26 PM

Your behavior was rude! Clearly they were planning on taking home their left-overs, I mean what parent wouldn’t. And you didn’t even bother to ask if they were leaving. What if they were just getting up to play some games and coming back to their table. What if they had someone at home who they were planning on feeding with their left-overs? You should have politely asked the other parent if they were leaving before you and your rude little monsters even took their seats. And to eat someone else’s food?!? That is disgusting! What are you teaching your kids? Since you obviously don’t have common decency much less any knowledge rules of etiquette I’ll tell you what you are teaching them. (1) That it’s ok to take things that they did not pay for, (2) that it’s ok to eat a strangers food, and, (3) that if they don’t have the patience to wait for something they want/need then they should take it from someone else and there’s no need to ask. …………… Real Nice! I hope the embarrassment you experienced sticks with you and I hope that told your children that your behavior was WRONG and INEXCUSABLE!!!

anonymous February 15, 2009, 11:15 PM

yes, it’s gross, but it’s still hilarious! The kids will get over it and so will the family whose pizza was stolen. They probably went home and had a laugh over it themselves, about the crazy lady eating their pizza.

HeeHee  February 16, 2009, 12:41 AM

T. Ye family should have remembered their pizza. Too bad. You snooze, you loose.

Chrissy February 16, 2009, 12:47 AM

This blogger was rude, selfish and horrid on so many levels and wasn’t even disturbed by her behavior enough to put down her pizza.
She’s is practical bragging about it.
Hope karma finds her.

lawrec February 16, 2009, 1:31 AM

Good article!A hot debate is taking place at Billionairepal.com now among hollywood celebrities and beaitiful people. Many guys said they were super-
excited about it~

Anonymous February 16, 2009, 1:54 AM

So I don’t know if I’m reading it right but your husband stood in line for 30 minutes and there were still 6 people in front of him? I would have carted the kids somewhere else before eating someone else’s pizza.

Western Lady February 16, 2009, 12:50 PM

I can’t believe people are taking this so seriously and saying it’s “horrid” and “selfish!”
It’s funny. Who hasn’t had a super embarrasing moment?

heh February 16, 2009, 6:25 PM

Ok this is hilarious. I mean it is disgusting though.

jw February 17, 2009, 11:27 AM

That’s gross!! What’s next… wandering the food court for trays of food people left behind because you and your kids don’t have the patience to wait in line ???

micaela February 20, 2009, 5:16 PM

OMG! Some of the people here are so angry & judgmental! Get a grip! This is funny! If I was the person with the To Go box, I would crack up! Also, someone from that group should have waited with the food-an employee could have thrown it away thinking they were done,& I know how crazy it gets at the pizza parlors, Micky D’s, etc after a soccer game-EVERYWHERE IS PACKED!

Pei Pickersgill March 26, 2011, 7:53 AM

Hello. splendid job. I did not imagine this. This is a impressive story. Thanks!