I Admit it, I'm Gross!

Here's why.

sloppy woman

Radical Mommy: Yesterday when I was leaving the house, I noticed dog poop in the yard. Rather than head back into the house to get a bag, I actually considered picking it up with my hands and throwing it in the bin. That made me wonder: "Who the hell have I become?"

It used to be, back in the day, that I was fastidious about everything. I dressed nicely to go to work, I regularly got manicures and pedicures, and the razor was my friend. But things are different now ... VERY different.

I used to wash my hair every day. Now, I wet it once or twice a week and I recently went for a record-breaking 16 days (yes, that's over two weeks) without water touching it. In case you're not familiar with being so dirty, unwashed hair starts to hurt after about six days. By day 10, it smells like French fries. By the end of week two, grease actually comes off on your hands when you touch it. GROSS.

But, hey, I had gotten it blown out straight and I wanted it to last as long as possible. Mission accomplished.

I used to bathe every day. Now, I sometimes don't bathe from Friday to Monday. And to be perfectly honest, If I wasn't so concerned about having a clean hoo-ha, then I probably wouldn't shower during the week either. There's not much more I can say about that. Except, GROSS.

I used to have perfectly manicured fingers and toes. Now my feet look like homeless person feet. They're so bad that my friend even came up with the term BFS (battered foot syndrome) to describe them. GROSS.

I used to like to eat out at nice restaurants. Now, I can't be bothered to haul my butt out of the house so I stay home and I eat standing up in front of the fridge. Normally it's olives and peanut butter out of a jar -- both eaten using my fingers. And I have no problem dropping something on the floor, picking it up, picking off the dog hair and eating it. GROSS.

I used to shave my legs every day or get them waxed once a month. Now, I have a broken, rusty razor sitting in the shower that hasn't touched my legs in about two months. The only reason I shave my underarms every day is because I don't want anyone at the gym to see big bushes of hair when I wear a tank top. Luckily I have very light hair so it doesn't show so much, but you can definitely feel it -- just ask my poor husband. GROSS

I used to wear matching pajamas to bed. Now, I sometimes wear the same shirt I wore all day to bed or I will wear the shirt/tank top I slept in during the day. GROSS.

Then there's the ugly dog poop "incident." I, actually, for a moment, thought it was a good idea (and a time saver) to pick up dog poop with my hands and throw it directly into the trash can. My reasoning behind this? Well, it didn't look "fresh" and it was cold out so I thought I might be able to just whisk it up without having leftovers on my hand. I quickly nixed the idea, but it really did make me start to think, "Man, how times have changed!" So what exactly did I do with the poop? I left it. GROSS.

Are you as gross as I am? If so, tell me all about it -- I want to hear from my fellow dirty birds!

Want more? Connect with Radical Mommy in the momlogic community.

next: Doc, Just Call in the Freaking Medicine!
ashley February 16, 2009, 8:09 AM

Yes you are GROSS!!!! I hope in those 16 days you didn’t wash your hair you at least took a shower and washed your body!! I mean I have been know to skip a shower but I always take some baby wipes to myself. AKA, a whores bath! I know what you mean about having your hair straightened, I always try to make it last 2 or 3 days, that’s all I can stand without washing it. I am bad about shaving my legs in the winter time. I usually go about 2 weeks. I try to shave my pits once a week if I think about it. In the summer I stay shaved though. Ican’t believe you would even consider picking up dog poo with your bare hands!!!!!

Yuck February 16, 2009, 10:55 AM

YES, you are really GROSS. I personally shower everyday and wash by hair. In the winter, I may go a couple of days without shaving my legs. But really, what is keeping you from taking care of yourself? You didn’t mention that the kids took all your time or that you work all the time so what is it? I feel really sorry for your husband or maybe he’s as gross as you are. There is never a reason to be that gross. I can’t image that there’s much sex going on in that house.

Anonymous February 16, 2009, 11:43 AM

I’ve often heard that lack of personal hygiene for long periods of time is a major sign of depression. If that’s the case, maybe this isn’t so much “gross” as it is a cry for help? As your kids get older, this kind of behavior really impacts them. I’m not saying you should turn spiffy-clean over night, but you might want to consider WHY you’ve allowed yourself to attained this level of grossness.

Pamala February 16, 2009, 12:00 PM

Okay going more than 2 days is a limit for me in regards to how long I can go without a shower. Sometimes I go 3 depending on how busy I’ve been and how tired I am and if I’m not leaving the house the next day.

I don’t shave my legs and haven’t done so for nearly ten years. I just never really did it in the first place. I wear pants typically and my husband doesn’t care so that’s not something that I see as “gross” because that’s societal standards that frankly don’t make much sense to me in the first place. I don’t wear makeup either, not going to waste my time or money, and my husband met me the way I am.

I think what is most important here is are you happy? I can’t imagine though I’d be happy being that dirty. But if you are and your husband doesn’t care, then so be it because frankly why is it that we’re required to “impress” or “take care of ourselves” for other people? Isn’t it important that we’re loving our children and doing what needs to be done for them? I’m not dressing to make sure people like me. If they can’t like me for me then screw them.

I have to wonder why mothers and people in general spend so much time trying to impress people you don’t even know?

Anonymous February 16, 2009, 12:42 PM

You need to work on it!

Sanity February 16, 2009, 1:02 PM

You know, it’s actually bad for your hair to wash it every single day. It strips the oil out and drys your hair, causing added breakage.

The shampoo commercials are trying to sell a product, so by letting you believe that you should wash every single day, they are going to sell more shampoo than if they tell you it’s better for your hair if you wait 2 weeks.

And for the record, my hair doesn’t hurt after 6 days, nor does it “smell like french fries” after 10.

leelee February 16, 2009, 1:57 PM

Unless you have very oily hair naturally, it is not good to wash it daily. Every two to three for normal and four to six for dry.

Wendi February 16, 2009, 3:39 PM

EWWW all this is just nasty! I could never go without a shower. In fact I usually take 2 a day. Morning when I wash my hair and body and night when I just wash my body. In fact my hubby is the same way. I can’t stand the smell of unclean hair. Feeling it unclean is even worse. There is no excuse to let yourself go like that. I have 3 kids and I am very busy by still manage to take care of myself.

mollysmom February 16, 2009, 6:04 PM

i went once 6 days without washing my hair and i had done a couple of spin classes during that time, it was gross and i vowed never to let myself go that far again. my main thought after reading this is “please let her take better care of her kids” or hopefully you’re so busy cleaning them you don’t have any time for yourself.

Karen February 16, 2009, 6:05 PM

Take comfort Radical Mommy. You are not alone. Been there. Done that. ALL of that. I feel ya sister. Being that lazy IS gross. But it feels soooooo good!

Nikki February 16, 2009, 9:18 PM

The showering, shaving and pjs turned daytime wear - guilty! I laughed so hard reading this. You aren’t gross, you are just in a phase. Your energy is all going elsewhere at the moment. I’m right there with ya, sister. Except for the dog poop, I’ve never had a dog for that exact reason - not interested in poop cleaning. I say, walk around on those BFS’s and hold your french fry hair high.

anon February 17, 2009, 3:02 AM

Been there done that! I’m an all or nothing type of gal. If I can’t take the time to get everything done that I need to get done some days I just say FORGET IT. A while back I got into the same kid of rut you’re in and I needed help to get out. It sounds like you may need help to get out of your rut too. Talk to friends or family and see if they will help you out… maybe they could take your kids for a couple hours every few days so you can some time for yourself. To start you may just use that time to shower, wash your hair and change your clothes. That’s ok, just know that the ultimate goal is to learn that you need (and DESERVE) to take time to care for yourself.

Cathy February 26, 2009, 10:16 AM

I’m with Pamala. I don’t understand the societal pressure of shaving. And the fact that women feel shameful when they don’t do just shows how brainwashed society is. Also, why do we consider women who don’t wear makeup “plain” or “ugly”? Men don’t wear makeup and look good. Women do too…it’s just a mind set that we have. But not washing your hair is gross. Not showering is gross. Picking up poop with your hands is gross. Other people don’t want to see or smell your grease and sweat. Other people don’t want to touch the door handle you just touched after picking up poop with your hands!

Cathy February 26, 2009, 10:17 AM

Ju February 27, 2009, 1:43 AM

I HAVE to shave my legs. In college I let it grow out for a month. It looked like I had man-legs! YICK! If I had been raised all Korean, I don’t think I would have ever shaved my legs and would have nearly invisible soft fuzzies instead of coarse, though shiny, man-hair. If I go without washing my hair for more than 2 days, my scalp starts to itch and crawl. I was in the Army, we did Physical Training every morning. I knew women that wouldn’t shower afterwards, in the summer. I at the very least wash my body everyday. On weekends, if I’m not going anywhere, I’ll forgo a shower. Then I’d feel gross and have to shower. Besides, I don’t think my hubby would appreciate a man-furry, smelly, greasy-haired, dirty wife.

Fimxtdhi June 22, 2009, 3:59 AM

B3fVKc comment3 ,

tomas October 5, 2009, 12:31 PM

i’ve always been that gross, im a guy though…

Jake October 5, 2009, 12:47 PM

Is it wrong to be slightly aroused by reading this?

anonymous October 5, 2009, 2:01 PM

I’m not even a mommy and I do this, so don’t feel too bad. I go without washing my hair for weeks sometimes (but I’m lucky — my hair is very very very not greasy) and I’ve been known to skip showering for a couple of days. Shaving often takes a sidestep to whether or not I can afford new razorblades.

EatsOffFloor October 21, 2009, 9:15 PM

Totally guilty here… I suffer from depression off and on, but even when I’m doing well I sometimes forget to take care of myself… eventually it gets bad enough that I snap out of it… it is funny that after having kids I’m entirely okay with picking food up off the floor