Teen Fired for Dissing Her Job on Facebook

Teens putting up racy pictures on Facebook isn't the only thing parents have to worry about.

teen looking in computer and man watching

These days, millions of people are on some sort of social networking website -- and so are their bosses. A 16-year-old British girl said she was fired from her office job after managers saw that she had branded her position "boring" on Facebook.

British teenager Kimberley Swann says she was called into her manager's office and fired from her job as an office administrator because she had called the job "boring" on her Facebook page, The Daily Telegraph reported Thursday.

"Following your comments made on Facebook about your job and the company, we feel it is better that, as you are not happy and do not enjoy your work, we end your employment with Ivell Marketing & Logistics with immediate effect," the letter read.

"I did not even put the company's name -- I just put that my job was boring. They were just being nosy, going through everything. I think it is really sad. It makes them look stupid that they are going to be so petty," Swann said.

How can you prevent your own teen from following in this now unemployed teen's footsteps? Family counselor Rosanne Tobey offers some tips on how to talk to your kids about the dangers of posting questionable information and photos on the Internet.

By the time your private business has gone public, you can't take it away.
"I think this is a perfect example parents can use to illustrate why NOT to post things you don't want the entire world to see," Rosanne says. "Once it's out there, it's essentially impossible to get it back."

Kids must understand the permanence of the actions they take.
"Teens tend to be so savvy, yet they sometimes have a hard time realizing the reach that the Web might have," Rosanne says. "If a racy pic or personal information is up somewhere with your name attached, and your employer or even a future employer Googles you and finds it, it can really come back to haunt you."

Related Links:

next: The Great Debate: One Child ... Or Two?
Jen February 28, 2009, 1:41 PM

1. Keep your facebook and myspace accounts private and they won’t see it.

2. Live and learn. I bet this girl will learn to keep things private in the future.

Store Owner February 28, 2009, 9:56 PM

I hire people to do work I need done. If it was fun, I would not have to pay them. Is it boring? Sometimes. Is it necessary? Probably. If you trash your job in public, you can expect to lose it.

Wendi February 28, 2009, 11:26 PM

Are you kidding? I was a fast food manager for nine years. Was it boring for the kids? You bet! Do we have free speech in America? You bet! If my kids thought their job was fun, we were having a GREAT day.

J March 1, 2009, 9:36 AM

Thats just crazy. So what she said her job is boring. i bet 98 percent of people think their jobs and say their jobs are boring on a daily basis. Why is that terms to get terminated. Im sure my boss knows my job is boring, who cares! she didnt even name the company. She should talk to a lawyer about wrongful termination

T. March 1, 2009, 9:14 PM

I am sure she has a legal case. Firing someone because they said they had a boring job is not a legal reason for termination.

Ann-Marie March 2, 2009, 9:21 AM

When will they learn? It’s called work for a reason! It’s not supposed to be fun. The thing I find most annoying is that once again a younger member of society chooses NOT to take responsibility for her actions. You did something wrong and you were punished for it. That is how the world works.
Learn from your mistakes and try not to repeat them. Stop blaming others for your actions.

Johanna March 2, 2009, 12:03 PM

As an employer myself I would not have fired the girl for saying her job was boring, especially since she did not name the company involved. But I would take it as to how I can make the workplace a little more interesting. Those that are motivated work harder, making the company better.

I’d take it as constructive criticism. Who am I to take away the right to free speech? Not to mention that I would be opening myself up to a lawsuit for wrongful termination.

Mia March 3, 2009, 2:00 PM

For those who think this is her just desserts: Okay, so if they overheard her saying that at a restaurant, would your opinion be any different? It’s free speech (at least in the USA) and I would absolutely sue for wrongful termination!

Loretta July 1, 2009, 10:40 PM

Hi. Like anyone else, there are days I feel beautiful and days I don’t, and when I don’t, I do something about it.
I am from Uruguay and too poorly know English, give true I wrote the following sentence: “Save on discount pet supplies for your dog, cat, fish, bird, reptile and small once a month topical flea treatment for dogs and puppies weeks and older.”

Best regards :o, Loretta.

Odran September 5, 2009, 6:40 AM

Could you help me. We cannot deny the facts of nature, but we should certainly try to improve on them.
I am from Tajikistan and also am speaking English, please tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “Sörenstam has criticized a attention of park theme debit transactions.”

Thank you so much for your future answers :(. Odran.

Enfant forum March 5, 2011, 12:55 PM

A powerful share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing a little bit analysis on this. And he in reality bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love studying more on this topic. If potential, as you turn into expertise, would you thoughts updating your weblog with more details? It’s highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this weblog put up!