Father Questioned in the Disappearance of Florida Girl

Police are questioning the father of a missing 5-year-old girl who was discovered missing from her bed on Tuesday morning.

haleigh270.jpg
Authorities aren't saying whether or not the father of Haleigh Cummings, or his girlfriend, are suspects in the disappearance.

The father's girlfriend reported Haleigh missing after discovering that she wasn't in her bed at about 3:30 AM. She also said that the front door was not locked at the time.

Several registered sex offenders reportedly live near the missing girl's home, however, police cannot confirm whether any of them might have abducted Haleigh.

Haleigh is 3' tall with blonde hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a pink shirt.

Anyone with information about the girl is urged to contact the Putnam County Sheriff's Office at (386) 329-0800 or 911.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: La Cuarentena
lollie February 16, 2009, 3:36 PM

I think the girlfreind went out after 10pm when children were sleeping. She used brick to keep door from locking so she could come back in,since the back door only had dead-lock. Someone came in and snatched the girl or she staged the whole thing. From what I saw and heard on tv these two had no business with these children.

Terrie February 16, 2009, 4:54 PM

I heard her say on tv that she (the girlfriend) got up to use the bathroom and she never made it because she saw the light on in the kitchen and then saw the door open. She then went to check the kids room and saw that Haleigh was not there. Now I’ve read reports that Haliegh was the one who got up to use the restroom and she didn’t come back and the girlfriend went to look for her. So which is it? Something is not right about that and the door being propped open. I don’t think an abductor is going to worry about propping open the door. He’s going to get in and get out quickly. So I agree that it looks staged. She knows something she isn’t saying at this point. And it was a lousy deal the way the dad railroaded the mom out of custody of those kids. They should be with the mom.

Hildy February 16, 2009, 6:58 PM

I’ve been listening and watching from the very beginning. Remember when the mother said on a TV program that if Haleigh missed any more school, the father would go to jail. I’m convinced that the father and the girlfriend did something; be it “staging” a kidnapping or something else so he wouldn’t go to jail. Something is definitely not right in that household. And also, why isn’t the 17 year old in school?
Hildy

tina February 16, 2009, 9:02 PM

I think the dad did something, just from watching him on the tv. He just seems to be hiding something.His girlfriend doesn’t seem too bright. He’s probably convinced her that she left the door unlocked!

iwonder February 21, 2009, 12:17 AM

i seriously wonder about all your comments.
according to a report, did not the mom have drug problems
and therefore lost custody?
as for the dad, i see nothing but a heartbroken father who has a missing child. perhaps his failing was trusting
the woman-child to take proper care of his children. and perhaps misty did nothing to cause the chain of events
leading to the child gone missing.
perhaps it was an abduction. only time will tell.
as for the case, i just hope the truth comes out and the little girl is found alive and well.

Anonymous February 28, 2009, 3:29 AM

it is a shame on the day after little caylee’s funeral, another child seemingly, thrown away too. why don’t these children haters, put their children up for adoption to loving and careing homes?

Tracy March 18, 2009, 6:57 PM

I agree with iwonder. Who are we to judge how someone will react to this situation. Until you are in it, you have no idea. There is no way the court would just take away custody from a parent unless their was a valid reason. Especially from a mother. She either had some major problems or she walked away from those kids. I don’t doubt that there may be some questionable behavior on the Dad’s part but he seems to be reacting very sincerely to his daughters dissaperance. I think Misty is just young and not very bright. That doesn’t mean she can’t take care of those kids. My daughter has been babysitting since she was 14 and does a wonderful job. I feel bad for all involved.

Anonymous March 19, 2009, 1:08 AM

i think they got married so when this case goes to trial they dont have to testify against each other who gets married when your baby is missing

Angela March 23, 2009, 7:37 PM

That law doesn’t apply to this case because it happened before they were married.Ron and Misty are guilty look at them when their on camera,Please a kidnapper comes in turns light on puts cinder block to hold open door,picks child up 3 feet away from Misty goes back to laundry room changes Haleigh;s clothes.Not!!!! If you are a kidnapper you would get in and out as quick as possible,and you wouldn’t know the lay out of the house and where Haleigh’s sleeping.

Sondra March 23, 2009, 11:06 PM

I have been watchng this throw out the whole investigation,and I do beleive with all my heart that misty and Ronald both have done something to do with the little girls dissappearance.No one in there right mind would get married when such a tragedy has happend I truly beleive that in the end alot of people will be very saddened by what the truth really is.I pray for the little girl to come home safe,and I pray for the family.

Sondra March 23, 2009, 11:25 PM

I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THIS THROUGH OUT THE WHOLE STORY OF LITTLE MISSING HALEIGH, AND MISTY AND RONALD HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THIS.I LIKE ALOT OF OTHERS WANT TO BELIEVE THEM SO , BUT SOMETHING JUST IS,NT RIGHT. I HAVE THAT GUT FEELING THAT TELLS ME ITS THE ONES SHE TRUSTED THE MOST, AND THAT SADDENS ME SO. I PRAY THAT I AM WRONG, AND I PRAY FOR THE FAMILY EVERY DAY.

Becky April 4, 2009, 10:19 AM

I watch Nancy Grace alot I have been gone for a couple of weeks and nothing on little Haliegh. What has happened? She was a big topic before I left now not one thing.

Tina April 5, 2009, 7:17 PM

I just dont understand who in there right mind runs off and gets married at a time like this ? And all the news things with father and his well new wife are just a smoking away and look so guilty to me I dont know . And I found misty’s myspace and she logs into that thing almost everyday . Im sorry but if my child /step child was missing I would NOT be checking my myspace . Something is not right and I hope they find the truth soon .

mlee April 10, 2009, 7:37 AM

He married her to keep her close at hand. Listen to the Cobra tapes, she continues to threaten to leave.
1.ron, believes that misty had something to do with Haleighs gone missing. Not a good reason or showing of trust.
2. ron, this was his way of obtaining a control between misty and greg.

So, we now know this marriage which was one of convienience rather than love and trust. But, where does this leave little Ron. Stuck in the midst of two people, that I would not allow to watch my goldfish for a weekend, much less a child. Apparently, the Law Enforcement has cleared the two primary predators in this case, which leaves them back to square 1. ron and misty.. Although, little Haleigh is still gone, and that is frightening. There is still a little guy in the muck… Just what could happen to him, if he stayed with those two. I shudder to think.

elaine April 11, 2009, 7:49 PM

misty said she saw the kitchen light on and the door propped open. the screen door was the one propped open and the inside door had a closer on it so i don’t see how she could know the screen door was open. if the little one saw the intruder he might have been describing someone who was in the house all evening with misty or he wasn’t sleeping yet. could she be ransom for an unpaid drug deal.

april April 22, 2009, 1:33 AM

and now i read a website is raising money for them because her dad cant work with her missing?

Anonymous June 8, 2009, 8:41 PM

Unless my psychic ability is wrong, it happened this way:Misty knew how much Ron, the dad loved his little girl. Misty didn’t want anything to divide his attention away from her. Misty enlisted the help of someone to take the girl, not necessarily to kill her, but to take her away never to bring her back again. She felt the little boy wasn’t a problem. Don’t forget Ron said he had changed the locks himself when they moved there. She opened the door for the person so he could carry out her wish!

Ttkeghni June 23, 2009, 2:55 AM

dkOTbS comment6 ,

Charisma August 31, 2009, 11:11 PM

Has anyone notice how many sex offenders, mostly men, live in your neighborhood? Maybe the courts need to do something about changing the law on sex offenders instead of constantly messing with the health care and our amendment rights. Its time to do something about these sex offenders. Men get by with alot and violence on children and women is the biggest problem we have all over the world. Its time to fix the law on sex offenders. It breaks my heart hearing all these children of all ages getting raped, kidnapped and murdered with a slap on the hand. Also I am so sick of drug addicts too. Does life always have to be about the party?

Immobilier Bretagne March 6, 2011, 4:50 PM

There are actually a number of details like that to take into consideration. That could be a great level to bring up. I provide the thoughts above as common inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up the place an important thing will probably be working in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged around things like that, but I am certain that your job is clearly recognized as a fair game. Each girls and boys really feel the impression of only a second’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.