Counselor Makes Girl Take Pregnancy Test

A middle school counselor heard a rumor that a student was pregnant, so he pulled her out of class and made her take a pregnancy test. Is this okay?

Pregnancy test

This story just made our blood boil.

A 12-year-old girl was forced to take a pregnancy test at school in Nevada City, a lawsuit filed in Nevada County Superior Court alleges.

The Pacific Justice Institute, which is representing the girl, said in a news release that Steve Davis, a counselor at Seven Hills Middle School, pulled the girl out of class.

Davis allegedly heard rumors that she was pregnant and wanted to know if it was true. Though she denied it and told Davis a classmate had spread rumors about her in the past, the counselor got a pregnancy test from the school nurse and told the 12-year-old to give a urine sample, the Pacific Justice Institute said. Outrageous!

And guess what? The pregnancy test was negative.

The girl was embarrassed and humiliated, and her parents were mad as hell when they found out. (We would be, too!) They worked with the Pacific Justice Institute to get an apology from the Nevada City School District, but didn't receive one.

The lawsuit seeks damages for violation of the girl's right to privacy and emotional distress.

What would you do if this happened to YOUR daughter?

next: Octuplets' Baby Names Revealed
leelee February 10, 2009, 7:21 PM

I would be livid! I would want that counselor removed from the school and a writen appology to my daughter! How dare he!

SesshoumarusGirl February 10, 2009, 7:22 PM

This isn’t the schools buiness anyway, all this on a RUMOR? Give me a break!

K&C's mom February 10, 2009, 10:13 PM

If anything, he should have called the girl’s parents, and let them deal with it!!!!! How dare he, I would have a hard time controlling myself!!!! It’s none of his buisness in the first place and in the second, even if it were true, he had no authority to do this.

Chrissy February 10, 2009, 10:40 PM

Absolutely wrong!
By the way, what is a middle school doing with pregnancy tests? Heck, you can’r give a child an asprin without parental permission - but a pregnancy test.
Yep, I would sue too.

Anonymous February 10, 2009, 11:02 PM

I would not quit until that counselor was fired!

Cristina Mathers February 10, 2009, 11:55 PM

not appropriate AT ALL! not even close to appropriate and if i was parent i would make sure that the entire school board knew so.

Stephanie February 11, 2009, 12:12 AM

Apparently my reaction was not those of others here but I think it is RIDICULOUS for a society to turn a blind eye to teen pregnancies only to find babies in trash cans. At least someone did something… unless he made her take the pregnancy test at a school assembly then I don’t see what the outrage is. Perhaps he thought that involving parents when a rumor is unfounded would be harmful to her. I know I would have been embarrassed for my parents to know if a nasty rumor like that had been spread about me.

When I was in high school a classmate “found out” she was pregnant at almost 8 months. Although it was clear to me for months prior that she was showing, none of the adults around her did anything. At the very least an adult should have intervened to ensure that the baby received proper prenatal care. But, NO, things like this make school professionals afraid to step in.

Oh, and by the way, how much of this story is entirely accurate? I know of at least one girl in my high school who proclaimed herself to be pregnant when she, in fact, was not. For attention and to keep a boyfriend I presume. In any case, we should all keep in mind that teens add details, omit details and even outright lie…

Gigohead  February 11, 2009, 9:44 AM

I may also be in the minority here, but if there is smoke there is usually fire. So perhaps the rumors fly over this girl means she is sexually active. The only reason why most folks are bitter now is because it turned out to be negative. God forbid it turned out to be positive, the counselor would have been hailed a hero.

I don’t see a lawsuit here. Trust me, this girl is going to continue to do her “thing” and sure enough..she will end up pregnant.

young mom February 11, 2009, 2:54 PM

This is so ridiculous! The counsellor had absolutely no right, or even reason besides a rumor fathomed by a classmate, to do this and the school should not have allowed it to happen. I would be livid.

Jill February 11, 2009, 3:34 PM

The right thing for him to do should have been to talk her and however was spreading the rumors. he than should have gotten both parents involved. Just because there were rumors that she was pregnant does not mean that she is sexually active. Face it girls can fight nasty and say the most insulting things to or about each other. The counselor could have taken this chance to talk to everyone involved including the parents about sex and how to be safe.

Anonymous February 12, 2009, 4:06 PM

With the way girls are these days I’m not surprised that he did that. Is it a violation of privacy, yes. What if the test was positive? Wouldn’t the parents be happy they found out instead of hearing later that she had an abortion or left the baby in a garbage can? Parents make the schools responsible for everything anyway, why not let them give pregnancy tests?

Jill (the other one) February 13, 2009, 5:03 AM

Gigohead: I think you’ve forgotten what it’s like to be an adolescent. Rumors are spread to tear girls down, not because they have any basis in fact. There was a rumor going around in my high school that I was pregnant and I didn’t even date in high school. Girls love to tell people that other girls that they don’t like are sluts because they like to make other girls miserable. That’s how they operate for many years and in fact some never outgrow it.
The better choice would have been to call the parents and let them decide what to do. The actions of the counselor just gave credence to the rumors and now this poor girl is going to be branded a slut or worse for the next several years.

jenna February 18, 2009, 10:56 AM

Better to be safe than sorry. Many parents choose to live life in denial - which is how kids get in trouble in the first place. To ensure the safety of the girl and a potential pregnancy - I commend the counselor for trying to find out if the girl was really pregnant or not.

Dorothy February 24, 2009, 2:55 PM

Oh My Gawd,
This guy should be fired!
Jenna you wrote that it is better to be safe then sorry….What is that suppose to mean? Would you want this MAN treating you or your daughter this way?
Do you have any clue as to what this man might have done to this LITTLE GIRLS self assteem… Shame on you for giving this guy Kudos….

Tiffany February 24, 2009, 11:19 PM

From what I have read here in this article this person did not contact the girl’s parents first….so that in itself was WRONG!!! Since that person didn’t take the proper steps to cover their butt then yes by all means should the parents go after them…that was irresponsible period!!! As far as the girl is concerned I feel horrible for her and hope her parents seek help for her.

Ju February 25, 2009, 10:39 PM

Even if the test had come out positive, it was still in violation of her rights. Did the counselor talk to the one who spread the rumor? Why were the parents not contacted? If the girl was lying about being forced to take a preggo test, it’s her words against the counselor. And really, most parents of daughters want their daughters to be virgins until they are happily married (I know I do!) so they will listen to their daughter even if she lies. This entire thing was handled badly. The bottom line, the parents should have been involved with this from step 1.

sun February 26, 2009, 12:42 PM

Well, I see both sides. My comment is that the principal should have given her a card to go to planned parenthood. A professional in this matter. But, this is junior high. That is awfully young and the parents should have been called. My guess is that if she is sexually active and getting pregnant her parents are not involved like they should be.

Yvoxolcq June 26, 2009, 7:00 AM