Hey New Age Parents! Your Kid Needs Time Out!

Guest blogger Mary Poppins: Attention New Age Parents: Your kid needs to be put in TIME OUT! I get that you do not want your overly sensitive wimp of a kid to be hurt but you are running out of options. Placing your child in a designated spot when they misbehave is not a cardinal offense. It is necessary! Even the best children need to learn when their actions are unacceptable. It really is so sweet that you are concerned about your child's feelings being hurt, but let's be honest you don't put her in time out because you want her to like you.

Kid standing in corner

Yes, she will cry and scream and be angry at you because she is going to have to stop playing with his toys, but guess what?? She needs structure and discipline. Being a "fun" parent is not what is most important when your child's future as a law-abiding citizen is at stake. When I walk into your home and witness your child throwing things and ripping pictures off the wall, my first reaction is to tell her to calm down, sit down and think about what she has done. You, on the other hand, worry that recognizing her bad behavior will just emphasize that it gives her attention. You are INSANE! Of course it gives her attention, it also gives her much needed discipline.

Discipline is something that all children need. It shows them that you care about what they are doing and that you want them to act in the best way possible. Willingly choosing to ignore that they are acting out just causes them to act out more. I recognize you when you are at the playground because you are the parent that has the screaming kid that will not listen to a word you say, I on the other hand have the children that play nicely and stay away from your bratty bunch.

So all you highly sensitized parents do society a favor and put your kid in the corner.

next: Usher's Wife 'Stable' After Medical Emergency
Kara February 9, 2009, 2:46 PM

Really, Momlogic, is your main goal to incite anger? I THOUGHT this site could provide insight, an opportunity to see how other moms are doing and dealing but instead you keep posting ridiculous stories and sensationalizing everything. What a waste of my time.

Nancy February 9, 2009, 9:50 PM

I bet this blogger also advocates spanking children. Ridiculous.

Sally February 9, 2009, 9:55 PM

I completely agree with Poppins. It is so disturbing to see children misbehave and have no repercussions. It really does not bode well for the future.

Lola February 9, 2009, 10:28 PM

I think this blogger has a good point. How can you expect your child to respect you if they do not recognize you as an elder that must be listened to? It is a nice thought to want to be your child’s best friend but is it realistic in good parenting? No.

nic February 9, 2009, 10:33 PM

there’s a mom mom who has 2 little girls who run over her. she doesn’t believe in spanking. they scream, misbehave, they ignore her. now at grandmas… they scream and misbehave, grandma will get a switch. they behave and listen to grandma.

Anonymous February 9, 2009, 10:36 PM

I also agree with Poppins, kids need at least a little bit of discipline in their lives to grow up to be respectable adults. And as for the spanking comment? Get over yourself… this blogger is proposing a way of dealing with children that is NOT violent so why did YOU feel the need to take it to that level? I think Poppins is giving great advice!

Chrissy February 10, 2009, 12:20 AM

Nancy - seriously? You have a problem with “time out”? Or discpline in general?
Hm, maybe the articel described you a little too accurately? And you didn’t like?

K&C's mom February 10, 2009, 1:04 AM

My sister-in-law is the perfect example of a parent that needs to discipline her kids. By the time her oldest was 13, he was on probation for starting a fire that caused 1,000’s of dollars of damage, he is now 15, and on fellony probation for assualt. He desided to punch another kid in the face because he felt like it, and broke the kids glasses and he had to have stitches. All 5 of her kids have been arrested for shoplifting, they get in trouble at school. And her 2 oldest once got in a fist fight over who was going to hold my 3 week old baby, so yes kids need discipline!!!!!!!!!

REBECCA February 10, 2009, 5:50 AM

I was one of those mother’s that did not properly dicipline a child. I felt so sorry for my daughter when her father died I figured her attitude was due to that but it just kept getting worse every day. Over the years I created a monster and am now trying to tame her and put some order in her life and mind. She is slowly coming around but trust me it was much easier creating a monster than it has been to tame . I love my daughter and apologize to her daily for the way I allowed her to do as she wished. Discipline is very necessary for children.

Anne February 10, 2009, 4:33 PM

Agreed - discipline is a MUST for children - if they don’t learn how to be obedient and act responsibly, they will have problems interacting socially in the future. I have never understood why some parents refuse to punish their children for acting poorly - are they afraid of “hurting” them? 15 minutes in the corner (learning a lesson) is practically a gift compared to the damage they could do to themselves (and others) if they don’t learn to behave

Cherokee February 10, 2009, 8:18 PM

Good for you Mary Poppins…way to call it like you see it!

Sassy pants 229 February 10, 2009, 8:19 PM

You go girl!

hellos January 20, 2011, 8:47 AM

Character is everything, so we pauperism to ensure that there are values on what we are sharing to book our subscribers involved. Effort them harassed is one feeling we must line do!
portable gas grills

Cayle May 21, 2011, 12:47 PM

Hahaahha. I’m not too bright today. Great post!

Ryne May 22, 2011, 9:17 AM

Wow, that’s a really celevr way of thinking about it!