Who Abducted Haleigh Cummings?

She has been missing since Monday night.

haleigh cummings

Tuesday morning, we told you about little 5-year-old Haleigh Cummings, who had gone missing Monday night from her home. At the time, they were questioning the father about her disappearance.

But now they are treating the disappearance of the north Florida girl as an abduction. 44 sex offenders live within five miles of her rural home. Did one of them kidnap her?

The search continues today.

The Putnam County Sheriff's Office said investigators assume Haleigh Cummings was abducted because house-to-house searches of the neighborhood Wednesday found no evidence that she wandered away.

Haleigh's father Ronald Cummings also said he didn't believe she had left their home in the middle of the night.

"I know somebody took her. I know for a fact she didn't wander off -- she's afraid of the dark," Cummings told NBC's "Today" on Thursday.

Haleigh was last seen Monday night in her father's mobile home in Satsuma. The rural community along the St. Johns River is about 70 miles north of Orlando.

She was reported missing when her father returned home from work early Tuesday. His girlfriend had woken up and discovered the child was missing.

The girlfriend, 17-year-old Misty Croslin, told a 911 dispatcher that a back door that was usually locked had been propped open by a brick.

Sheriff Jeff Hardy told NBC's "Today" that searches for Haleigh by air, ground and water would continue Thursday. Investigators also were interviewing those 44 sex offenders.

Do you think one of them took her?

next: Are You Harder on Your First-Born?
Gigohead  February 12, 2009, 12:51 PM

Holy crap! The father is a sex offender, what is he doing shacking up with a 17 year old girl anyway? Who knows if she had something to do with this disappearances. NOTHING gets past me now.

blondie 293 February 12, 2009, 1:28 PM

why does that make him an offender he could be 19 she could be turning 18 get over the fact of that . theres worst things out there like our teachers sleeping our children.

Laylalee February 12, 2009, 3:02 PM

I really, really, really hope that the father or girlfriend is not involved. There aren’t usually any happy endings in these stories, but i pray there will be

KimNorth February 12, 2009, 4:08 PM

The girlfriend left the door open and the kids alone and was out having fun and is lying so her man won’t know. The police I hope are asking the folks that live around there about any guest they had that night and the girl friend who she was with as they would see her being there and not with the kids as an open invite to go to the trailer and no adult home to stop them.

Micaela February 12, 2009, 4:53 PM

I hope the girlfriend didn’t have anything to do with it to get the little girl out of the way of her relationship with the dad.

Anonymous February 12, 2009, 5:39 PM

I hope and pray they find her alive. I have a feeling the girlfriend knows more than what she is saying. I mean come on something is not right.

buzz February 12, 2009, 5:43 PM

Anyone with a child: please go online and look at where the sex offenders in your community live. Tell your children never to go near them.

Renee February 12, 2009, 5:46 PM

Why didn’t the girlfriend call 911 when she first found the girl gone? She waited till the dad came in from work and he told her to call them.

ame i. February 12, 2009, 6:47 PM

The age of consent in FL is 18, but if a person is a person will turn 18 soon & their partner’s age is close within a couple of years charges being pressed is rare.
It is very suspicious for the girlfriend to wait until the girl’s father got home instead of calling the second she knew the child was missing.
I fear the girlfriend either lost her temper with the little girl with tragic results, or knows who took her. Sadly, I doubt this baby will be found alive.

Cambie February 12, 2009, 8:18 PM

Dude’s got a 17 year old girlfriend? I’m guessing not so mature gal-pal has gotten rid of the ‘competition’.

mommy of a 5 yr old February 12, 2009, 9:14 PM

Check the moms crystal sheffields myspace page. She states that her interests are taking are of her new baby chloe and the other BRATS. Who in there right mind would say that. Why did she really lose custody of her 2 kids with Ron. Where is chloes dad when all this is going on. I have not seen crystal cry or try to choke back tears or even get aggitated in any interview. At least Caylee Anthonys family could squeeze out some tears. I pray to god that I am wrong and that she is returned safe and sound but its been a long time since a child was taken for ranson. Its all for sick and twisted purposes. My family prays for Haleigh everyday.

Deb February 12, 2009, 10:23 PM

I agree with the last comment: Crystal did not seem to be as upset as Misty! And she is the bio-Mom!! I wonder if Crystal was bitter or jealous of the new ‘girlfriend’ and she DID lose custody and said she felt like the court “blew her off” at the custody hearing….so, maybe she and an accomplice set it up? hmmm? And she has an alibi that she was far away at her home at the time….right. Could be… I would ask CRYSTAL to take a poly!

KimNorth February 13, 2009, 12:03 AM

I think Crystal the mom might be on some kind of medication to keep her calm.
I know I would need to be medicated.

Grannie February 13, 2009, 12:05 AM

The mom Crystal DID cry and was weeping during a TV interview on Tuesday. She wasn’t crying on Nancy Grace. It is a shame how people are having children and don’t take parenting seriously. A 25 year old father living with a 17 year old….then hand over the responsibility of taking care of the children to an immature teenager while he’s at work. I’ll bet the girlfriend was in a bad home of parents and needed to get out. Bad parenting are the only words I can think of at the time. Unfortunately, and sad to say, the Mom is not much better. Has anyone heard of raising the children you have first and stop thinking of yourself. Put new relationships on the back burner until the children are satisfactorily parented and loved. What in the world are people thinking when having children!!!! CPS needs to take the remaining child from the father’s custody in my opinion.

Kathleen February 13, 2009, 12:15 AM

We all hope and pray for this Angel’s safe and prompt return.However must compell law enforcement to excersixe their rites to investigate vigorously.I feel very strongly this babysitter/girl friend is being less than honest-and further think her interviews,like those of caylaa Anthony display classic signs of Reactive Attachment Disorder 9RAD)-a mental health issue which is often recognized by pathological lieing…My guess is the teen age sitter will be in custody soon.Hopefully bright enough to provide answers this society deserves.

annonymousperson49 February 13, 2009, 6:26 AM

After reviewing the information that I have been given via media on this child here is a tip/suggestion since I know you are over there looking for her. I think that if this is an actual abduction which my gut tells me it is, they need to search the river bottoms if there happens to be a body of water in this area. I don’t know the area and have not checked a map yet but if there is a body of water you want to run up and down the banks of it. Check dark alleys where someone who is homeless might be living. I doubt she is in a wooded area- still possible though. This child may still be alive but if she is.. she is almost dead. I can almost gaurantee that this child will be found dead and I can almost assure you she is or was tortured and raped repeatidly. Most likely a white male, probably between 5 foot eight inches to five foot eleven inches. Average in weight with probably some sort of facial hair. Scruffy looking. Probably a drug user and not neccessarily a known registered sex offender because not all sex offenders get caught.. but it could be someone who is registered of course that is always possible. You need to ask the family or anyone close to the case if that family knows of anyone that fits this profile. We all know that usually when something like this happens it the suspect turns out to be someone that knows the family or victim and oddly enough they don’t have to know them well.. they could have just said hi to eachother and boom there ya go. I could be way off and not know what I am talking about but in this sort of situation any gut feelings or anything of this nature deserves to be looked into the more places you look the more places you can rule out right? That’s the beauty of the process of elimination. Thanks for your time and I hope you check into this. I really do. It could be a matter between life and death.

chez February 13, 2009, 9:13 AM

No one thought of this one !!!!!! did Misty have a lover/predator around the home when the boyfriend is working ???? All of you think the abductor broke in the back door……..not a chance, he was in the house with Misty and when she fell asleep he took out the little girl. She looks soooooooo guilty. Hey little Misty, your not acting so well, tell us who you let in that home when your boyfriend is working…….give out names and numbers. M i s t y s p e a k u p .

Gigohead  February 13, 2009, 10:25 AM

Again, I’m very adamant that the girlfriend cooked this thing up to get “sympathy” from the 25-year old boyfriend. Why would she WAIT for the BF to suddenly call the cops? Her 911 call was iffy if you ask me.

God I hope this little girl is still alive. She doesn’t deserve to live with any of these two parents.

Ram n Rem's mom February 13, 2009, 10:42 AM

I just hope they find this little girl. My heart goes out to the family. there are to many sick people in this world. People just hope they find her!!

UK reader February 13, 2009, 11:25 AM

annonymousperson49 Is that your profile of a sex offender? LOL!!!! :-) Sex offenders come from all walks of life and are no longer the stereotypical “dirty, scuffy old man” that you would like everyone to falsely believe they are? Sex offenders are fathers, mothers, other family members, juveniles, teachers, doctors, in fact just about anyone can be a sex offender these days.

Christopher & Amanda Jansen a married couple from Watertown, NY have both been charged with Predatory Sexual Assault on a Child and they don’t look scuffy at all in fact they just look like a regular married couple.