Help! I'm Addicted to Girl Scout Cookies

Momlogic's Susannah Locketti: Plain and simple, the Girl Scouts need to start selling produce instead of cookies. I'd be so much thinner! I swear these girls prey on will power deficient moms like me. Either that or I stalk anyone selling a box.

cookies.jpg

I almost made it through the Girl Scout cookie phase this season, but unfortunately my PMS kicked in the at the tail end of sales -- so I bought four boxes. Actually, I deliberately searched out a woman at work knowing she's a Girl Scout leader. Within minutes, I was writing a check in a dark parking lot for four boxes of Girl Scout cookies. This woman had her minivan stacked to the brim with every variety. Now that's what I call customer service!

I gave two boxes as gifts while running errands after work. The other two boxes were left to my own demise. I hate this point of the Girl Scout cookie purchase. You feel good buying the cookies because you are supporting a great cause, but where is the support I need to prevent myself from eating all of the cookies in one sitting? (like I did last year...and the year before that...and the year before that)

Come to think of it, the Girl Scouts should man a hot line each year devoted to helping people stop at just one cookie. I can just see myself now calling the hotline and then yelling at the poor thing for telling a grown woman to stop at just one cookie ... the nerve of those girls!

It all started so innocently this year with what was behind box number one ... two sleeves of Thin Mints. Ironic they have the word "Thin" in the name. I hid the cookies in my desk at work and noshed on a sleeve all morning. Did I mention they are reaaallly good with coffee? By the time my coffee was empty, so was the sleeve of Thin Mints. BTW, they also make a great cheesecake crust. I tried to give the second sleeve to my husband after work, but he left them on the kitchen island and fell asleep. I shamelessly devoured that sleeve by midnight ... and didn't feel guilty. Girl Scout cookies will do that to you.

The second box of Lemon Round Shortbreads represented breakfast, lunch and dinner the next day ... no lie. Regrettably, I glanced at the nutritional label. FACT: I consumed 56 grams of fat and 1200 calories in this variety alone! This is the part where you curse yourself for even buying the cookies in the first place! I then wonder why I do this to myself year after year, box after box ... when I KNOW Girl Scout cookies are no good for me, set me back a decade in the weight loss department and make me feel horrible because I don't have the will power to stop at one box, let along one cookie. That's because they taste so good going down...you forget about all the bad ... until the box is empty. Here's the worst part. Remember the two boxes I gave as gifts? I gave one box to my camera guy Chuck and ate them when I was at his house this week ... Caramel DeLites ... my favorite.

Is it just me or are there "others" out there suffering from Girl Scout cookie addiction? What's your cookie of choice? How do you resist the temptation? Are you a Girl Scout leader and secretly eat the cookies? Would love to hear your Girl Scout cookie stories!

next: Leeza Gibbons Makes a Difference
ashley February 21, 2009, 8:11 AM

UUUGGHH!! I thought we were out of the woods. One of the older sisters to one of our little tiger cub scouts is a girl scout and I told her I’d buy some (they’re trying to go to NASA, I just wanted to help) but I haven’t seen her since. Then last night, my hubby and I were headed into WalMart and I saw a lady that I worked with at the holiday store and school and they were selling cookies. I told her we’d buy some. Well, we went to Blockbuster first and then we managed to sneak in the front door without being seen by the cookie slingers. Then, after shopping, I sent my hubby out to the car with the groceries and I had to get something I forgot. When I got out side I tried to sneak past but she said,”He wait Your husband paid for some cookies and wants you to pick what you want” Thanks darling!!!

Michelle February 21, 2009, 11:12 AM

Lol! I’m the Girl Scout leader here in NC, and I’ve eaten 3 boxes myself over the last few weeks. It’s hard to resist when you have about 50 cases sitting in your dining room. And that’s 12 boxes per case too. Thank goodness, they are all mostly sold!

Michelle February 21, 2009, 11:14 AM

And yes, I did eat the Lemon go rounds for breakfast one morning. Yummy!

Amber February 21, 2009, 11:19 AM

I’ve never liked any kind of girl scout cookie. My niece is selling them and when my sister read off the different kinds to me they all sound disgusting. My husband, however, ordered 6 boxes for himself! :p

Marquita February 21, 2009, 6:46 PM

About the same time every year I say, “I sure would like some Somoas(Caramel Delights) and then a week later I find out it is Girl Scout season. The only thing is, the kind of cookies I like only comes in 12, so i can eat them in a day

Crystal February 23, 2009, 10:39 AM

I am a girl scout leader and I have to keep all of my cookies in the car so I don’t rip into a box everytime a hunger pang hits. My family of four has gone through a at least eight boxes. I have had to start Jenny Craig because of the pounds but I think they’re worth it:) MMMM

Sheila February 24, 2009, 6:11 AM

*waves hand* Include me in the Girl Scout cookie madness. I signed my daughter up for Girl Scout this year and she’s a Brownie. Awwwww! So cute, my daughter even has a delectable title to go along with her sash! I resisted buying an entire case of cookies and limited myself to 4 boxes as well. I can guarantee I will not be gifting 2 boxes though. They are MINE!! All mine!! *insert evil cackle here* The Samoas and the Thin Mints are my favorites. You say they make a great cheesecake crust eh? Curse you for telling us that!! LOL!

Sue February 24, 2009, 8:26 AM

I am a Girl Scout leader who does not have a daughter of my own in the troop (my daughter is in college but I help out a Brownie troop). So, I told the girls in my troop that I would buy cookies from them…all 11 of them!! I ended up buying 2 boxes from each girl (mostly Thin Mints), just to be fair of course!!! I plan on freezing them (at least those that I don’t eat right away!!) so I can binge…er, I mean, enjoy all year long!

Renee in Texas February 24, 2009, 11:39 AM

As a Girl scout leader of Juniors I would like to say Thank You to everyone who buys Girl Scout cookies. Not only are they the best cookies on earth (yes I have been through 9 boxes this cookie season) but you are helping these girls earn money for things they want to do. My Girls are new to Girl Scouts and have never been camping. So we are taking our hard earned money and buying a two night stay at camp Kachina in Belton Texas. Again Thank you Everyone

Melanie February 24, 2009, 4:33 PM

OK SO THE WOMAN WHO TOLD THIS STORY SHOULD FEEL GOOD AFTER MY STORY! I PURCHASED 4 BOXES OF TAGALONGS (THE ONLY ONE’S I EAT). I BROUGHT THEM HOME THURSDAY EVENING AND ATE THEM ALL WEEKEND BY MYSELF (KIDS HAD THEY’RE OWN BOXES). SUNDAY NIGHT I WENT TO GET MORE TO EAT, THERE WERE NO MORE! YES WOMEN…I ATE ALL FOUR! BOXES OF TAGALONGS IN 3 DAYS!! I’M 128 POUNDS & PRETTY SHORT SO IF I TIP ON OVER TO 130 POUNDS THAT’S OVERWEIGHT. ALL I CAN SAY IN MY DEFENSE TO MYSELF IS…IT SUPPORTS A GOOD THING AND IT’S ONCE A YEAR! AND I THINK I’LL EAT HAM SANDWHICHES AND DRINK WATER FOR LUNCH AND DINNER FOR THE NEXT 3 MONTHS!

THANK YOU FOR THE DELICIOUS COOKIES ANYWAY GIRL SCOUTS!

-FORMER GIRL SCOUT, KENTUCKY

mindy February 27, 2009, 12:01 AM

This is my daughter’s first year as a girl scout. And after reading these stories I’m glad that our Girl Scout troop takes the orders first and then the cookies come in. I think that if I had to carry boxes and boxes of Thin Mint cookies around, there would be no more cookies left to sell. I would’ve eaten them ALL and then owe our troop my right arm and second born child. lol

Ju February 27, 2009, 3:33 AM

I was a Girl Scout, so I feel bad for the girls and will buy a box or just donate the money. I’m lucky I’m more of a cake person. This year I bought box for my 2 yr old, the big lemon things. I gave her a 5 to give to the girls and told them to keep the change. They thought she was soooooo cute, especially when she said “Thank You.”

Uwepxdhv June 28, 2009, 1:54 PM

6oaMnc comment4 ,

Breck September 4, 2009, 4:49 PM

Hi webmaster!.
I am from Mongolia and know bad English, tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “Generally, they also predisposed or listed innovative walls prompted to levine’s business selling them to businessmen of sharing of risk.”

Thank you very much ;-). Breck.

Devorah September 8, 2009, 1:37 PM

How are you. The toughest question has always been, “How do you get your ideas?” How do you answer that? It’s like asking runners how they run, or singers how they sing. They just do it!
I am from Andorra and now study English, tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “The higher potential a money was, the more maintenance suffering he or she had to protect only, which fell their health formaldehyde.”

THX :(, Devorah.

Fashion Merchandising October 12, 2010, 5:01 PM

I’m currently working on a forum to house all industry professionals under one roof and to provide an area where we can grow together.

Benton Neitz March 16, 2011, 12:27 PM

I’d come to clinch the deal with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I really like reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Cookie Master March 31, 2011, 1:43 PM

It’s that time of the year again. We bought 4 boxes yes 4. 2 of my favorites, tagalongs, and 2 thank u berry much. I LOVE GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!