OMG! I Forgot Valentine's Day!

And it made me feel like the worst mom in the world.

Woman covering face with hands, looking down

Momlogic's Julie: When my first-born was two, he started preschool. I knew the class was having a Valentine's party ... but it didn't occur to me that I would need to buy Valentine's Day cards until February 13 at 10 PM.

After my son had gone to sleep that night, I found a crumpled piece of paper at the bottom of his backpack. It was a class list for the Valentines. SH*T, I FORGOT THE VALENTINES! I threw on some sweats and hauled butt to the nearest grocery store. No luck. They were out of valentines. Did the clerk give me a look of pity ... or disgust? Hard to tell. But I already felt bad enough.

She said to try the drugstore, open 24 hours.

I went there and the Valentine's Day aisle was nearly empty. All they had were two boxes of Bratz valentines. I couldn't in good conscience send my SON to school with Bratz valentine's, could I?

There were a few other parents milling about, looking as lost and desperate as I was.

I went to the greeting card aisle. More people looking desperate and frantic. No preschool-appropriate cards there, either.

I hit the office supply aisle for some red construction paper. They were all out. Guess I wasn't the first person to have that idea.

I felt defeated. I was the worst mom in the world.

In desperation, I ended up buying brown paper lunch bags, filling them with candy, and then cutting a heart out of the top and tying the bags with a red bow.

That would just have to be good enough.

And you know what? It was. He didn't even know the difference.

But ever since, I always buy the valentines EXTRA early. With a little luck, I will never have to make that February 13 walk of shame again!

Have YOU ever forgotten your kids' class valentines?

next: Boys in 'Sexting' Case Looking to Move On
Me February 12, 2009, 3:43 PM

And that is how the overachieving mom was born. I do “just” valentines every year but there are always those moms with the goodie bags. UGH

I sent my kids to school on pajama day NOT wearing pj’s. I feel your pain girl.

Anonymous February 12, 2009, 3:46 PM

It’s just preschool. Get over it!

erica February 12, 2009, 4:04 PM

no valentines day cards??Where do u live??At least u sent something..and it was home made..good enough

jw February 12, 2009, 4:44 PM

What you sent was home made AND it had Candy… That was probably the most popular valentine in the class :O) I once forgot to make cupcakes for my own child’s birthday at school… His birthday fell on a Thursday so we were having the actual party that weekend… but every mommy knows that on the actual b-day you gotta have cupcakes for the class. I of course realized this at 10:30 the night before. Oh JOY!! So I was up late the night before baking cupcakes. then of course I had the joy (no really JOY) of frosting cupcakes at 6 AM. And yes we had cupcakes for breakfast that day :O)

teacherandmom February 12, 2009, 10:01 PM

I remembered the Valentine’s this week…but I forgot breakfast last week. I think it evens itself out.

Anonymous February 12, 2009, 10:46 PM

Absolutly, as a matter of fact what time is it is it 10pm yet. Kids at that age dont know the difference. the preschool will have a party and the kids will get all sugar filled and all will be happy, but mom when they climb the walls for the rest of the night.

Estella February 12, 2009, 10:50 PM

I haven’t forgotten the Valentine cards, I’ve just waited for the last minute. Gave a Valentine Card stamp-a-stack at my daughter’s school last week and helped OTHER moms and their children make their Valentine’s cards. Do you think we were making my daughter’s cards at OUR class? LOL. Not! So now here I am the night before and I will be stamping the cards before I sleep.

JenniferJ February 13, 2009, 8:09 AM

I did it this year!! I took her to school on Wednesday with the intent to sign up to bring a treat for the party Friday, only to learn that the party was that day! It’s preschool and she didn’t notice that she didn’t have Valentines to give out, but I feel HORRIBLE!

Lisa February 13, 2009, 8:34 AM

Haha! I was baking cookies last night (the night before my daughter’s class party) while trying to watch Grey’s Anatomy. Ended up burning the first batch because I forgot to set the timer…thank goodness it was a big recipe so I was able to pull it off without having to start from scratch. But I did have the valentine’s and I actually did goody bags this year…it just worked out that way…not usually something I pull off.

erotik film sahneleri April 3, 2011, 3:26 PM

We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website offered us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

ricette April 8, 2011, 5:13 PM

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate?