Snap, Crackle, Pot! Kellogg's Dumps Phelps

Kellogg's announced it would not renew Michael Phelps' contract after a photo surfaced of him smoking from a bong. Hours later, Phelps was suspended from competitive swimming for three months.

michaeldrugs270.jpg
Olympic hero Michael Phelps was suspended from competitive swimming for three months on Thursday -- just hours after one of his sponsors announced it would not renew his contract after a photo surfaced of him smoking from a bong.

USA Swimming, the nation's governing body for competitive swimming, said it was withdrawing financial support for Phelps and barring him from competition during the three-month period of his "reprimand."

"This is not a situation where any anti-doping rule was violated, but we decided to send a strong message to Michael because he disappointed so many people, particularly the hundreds of thousands of USA Swimming-member kids who look up to him as a role model and a hero," they said in a statement. "Michael has voluntarily accepted this reprimand and has committed to earn back our trust," the statement continued.

Earlier Thursday, Kellogg Co. said it will not renew Phelps' advertising contract. "Michael's most recent behavior is not consistent with the image of Kellogg," company spokeswoman Susanne Norwitz said. "His contract expires at the end of February, and we have made a decision not to extend his contract."

In a statement released Sunday, Phelps, who won a record eight gold medals at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China, said: "I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment." "I'm 23 years old, and despite the successes I have had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner that people have come to expect from me," he said. "For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public -- it will not happen again."

Do you feel Michael Phelps, a national role model, let your kids down when he smoked pot ... or is it no big deal? Comment below.

michael phelps

next: I'm Pissed I Paid for the Octuplets' IVF
mbertin February 6, 2009, 2:19 AM

I believe it is a big deal. Although regrettable for Phelps, he is/was? a role model for kids. Doing drugs when you are a professional athlete at his level of accomplishment is just not smart and should not be acceptable. He made a mistake but with mistakes also come consequences. Hopefully he will stop smoking pot and put this episode behind him in the future.

Andy February 6, 2009, 3:00 AM

So a 23 year old smokes pot. Nothing new. What about Miley Cyrus’ boyfriend dating a minor? Or what about a professional athlete using steroids? Or a politician not paying his taxes? Pot!? C’mon. Get the guy a bag of Doritos.

Melanie February 6, 2009, 3:13 AM

People make mistakes and he’s young. However, he’s been in trouble for DUI before. If wants to smoke out it disappoints me but that’s his business. I hope there’s not a next time but for Pete’s sake smoke at home not at a frat party. That was just dumb. I’m glad Kelloggs took their money away. Hopefully this is the message that kids can take away: mistakes are human but they can have very big consequences and impact more than just the person making them.

Anonymous February 6, 2009, 7:25 AM

This is silly. The young man went to a party at the age of 25, he let loose and made a regrettable mistake. Regardless of how many other people do it, ( I used to be one),he is not other people. While I think that this was sad he is being chastized for his decision. Who hasn’t woken up the morning after a party with some serious regrets. It is a rite of passage for all who are on the threshold of addulthood. Let us remember he is 23 years old.. deicsions will be made at 23 that you would never make at 33 nad for all of you who have a huge problem with this ( kellogg_) remember your own young years and I dare and defy you to state outloud there are no decisions you made at that age that would most likely shock the rest of the free world. The kid let loose and had fun,leave him alone about it…

Anonymous February 6, 2009, 9:49 AM

Andy im with you, pass them Doritos his way, Really!!

Ivana Gomez February 6, 2009, 10:11 AM

I hope Phelps likes Cooler Ranch

Cambie Brown February 6, 2009, 10:56 AM

While I agree it’s not a huge deal, I agree with Kellogg’s dumping him. I think Kellogg’s is sending a much better message to kids this way!

Laura Bailey February 6, 2009, 11:34 AM

It is sad when stones are thrown. He is a public hero but also human. We all have ghosts in our closets every one of us.
we all make mistakes which we regret. If mine were made so public I’m not sure what I would do!
walk in the shoes of someone else then be so quick to judge based on one moment someone messes up! We love dirty laundry and making someone look bad!
why? Are we all saints? Hmmmmm!

Iolanthe February 6, 2009, 11:52 AM

I am a 47-year-old mother of two, aged 13 and 10, and I couldn’t disagree more with this decision.

1) I, not Kellogg’s, am responsible for filtering the messages the media delivers to my kids and for addressing with them any issues raised by Mr. Phelps’ actions.

2) I have never used marijuana in my life, but I do not consider it a huge moral failing for Phelps to have done so. Our last 3 presidents have all admitted to smoking pot.

3) Kellogg’s is in no position as a corporation to wield this kind of heavy-handed ethical sledgehammer. Every day my kids are exposed to their own unhealthy products marketed directly at them. Hello Mrs. Kettle, meet Mr. Pot (pun intended).

4) The overblown reaction to this smacks of old-style Bush/Reagan culture-war-mongering, and reminds me very much of the equally silly Janet Jackson “wardrobe malfunction” brouhaha. The election of Obama sent a clear message to culture warriors to Back Off.

5)Kellogg’s actions serve to diminish Mr. Phelps’ very real accomplishments, a lifetime of disciplined hard work and grace under pressure that a single photo could never in a million years undo. As a mother, I can explain to my children both what is admirable and what is to be avoided in Mr. Phelps behavior. I don’t need Kellogg’s help.

I am boycotting Kellogg’s products, and I encourage everyone else to do so.

niki February 6, 2009, 12:29 PM

Boycott Kelloggs!!! They endorsed an athlete who got behind the wheel intoxicated and endangered peoples lives and then dropped him when they saw him smoking from a bong.

Al  February 6, 2009, 1:26 PM

I totally agree with Iolanthe. A parent who takes responsibility for her children!

DVDRVF February 6, 2009, 1:48 PM

It doesnt matter taht we are all not saints as one writer wrote. we are not ALL represenations of health and sports. I think that that is the point here. Good for Kellogg’s and the message -
How can you tell your kids that pot is bad or drugs are bad when an 8 Gold medal winner smokes pot?

Amazed February 6, 2009, 1:54 PM

Iolanthe-Tell me seriously that I mis read your post! You did NOT just throw in a bash Bush/Praise Obama into an article about Phelps smoking pot did you? Seriously…did you? So you are boycotting Kelloggs? Why? Did I miss something? Did someone at Kelloggs smoke it up with him? And while you are at it, spend your time and energy “boybotting” meaningful causes. If you are so into this blame game, do you boycott ALL professional sports? Movies? TV? Just wondering.

Mizcebe February 6, 2009, 2:58 PM

Iolanthe, good luck with that! I’m old enough to be your mother and have been through the “culture wars” raising my now grown daughter. Believe me, it isn’t easy to teach morality when everything around you is in moral chaos and in direct opposition to the message you are trying to convey. Regardless of what you tell your kids, they will be influenced by the culture—just as you and I have been. We presently have a culture that lacks a moral compass making it very difficult to give a young mind good direction. While it is true that we all make mistakes and some can be attributed to the callowness of youth, it is also true that there are consequences for those mistakes. That is one of the most important life lessons for anyone to learn. As for Michael Phelps—admire his achievements, but don’t let him off the hook for his mistakes. You won’t be doing yourself, your kids or Phelps any favors. In the long run, Michael Phelps will be a better person for having to pay the piper. We can (and should) forgive, but we don’t have to give our stamp of approval. As John Kennedy once said, “For of those to whom much is given, much is required”
(Luke 12:48)

carlyb February 6, 2009, 4:14 PM

Who ever said that drinking and drugs, partying and promiscuity are rights of passage? Not everyone DOES, not everyone wants to, however, increasingly the pressure is put on our kids to participate in these kinds of behaviors. Is it not HIGH enough to have all those gold medals and the respect of the world, not to mention the lucrative endorsement contracts? He is not a kid, he is a man and needs to behave as one. I applaud Kellogg’s…pass the milk please.

Raymond February 6, 2009, 4:30 PM

“You’re gettiing a DELL, DUDE!” Remember that kid? He bit the Bong bullet. Illegal is Illegal, ask Pete Rose. Weed is a beginning drug and more people continue on that highway than a few. This country is more addicted to drugs than most people think. My grand daughter is brain dead from Mushrooms, and my sister was slipped a date rape drug. Come on, he deserves what he gets.

mich55 February 6, 2009, 5:50 PM

He should have been more discreet. That is it. I would like to ask the board at Kellogg where thier grandkids at Dartmouth were last weekend? Maybe more people should be jerks like whomever took the photo of Phelps and release things like this to the public….would you reinstate Phelp’s endorsements then??

erin February 7, 2009, 12:50 AM

Kellogg’s dumps him for smoking pot, however we elect 1 president who claims he didn’t inhale, and 2 who admit to using cocaine! And as for professional athletes, don’t even get me started! Kellogg’s is ridiculous to get rid of him and I plan on boycotting their products.

Suzanne Eller February 9, 2009, 9:26 AM

I love the fact that we are debating whether it’s foolish, or if we are too hard on him, or whether everybody has done it… Natural consequences — losing a huge endorsement, a three-month suspension, a plethora of negative media where only positive media once reigned for him and his family — those are the true indicators of whether this was a smart move or not. Our opinion really doesn’t count here. It cost him a lot, and that’s regrettable, but hopefully also a learning experience for this gifted young man.

My thoughts February 11, 2009, 12:56 PM

I feel that it is good that he is getting reprimanded for doing it. whether it was the first time he smoked pot or the third time when he got caught, somebody needs to tell him that it needs to stop. He may not realize it now but he will be thankful later for this punishment is going to save his life (not becoming a drug addict) and put him back on track to be a better sportsman and a role model for our kids. Yes, I agree we all make mistakes and we should own up to our mistakes and as he said in his apology that he is ready for the consequences. I have in my own life gotten punished for the mistakes I made and so do all of us and it teaches us to be better person and learn from our mistakes. Can you imagine Michael dependent on drugs before the next Olympics. That would be a shame.