Twins Are the Latest Hot Fashion Accessory

Twins are reportedly the latest must-have accessory in NY, and more and more women are going through IVF to up their chances of having multiples. Is this okay?

Mother with twin babies

Moms, what do you think about this?

Page Six magazine says that twins are the latest must-have accessory in New York.

Twin rates in the U.S. have rocketed 70% since 1980. According to the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology, 47% of patients under 35 who had IVF at the NYU School of Medicine in 2006 were successful, and of those pregnancies, 33% resulted in twins.

But they say the multiples explosion isn't just a result of an uptick of in vitro fertilization -- it's also a symptom of New York do-it-all power mommies looking to multitask and keep up with the Joneses (or, at least, Brangelina).

Here are the reasons they say twins are so trendy at the moment:

You only have to lose the baby weight once.
You don't have to go through another yo-yo weight gain and loss when you can meet your desired family quota with just one pregnancy. "I have my body back," says a Gramercy Park mom with 3-year-old twin girls (who asked to remain anonymous to protect her family's privacy). "And while my friends are bracing themselves for baby number two and all the sleep deprivation and chaos that comes with it, we are planning a family trip to Hawaii."

Multiples are a status symbol.
Just look at Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Lopez, and Marcia Cross. "There is an inordinate number of moms in Manhattan who view their children as an accessory and I can see how maybe having two at once might seem more indulgent to them," says Brinton Taylor Parson of IvyWise Kids, an organization that preps children for school admissions. "There are some people who believe children are to be had like other materials you acquire, like a house or a husband."

Twins prove you're wealthy.
At a time when every market, from real estate to stocks, is plummeting, growing a larger family (especially through IVF, which can cost upwards of $25,000) is a conspicuous sign of wealth: a need for a classic eight instead of a classic six, two baby nurses, double the tuition at Dalton, twice as many Bonpoint dresses to buy.

Twins are "two for the price of one."
Jennifer Gilbert, 40, founder of event company Save the Date, admits she did IVF hoping for twins. "I wanted three kids," says the Tribeca mom, whose daughter Blaise, 4, was conceived via IVF. "My husband wanted two. So when we used IVF to try for a second child, I was thrilled when I found out we were pregnant with twins. It's two for the price of one."

You get lots of attention.
"For people who like attention, twins are great," says Risa. "If I am ever depressed, I put my boys in the stroller and take a walk down the street and people just go nuts."

You can make money off twins if they're identical.
The fact that Risa's twins are identical has been lucrative: Her sons were recently cast on the soap opera Guiding Light. "Because of the labor laws, children can only work a certain number of hours, so identical twins are in such high demand," she says.

You're invited into the twins moms club.
Risa adds that the social capital is great, too--she's been accepted into an "exclusive society of twin moms who only want to hang out with other twin moms. It can feel elitist. But they get it in a way that someone with one kid will never understand."

What do you think about this new "trend"?

next: I Want My Kid to Be on 'American Idol'
Lisa February 4, 2009, 3:30 PM

Sure, go ahead and have twins, New York moms….it’s not like you’re going to put the work in yourself….leave that for the nanny.

michelle February 4, 2009, 4:38 PM

as a mom of twins I can tell you that it is NOT two for the price of one. first of all, the NICU - where many newborn twins will go - is incredibly expensive. You will pay more for your prenatal care because you have more appointments, more doctors, and longer ultrasounds. After they are born you pay for twice the diapers, clothes, food, carseats, etc. Two for the price of one ends at invitro.

Anonymous February 4, 2009, 7:37 PM

Wow! I agree with Michelle. I have twins. There are lots of risks associated with multiple births. Most twins come early and end up in NICU. Identical twins (which IVF will not increase this chance since it is spontaneous) have a lot of things that can go wrong..including twin to twin transfusion. In any twin scenerio, there is the risk that one twin will get everything leaving another twin without the things it needs to survive..thus causing an early delivery in hopes of saving the twin. The list goes on and on. And like Lisa says these moms aren’t raising their babies on their own. Twins are twice the work. I think it is horrible to label HUMAN BEINGS as a fashion accessory. I hope this “trend” passes quickly for the babies sake.

Hip Mom? February 5, 2009, 3:28 PM

Wow!! I am hip? My kids will love to hear that one!!! Losing baby weight is easier? You drop 70 lbs like Mariah drops men. Status symbol? In whose eyes? The IRS? Wealthy? LMAO now!! We haven’t been so broke (but much happier). Try living in the real world J LO. I don’t have cooks, nannies, maids, ect. There is just the 4 of us. Two for the price of 1? Try buying clothes at the SAME time every 4 months because of identical growth spurts. Who are these women that participated in this article? Superwomen herslef? WHATEVER!!

Jen February 6, 2009, 2:03 AM

Wow! Having twins is a blessing but never in my wildest dreams would I have chosen to have twins! I can relate with the other twin mom commenters. Twice weekly dr appts, growing out of my XXL maternity tops, NICU, double the diapers, and football hold breastfeeding is NOT as glamorous as they make it sound…

Jena February 6, 2009, 3:35 PM

Just seeing the words “give birth to” along with “trendy” and “status symbol” makes me kinda sick.

matt h February 7, 2009, 10:38 PM

Agree with other commenters here - this is poppycock. You’ll see a lot of twins in NYC, but only ‘cause of how late many people wait to start families in this town and the resultant resortment to IVF. It’s blowback; a trend,but not intentional

Kathleen February 14, 2009, 9:59 PM

I’m not a mom, but my sister has identical twins. She was fortunate to not have them in NICU; but she did need to go on disability when she was 3 - 4 months pregnant to ensure reasonably healthy babies. Her boss never forgot or forgave her for it too.
They are now 21, but I remember trying to babysit them when they were little. One day I was covered in baby food because they were crawling and we didn’t have high chairs yet. — Eventually there were four chairs — two at her house and two at granma’s house.
They were an unplanned joy in our family. But I agree with everyone else so far. They are so much work.
It is disgusting to me the reasons why so many try to do this deliberately. Everything mentioned was extremely selfish in nature and had nothing to do with the joys and blessings of watching two seemingly identical people turn out to be such profoundly different human beings.

k February 19, 2009, 11:05 PM

Twins run in my family but geez no one would consider them a fashion accessory. I guess my grandma(who is a twin) is a fashion accessory-lol too funny

barbara April 6, 2009, 5:03 PM

To the NYC Moms that wanted twins after having previous child -
you must have a good deal of money to live in this town with three kids.
Come from money honey? Or does hubbie just support the high wire lifestyle.
I could bet you dont make the coffee or change the diapers.
Got Nanny or nannies??
Well maybe this new wall street economy will even things out for a change