Octuplets -- I Am Your Father!

He dated Nadya Suleman for three years.

octuplet possible dad denis beaudoin

Denis Beaudoin, the man who says he could be the biological father of Nadya Suleman's octuplets, said he donated his sperm to her three times without asking questions because he was young and in love.

Beaudoin said he thought it was "out of the ordinary" when she asked him to donate. "But I cared about her so much. And I mean, we were, we were in love. I mean, I loved Nadya very much," he told Chris Cuomo in an exclusive interview with "Good Morning America."

Beaudoin said he and Suleman had a "serious" three-year relationship from 1997 to 1999 when he was in his early 20s.

Though he and Suleman never talked about marriage, Beaudoin said when he donated the sperm he thought it would be part of "starting a family" together at some point.

He called Nadya "a really great girl" and thought she would make a good mother. His friends nicknamed her "Giggles" for her laugh.

"She really had a really infectious laugh. You know, just her laugh would, it would make you crack up. It's kind of like she had a real high-pitch, squeaky cartoon voice. And, you know, she was a lot of fun to be around. Just her whole bubbly outward personality was really, really cool," Beaudoin said.

But now Beaudoin said he sees a very different woman, both in appearance and demeanor, than the one he knew.

"She looks different, sounds different. You know, it's just not the Nadya I remember," he said.

Nor did Suleman express a desire to have a lot of children, he said.

"You know, I could say this is something that's all new. The Nadya that I knew, it never, it never came up to have such a huge family. It was just an urge to have a child because she was not able to," Beaudoin said.

Beaudoin said that at the time she first approached him about donating sperm, Suleman told him that she had ovarian cancer and was unable to conceive without the help of a doctor.

Beaudoin said they had an amicable parting, but said he never heard anything more about Suleman undergoing in vitro fertilization or trying to become pregnant.

Beaudoin said he was "shocked [and] surprised" when he first learned that Suleman had delivered octuplets on Jan. 23.

Suleman and her parents have not publicly named the sperm donor. Earlier this month, Suleman told NBC's "Today" that a single doctor helped her conceive all 14 children. Suleman has denied that Beaudoin is the father, but he said his multiple sperm donations are cause for a paternity test.

Beaudoin said her word isn't good enough.

"It just seems like a lot of her statements that she's made have been really inaccurate," he said.

"I can't take everything she says for granted. I mean when she initially told me the whole reason why, for donating sperm in the first place, you know was to get pregnant because she was not going to be able to have kids. And it, you know, has turned into this."

Beaudoin said he wants a DNA test just to know the truth. Regardless of the children's paternity, Beaudoin said he is willing to help the single mother of 14 raise the children because he does not believe she can handle it on her own.

"Either which way, you know, know that if she needs it I'll lend a helping hand," he said. "She needs help. I mean it's hard. It's hard nowadays to raise two kids, let alone 14."

Beaudoin said he is coming forward now because he knew his name would eventually surface as the potential father and, considering the negative publicity surrounding Suleman, he wanted to tell his story first.

Beaudoin said he tried to reach out to Suleman but she never returned his calls. Now a business owner with a wife and two sons, Beaudoin said the entire ordeal has been very hard on his family.

"You know my wife, she's not real happy about, you know, the whole situation. I mean, you can't really blame her. I mean I kind of threw this in her lap after, you know, it kind of hit the news," he said.

Though he said they dated for three years, Beaudoin now believes Suleman was married at the time.

ABC News has learned through San Bernardino Superior Court Records that Suleman, 33, divorced her husband, Marcos Gutierrez, in January 2008.

The divorce document indicates "no children of the marriage," suggesting that Gutierrez was not the father of Suleman's previous six children.

When asked if Suleman, who lives with her parents and collects food stamps, could handle raising another eight children, the possible biological father said, "No."

Property records show Suleman's mother, Angela, owns the home the family lives in and is $23,225 behind in her mortgage payments. The house could be sold at auction beginning May 5.

A California-based nonprofit called Angels in Waiting has offered Suleman round-the-clock care and a place to stay with her 14 children. It would cost about $135,000 a month to provide the 12 caretakers necessary for the children, money that would have to come from public donations.

next: FBI, Police Rescue Child Prostitutes Around U.S.
august-mama February 23, 2009, 11:38 AM

I was so distracted by all the “you know, you know, you know” I couldnt finish the article.

Adrienne February 23, 2009, 12:25 PM

I hope the kids are removed from her care and put up for adoption. They deserve a better life.

Flabbergasted Anon February 23, 2009, 12:30 PM

So right August -mama. “And, you know, you know, I thought donating sperm to a cartoon voiced woman, who claimed to have Ovarian Cancer, who was probably already married was, you know, such an in love thing to do.” Uh, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clem  February 23, 2009, 12:37 PM

Maybe it’s just me but don’t most young-and-in-love men and women have sex and not sperm donations? (I don’t know, maybe I’m just too romantic…)

All I can say is that it’s bad enough that these poor children are subjected to such a strange mother without this weirdo appearing out of the blue.

Someone needs to take these poor children away from this circus - and run….Just as far away from them as possible and let some normal people, people who care about children and not the media coverage, adopt these poor children.

This is just so sad it’s beyond belief.

Jennifer A February 23, 2009, 1:18 PM

Seriously? I think they need to get DNA samples of this guy, Nadya and all 14 kids. If he’s the father of any of the kids, have the state sue for child support and stop allowing her to get handouts.
If I asked any of my exs to be a donor, they would have me committed.

anony  February 23, 2009, 1:32 PM

This guy is married with children and he says that “Regardless of the children’s paternity, Beaudoin said he is willing to help the single mother of 14 raise the children because he does not believe she can handle it on her own.” What exactly does that mean? I can see offering help if he is the father but even if he’s not the father he’s offering help??? What kind of help? babysitting, financial, emotional??? No wonder his wife is upset! I would like to hear from her ex-husband. If they divorce in 2008 then he was a father to her first 6 children. It may not have been his sperm but he was surely the only father those kids know. So what’s his part in all of this? Was he aware of the invitro? Were they still living together when her other children were born? Did he encourage all this and then walk away when it all became too much to handle???

Gigohead  February 23, 2009, 2:02 PM

Does it really take 12 people to help with 14 kids? I think that agency is pulling the wool over people’s eyes. Give me a break. I feel about 3 people plus the mother and the grandparents should be enough. No taxpayer should be paying 100k a month! outrageous.

Fred L. Crutchfield February 23, 2009, 3:12 PM

Since when did we become a communist country? I guess I missed the admendment that stated we (THE AMERICAN PEOPLE) had the right just to go in and take a mother’s children away just because she is poor (God forbid), because millions of other children would be separated today. If we were so concerned, maybe the children that have gone missing and usually turn up dead may still be alive today. Why weren’t we giving them as much attention as these innocent children are receiving today. So far I haven’t heard of any abuse or starvation yet. If this were the case, I would not know my siblings today. There were 12 of us and we were poor as dirt but happy! We entertained ourselves and are more independent people for it. What is this “one on one” attention from your parent rule that some whacky psychologist has come up with. We as grown-ups today have more innovation than these computer zombies and drug users that are incapable of an educated thought or a way to amuse themselves without their parents buying them something or thinking for them. So if you are really thinking about “them”, just make sure they have a good pot of beans and bread, clothes to go to school, take them to church, and keep lots of old pots and pans for them to beat and knock around, and most important of all teach them how to play with each other, especially “hide-and-seek”!!!

OhmaKate February 23, 2009, 5:52 PM

The woman is nuts. Those unfortunate children! They all need to be put up for adoption. Maybe the ex-boyfriend sperm donor could get custody of His children.

mercaties February 23, 2009, 8:18 PM

Dear god, this guy needs to shut up. I’m not a lawyer but child support on fourteen kids is probably a-lot. JUST JOKING!!

Chrissy February 23, 2009, 9:26 PM

If the guy’s story is true - then Nadya is even more dishonest than anyone would have thought - lyng about ovarian cancer and screwing around on your spouse?
Personally, I don’t know whose crazier Nadya Suleman or Fred L. Crutchfield.
Seriously, was your dad around? Were all twelve of you born within seven years? How many of you were premature? Or disabled? And needed chronic care? Didn’t the older ones help with the younger ones? Did your mother spend much needed money on surgeries for herself instead of the kids? Were your parents unemployed and homeless? Living off of your grandparents who are going thru foreclosure a second time because their daughter is spending money on nails and cosmetic surgeries and not contributing a dime to the hosuehold? I suspect the only thing your family had in common with Nadya’s is a large number of children. Ms Suleman clearly is not capable of caring for her children - both her parents have said so.

Ninismami February 24, 2009, 12:43 AM

I believe what this woman did was COMPLETELY irresponsible. Has anyone checked her mental health state? Because to me it seems like she’s obsessed with the whole pregnancy thing. I had a family member who acted the same way and ended up with 6 children finally the doctors told her thats enough and had her mental health checked out and yes she had an obsession with being pregnant and having children.Even though I totally disagree with what this woman did and it actually makes me sick,I do believe they should give her two options 1 being get her own place for her and the children and get a job or 2 give the children up for adoption. She chose to have these 14 beautiful miracles from god and now she should have to take care of them! Now about denis I somewhat believe he may still have feelings for her or he’s hoping these babies are his.Or I could be reading him wrong and he’s just a really nice guy that wants to help a person out that at one time in his life meant alot to him.Either way it goes this family and babies need alot of prayers.SO BEST WISHES,LOTS OF PRAYERS BECAUSE ALL 14 OF THOSE CHILDREN WERE MEANT TO BE ON THIS EARTH NO MATTER IF WE DISAGREE HOW THEY GOT HERE!

single mom in ohio February 24, 2009, 2:18 PM

This mother is selfish. To already have 6 children and then decide to have more fully aware of her financial and moral obligations is sickening

Pam February 24, 2009, 2:33 PM

PLEASE - Nadya has reactivated her site looking for money from us. I would very much like to help those poor children, but refuse to send money that Nadya can get her hands on. If you agree, please encourage Nadya to take the Angels in Waiting offer. They will take care of her and her entire family providing round the clock nursing care for all of the children. They do this by accepting donations and the donations will go toward the care of Nadya’s children - not in Nadya’s pocket. I fear that the money donated on her site will not be used as intended. Please, again, if you agree, get the word out there to encourage her to make the sensible choice (for once in this mess of a situation) and accept the Angels offer. Thank you.

Pam February 24, 2009, 2:41 PM

Gigo head, If it takes 12 - so be it. I have never cared for more than one baby at a time. But, these are underweight premature babies that need care beyond my knowledge. At least they will have professional, care from educated and sane individuals. No taxpayer will be paying $100k per month. Don’t get your point here.

Taxpayer February 25, 2009, 10:46 AM

Seems to me that this guy wants a piece of the cake. The moment the news came out that she has already raised some money, he came forward saying that he might be the father. Where was he when the other 6 kids were born? Everything looks like a big play.

Seriously? February 27, 2009, 5:35 PM

It amazes me that so many people are so judgemental. I understand that everyone has a right to their opinion but some of you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. Stating that these babies should be torn from their mother because YOU don’t agree, is an outrage. This woman is going trough her own hell right now and all you can do is sit there in your glass bubble and pass such harsh judgement. Maybe she did not make the best decision, but you have to understand her goal was ONE more child, not eight. Those of you who believe tearing this family apart is the right answer, just goes to show how much this country has NOT united. Get a grip and worry about your own family and decisions and possibly find some kind of compassion for these babies and their mother and siblings. We should be coming together to help this woman for the sake of the children. Not finding some way to systematically tear their family apart.