Mandatory Pre-Abortion Ultrasounds?

The ultrasound issue is the top priority this session for anti-abortion groups, and supporting it is a way for politicians to prove their conservative credentials.

Ultrasound Monitor

A bill requiring women seeking an abortion to first get an ultrasound got a big push Tuesday from three top Texas Republicans.

Gov. Rick Perry touted the proposal at an anti-abortion rally at the state's Capitol. Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst -- who had just spoken at a news conference featuring a live ultrasound -- also spoke at the rally. So did Attorney General Greg Abbott, who said that if the bill becomes law and is challenged, he would "aggressively defend" its constitutionality. All three are expected to run for office in 2010.

The bill would require doctors to show an ultrasound image to women seeking abortions, make the fetal heartbeat audible and talk about the picture and sound. The women would not be required to look at the image.

Opponents say the proposal interferes with the doctor-patient relationship and shames women who are already in a difficult situation.

But Texas officials are all for it. "It gives an opportunity to a woman ... to listen to the sonogram, hear the heartbeat and perhaps change her mind, because once a procedure is done ... there's no going back," Dewhurst said at the news conference.

Dr. Scott Spear, medical director for Planned Parenthood in Austin, said that it is already their procedure that all women who have an abortion at their facility get an ultrasound and are offered the chance to see the image.

"This legislation is getting involved in the examining room and prescribing what I need to say -- things that aren't necessarily in the patient's best interest," Spear said.

The Texas Medical Association opposes the bill, in part because it interferes with the doctor-patient relationship, said Dr. Albert Gros, chairman of the association's council on legislation.

What do you think?

next: Dentist Says Groping was Part of Treatment
M.A.P May 20, 2009, 2:56 AM

Issues like this will never, ever be resolved. There will always be a battle between people who all think they are right. That’s because this is all based solely on one’s opinion in the matter, and no one is ever truly right. Just let people have their own opinion and make their own decisions for their own life and don’t try to force your opinions on them.

beverly May 21, 2009, 12:15 AM

Having had 3 abortions in my early twenties- finally someone has heard my thoughts and prayers. Even though i know woman in this situation are an emotional wreck, i can tell you that the post abortion issues one faces are long lasting. having all the facts going into a choice like abortion which is final, is a good thing. The aftermath of abortion can only be told by those who have went through one. Having an ultra sound does make you really consider your actions and makes you realize that you are killing a life. The heart you hear beating will STOP. Not like the secular counselors who want you to believe it is just a bunch of blood cells grouping together. i heard the lies told in abortion clinics. At least with an ultra sound you get to hear the truth. you are going to be a mother —one of the most beautiful experiences on earth.And though difficult times may be around the corner. God can pull you through.

Tiana May 29, 2009, 12:23 PM

I’ve pretty much given up the whole pro-life/pro choice thing. I have my personal beliefs and they will apply to me and me alone. I can’t make someone live up to my expectations. I will solicit my opinion when warranted. However, I do want to say this: being pro-life does not make me this bible pushing christian extremist. In fact I am not religious and not really sure if I’m into the whole God thing. I strongly stick to my opinion that a life is a life and it starts at conception. No matter how much science you throw at me, I will never change that opinion. But what I won’t do argue that in front of abortion clinics with picket signs, because people will always do what they want. Reproductive rights is a sticky topic and I honestly don’t think we’ll ever find a resolution any time soon. When we do, it’s not going to be pretty. I do believe that its our differences that make the world go ‘round. I’m pro-life and I’m not ashamed of it!

Ytdqbduz June 24, 2009, 2:25 AM

l5PrWB comment1 ,

Amy June 29, 2009, 7:32 AM

I think that this is a wonderful idea. Women need to think long and hard about who’s “choice” this actually is…abortion kills babies, plain and simple. Why not make the mother fully understand and hear that baby’s heartbeat prior to killing it? Does it make the situation more real? It should. God bless all of the babies who have been killed. God bless all of the mothers who made the wrong “choice” and are living with the consequences.

Nichelle August 17, 2009, 2:44 PM

I think a women should have to see the child she is about to murder!!! if she does want to see it then she knows its a child and what shes doing is wrong!!!

nikki February 17, 2010, 10:05 PM

lets face it abortion has been around for a long time. even before medical knowledge made it safe for women. this is in fact a very personal issue and the decision is absolutly up to the expectant mother. i dont agree with abortion as aform of birthcontrol but rather it be saved for those times where it would be in the best interest of the mother. alot of young girls get pregnant and dont want to face the music, this should not be just their decision. they need guidence from a friend , family member, or someone they truely trust. and then make a decision based on whats best for both. whatever that outcome may be.

Blackjack January 1, 2011, 6:24 AM

Thank you very much for your help, this site has been a great rest from the books,

Penelope Frelow January 3, 2011, 6:45 AM

Thanks for the intriguing read! Happy New Year and keep up the great work in 2011!

Alfredo Homola January 3, 2011, 12:43 PM

Thank you for the intriguing read! Happy New Year and keep up the great work in 2011!