Michelle Obama's First Portrait Revealed

michelle_obama270.jpg

Us Magazine: Michelle Obama's first official portrait as first lady was released by the White House Friday.

She appears in a Michael Kors black shift dress and pearls in the photo, taken in the famed home's "Blue Room" by White House photographer Joyce N. Boghosian.

Obama is also featured on the March cover of Vogue.

She's the second first lady -- after Hillary Clinton -- to appear on the front of the magazine.

In the interview with Andre Leon Talley, she opens up about helping Sasha, 7, and Malia, 10, adjust to life in Washington, D.C.

"I'm going to try to take them to school every morning -- as much as I can," she says. "But there's also a measure of independence. And obviously there will be times I won't be able to drop them off at all. I like to be a presence in my kids' school. I want to know the teacher; I want to know the other parents."

next: Italian Police: U.S. Student Did Cartwheels After Roommates Murder
southside girl February 28, 2009, 5:18 PM

You look so classy and gorgeous. I’m so proud of you and I’m proud to be a southside girl from Chicago.

Sandee February 28, 2009, 9:24 PM

In my opinion, this portrait is an inappropriate First Lady Official Portrait because of the sleeveless dress. Inspite of the dress, she looks
great.

stephanie March 1, 2009, 12:16 AM

Just because she’s the first First Lady to wear a sleeveless dress in her official portrait, it doesnt make it “inappropriate”. Michelle Obama is stunningly beautiful, and she obviously doesnt need to “follow the crowd”. If she wants to wear a sleeveless dress, I say, “you go, girl”…

Rachel March 1, 2009, 6:02 AM

While it might not be something I, as a religious woman, might wear, it is certainly appropriate to the society in which she lives for her to wear it! Obama was elected because of who he (and by extension his family) are- changing that once they are in office would be silly.

While it may not be something I would wear, I think she looks lovely in it and that it is appropriate for her in her position.

Tina March 1, 2009, 9:47 AM

I think this is a great photo, and Mrs Obama is very fit. But I do feel that this was a poor choice of attire, if this is pic is to be used as any type of official media.
IMHO, Tina

Anita March 1, 2009, 2:51 PM

WOW! Michelle Obama’s choice of this black dress is gorgeous. You can’t go wrong wearing classic black. She is a beautiful woman and she has a great timeless sense of style. I think this dress is the most appropriate for the official White House Portrait! Yeah I said it! As a Matter of fact it is simple and elegant with a nice touch of string pearls. I thought it was an Ann Taylor dress because it is similar to one that I have. You Go First Lady Michelle!

Minda DelCarmen March 2, 2009, 6:50 AM

This official portrait Michelle Obama in black in black is so much like Madam X. Was this the intention?

This is better outfit than the one she wore during the joint meeting of congress.

Michelle must have confused the schedule. She must have thought she was hosting a social hour with the spouses of the congressmen and senators instead of going to a “business event.”