Mom Presses Charges Against Teen Son

Left with a smashed up car, a mother is now trying to straighten out her son.

teenage driver in handcuffs

A local teen is charged with a DUI after a crash. Now, he faces more charges thanks to his mother. The teen's mother decided to do something police say few parents are willing to do: press charges against her own son after he stole her car.

"It's very tough raising a teenager. He's never taken anything from me like that," she told a local television station.

Early in the morning, an officer saw the vehicle driving recklessly. When the driver saw the officer, he didn't stop and took off eventually crashing into an apartment dumpster.

Now, she's pressing charges in addition to driving under the influence and driving without a license, she wants him charged with stealing the car.

"He needs to know that there needs to be a stop to it and if I don't go this way he could hurt someone or hurt himself and I don't want that to happen," she explains.

One of six children, there is no sympathy from siblings while he sits in juvenile hall for the weekend while the seriousness of his actions sets in.

The mother told CBS13 that her son is a typical 16-year-old who is starting to do more with his friends and tell her less. But, this mother believes that choices come with consequences.

"It was tough for me to make this decision," she said.

With these specific charges, the 16-year-old could be facing fines and community service. It could also be a long time before he's able to get his drivers license.

Would you leave your son in jail over the weekend? Would you press charges against your own son? Sound off in the Momlogic community.

next: Wine 101: Inexpensive and Delish!
Anonymous February 2, 2009, 2:04 PM

Anonymous February 2, 2009, 2:37 PM

Fantastic! I’m sure it wasn’t easy for the mother to decide to press charges, but hopefully it will be a defining moment in her son’s life.

sherisaid February 2, 2009, 2:38 PM

Here in lovely Seminole County, FL, land of severe juvenile injustice, they are likely to charge him as an adult and potentially put him in prison. I could not pull that trigger on my son. But I could damn sure leave him in juvy for the weekend. or the month.

Felicia - I Complete Me February 2, 2009, 2:41 PM

My mom has left my brother in jail after he had done something wrong. As painful as it would be I probably would think about doing the same thing. As far as pressing charges, I’m not sure about that, but since he does not have to do jail time, maybe I would. I would have to do a bit more research and thinking. I wouldn’t want the charges to be a cloud over his future.

Rachel M. February 2, 2009, 2:41 PM

My kid will grow up knowing that if she gets busted for a DUI she will be sitting in jail for a while.

Anonymous February 2, 2009, 2:42 PM

I wish more parents were like this because one day that apartment dumpster might be a person. If you don’t teach them that life has consequences when their young when will they ever learn.

Cristina Mathers February 2, 2009, 2:42 PM

not sure. i think that i would let him sit in jail for the weekend, but not sure about pressing charges.

Ndinman February 2, 2009, 2:49 PM

While my two boys are only 8 and 6, I would like to think that in a situation such as this, I would encouraged to do what is right. If that means enforcing the consequences of our children’s bad choices, then so be it.

All to often parents make the choice to befriend their children and soften their fall. Who is that helping? What is it teaching your child if you jump and rescue them everytime they disobey? I can assure you the child isn’t learning responsibility and accountability. I hear a lot of parents jump and judge other families, “Well, if little Johnny were my child, he wouldn’t act like that and I would do such and such…” And then that little Johnny they were judging and talking about, becomes their own child. When it finds itself in trouble the parent rescues them from hurt, pain and discomfort by bailing them out of trouble. The entire time they are priding themselves for saving their child and being naïve to believe their child wouldn’t do the same thing again. WHY wouldn’t he repeat the same behavior?!!

Our jobs as parents is just that parents NOT friends!! If they aren’t modeled responsible, mature behavior, then the children will not grow into mature, responsible, accountable adults.

Ndinman February 2, 2009, 2:50 PM

Ndinman February 2, 2009, 2:57 PM

rugbymom February 2, 2009, 4:31 PM

I do not fault her at all for this. I don’t think i would have added charges, but he would have certainly served time or paid for what he did. A child has to understand there are consequences for their actions!

Jenny A February 2, 2009, 4:44 PM

I would have done the same thing. My cousin was killed when the car he was in crashed into a bridge. The driver was drunk, and she was spoiled! Her daddy was the D.A. and he set no rules for her. Two boys, 15 and 17 lost their lives in that crash. If the girl’s father had set some boundries for her, and taught her that there on serious consequences for her actions, perhaps those two boys would still be alive. My kids are only 4 and 7, but they had better learn fast that I don’t tolerate much, and these kinds of tough decisions are something I intend to follow through with.

Wendi February 2, 2009, 7:21 PM

I think this mom did a great job, and someday her son will see that. I hope that more people will do the same. We would have a better world if we had stricter parents like this.

K&C's mom February 2, 2009, 11:29 PM

I used to take care of brain injured adults, about 90% of them from DUI crashes. I would definately let my son sit in jail over the weekend, and press more charges. I have 0 tolerance for this!!!!

ashley February 3, 2009, 8:24 AM

I would absolutely let him sit in jail. But, I wouldn’t press charges because that could go on his permanent record and any job or anything he applies for may get rejected because of that. My husband used to get in trouble alot and his mom always bailed him out quickly. I always told here if she would let him sit there for a week maybe he wouldn’t keep gettin in trouble. She didn’t listen though. Thank goodness he has finally straightened up though.

Anon February 3, 2009, 6:09 PM

The mother did the right thing and I applaude her! I pray we all hold our children accountable for their actions. That’s the harsh reality of life.

m February 4, 2009, 10:45 AM

good for her

Becca February 5, 2009, 6:27 PM

My mom had my sister arrested when she was 15 for stealing her car and just going around the block in it and parking. She spent two weeks at some type of juvenile facility about an hour from our house. I wouldn’t say she was an angel after that, but it definitely let her know that mom wasn’t going to take her crap anymore.

hoolio February 10, 2009, 4:54 AM

4cEH9w hi! hooli?

Kelli February 12, 2009, 4:59 PM

I think she did an awesome job. I have a 2 year old and I’m teaching him already that I don’t take no crap from him and nobody else. It starts with little things when they are young like making him pick up the food he drops or patting the dog gently after he hits him. I like this mom! Every parent should be like that (when the behavior justifies it of course).