Cops: Mom Killed Diabetic Daughter with Candy

She gave her sweets despite her condition, and now faces life in prison.

Georgia Lee Jones and Chasity Butler

The mother of a 9-year-old diabetic who died as she lay beside a bag of candy and other sweets has been accused of helping cause her death by failing to help the girl manage the disease and giving her high-glucose foods.

Georgia Lee Jones, 27, was arrested Monday after a long investigation. The mother of five faces a felony charge of injury to a child and faces up to life in prison if convicted in the May 2 death of Chasity Butler.

"Chasity's diabetes was not monitored properly causing her to be constantly sick and in bed rather than leading a normal life like other children her age," police documents say.

The death was ruled natural due to diabetic complications by the Dallas County medical examiner, but according to police and state Child Protective Services reports, Jones had failed to properly treat or monitor the disease.

(In December, we told you about another mom who was charged for her diabetic daughter's death for the same reason.)

Police said CPS investigations showed Chasity often had to take readings of her blood glucose levels herself and give herself insulin injections or get help from a younger sister. The investigators said Jones did not adhere to diet rules, often feeding Chasity foods high in glucose like noodles and sweets.

Momlogic pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson says, "Type I diabetes is a chronic and serious illness requiring regular monitoring of the blood glucose levels. Keeping sugar (like those found in sweets and carbohydrates) intake low is not just helpful, it is part of the treatment."

Police say that the day before the girl died, she had stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting. Then she did not eat that night or the next morning. Authorities say her mother checked her glucose level and found it dangerously high, but still fed her noodles and let her eat cupcakes and candy.

CPS placed Chasity's four younger sisters, ages 2 to 8, with Butler's mother, who with her husband was given permanent custody in December.

Do you think this mom deserves to be charged for her daughter's death?

next: Christian Bale Apologizes: "I Acted Like a Punk"
Chrissy February 8, 2009, 9:18 PM

Thank you Vicky for providing us with first hand knowledge so that we make opinion on this situation.
I would also point that the child died on May 2nd and the mother is charged now after a “long investigation”. I don’t think anyone jumped the gun or rushed to charge this woman.

Lisa February 8, 2009, 9:51 PM

I grew up with a diabetic brother. He was diagnosed over 20 years ago. When he was hospitalized (way back then), he was not allowed to leave until he was educated about controlling his disease. My parents were extremely versed, and I, at 9, was fully aware of what needed to be done.

If you are not allowed to leave the hospital until you can give yourself a shot, and receive multiple sessions from a dietician, a caring mother would have at least been given the appropriate information.

A mother is a parent. There is no excuse not to be one. If the child was known to sneak candy/cupcakes, those should be removed from the home. If the mother provides them to a diabetic child with presenting symptoms of elevated blood sugar, she should be shot. (maybe not a mortal wound, but a very very painful one!)

There may be a lot of things I do not understand about her life. I admit that. I also know I have made mistakes with my children. But I do acknowledge that my mistakes are mine and not the fault of another. There is no doctor to blame, no absent father, no one, just me. It is time for people to take responsibilty for their own actions. Rather than be locked up in jail, this woman needs to earn money so that her other two children have a chance. But that is another rant.

Sarah Berry February 9, 2009, 8:58 AM

Yes. The fact that she even checked her blood sugar and continued to give food loaded in carbs is reason enough. I can not believe that a mother could be so irresponsible when it comes to her child. I personally hope they throw the book at her.

Sprinkly February 9, 2009, 11:30 AM

I’m wondering how much economics had to do with this. If they were getting aid, then quite a lot of the foods that are “cheaper” are high-carb foods. That doesn’t excuse the mom, of course, but I don’t think we have all the facts. I’m glad the others are under the care of other family members, though.

Rebecca February 9, 2009, 3:22 PM

I think she should be charged. Looks to me like she didn’t want the responsibilty of looking after a child with a chronic disease.

Micaela February 10, 2009, 3:42 PM

Why should anyone come out to her house to educate her??? WTF? You as a parent have to educate yourself. Doctors are not mind readers. My son’s 1st pediatrician diagnosed my son’s asthma, I educated myself on it, & then when I got another pediatrician, & I ASKED A lot of questions, I now feel I am educated, & have his asthma under control. I think it is BS that we have to send someone out to her home to make sure she is aware of how to take care. I think this woman was lazy & was inconvenienced by her daughters illness, & thought it would be easier without her, & as another commenter stated get life insurance or even social security. What a joke! And yes, you should need to have a license to breed, & there should be more mandatory parent classes. I am so tired of hearing about these crazy child abuse stories-I know kids can drive you crazy, but how can some parents do what they do???? It is heartbreaking.

Peggy February 11, 2009, 1:35 PM

Absolutely agree with Vicky- my son is a Type 1 diabetic. Once diagnosed parents are not allowed to leave the hospital with their children until they attended several classes and pass a basics test. They are required to take their children to the doctor every 3 months for an A1C check and should be faxing in blood sugars at least once a week for changes and adjustments to insulin ratios. Her mother did this intentionally. It is ashame that people still think ignorance is an excuse to not do the right thing and be neglectful parents. As Kara comment about birth control…if she is receiving public/government assistance she obviously cannot afford her responsiblities…kind of like the brain surgeon who now has 14 kids by invetro that the rest of us who work for a living have to pay for…

Tonya February 12, 2009, 2:02 PM

I have three children and have managed to get them to eat healthy. this was hard since there are so many hidden sugars to avoid. Our Doctors tell us its not only what we eat but what we dont eat that can lead to Diabeties. I’ve often said to my children. Mabey you like it but it dosent like you. I cooked it and you will eat it. If we all let our kids eat what they want we would all have diabetics for kids.

Vee February 14, 2009, 1:34 PM

Yes she desires what ever sentences she gets. My God children do not ask to be born into this world. And then for her not to give the child care needed is very Sick. And the other kids are Blessed to be with their grandparnets. My God Bless them All

mercaties February 16, 2009, 3:00 AM

This story breaks my heart. I’am 27 but have been a type 1 diabetic since I was 4. In order for this little girl to have died from severly high glucose she would have been very very ill. It’s hard to describe to someone who isn’t a type 1 diabetic what a diabetic’s body goes through during ketoacidosis (extremly high blood sugar). This little girl wouldn’t have “just died” she would have been in intense pain and vommiting severly for several hours, until her kidneys and liver started shutting down. If her mother would have gotten her medical attention instead of watching her die this little girl would be okay. I can’t help but wonder why CPS wasn’t more involved though and why this little girls Doctors weren’t more observant. My school nurse would call my parents if my blood sugars were to high. This poor little girl was left alone to care for a disease that requires intense medical treatment. The sickest thing to me is that she trusted her mom, she probably thought it was okay to eat a bunch of sweets because her mom let her.

Annie April 2, 2009, 10:46 AM

I believe it- I have an ex-husband who deliberately feeds my son migraine trigger-foods right before I pick him up from a visit with him- and tries to say the child is suffering from stress-induced headaches from having to come home to me! THAT’S abuse!!!!

Crtzgulp June 29, 2009, 5:44 PM

MxqMVc comment5 ,

Forum grossesse March 5, 2011, 4:11 PM

A powerful share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little bit analysis on this. And he actually purchased me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I feel strongly about it and love studying more on this topic. If attainable, as you develop into expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with extra details? It is extremely helpful for me. Massive thumb up for this weblog post!