Last night, I discovered my daughter had brushed her teeth with SUNSCREEN. I freaked!
Momlogic's Julie: I made the mistake of purchasing some sunscreen at Big Lots the other night that came in a bottle that looked like a toothpaste tube. It had Ariel on the front. When my daughter saw it, she thought it was toothpaste and figured she must brush her teeth with it immediately. My husband and I were in the other room and did not see her do this. But a few minutes later, her brother ratted her out: "Seena brushed her teeth with sunscreen!"
I panicked. I made her wash her mouth out with water and then I called Poison Control immediately. She was shrieking and crying hysterically, and kept saying: "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"
The woman at Poison Control said that unless she ate four or five huge handfuls, she would be okay. Phew.
Momlogic pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson says: "It never ceases to amaze me when kids eat, drink, or brush with things that aren't supposed to go in their mouths. You would think the bad taste is a deterrent, but it often isn't."
"The mom did everything perfectly. Poison Control is a fantastic resource. In my practice, I often referred parents to Poison Control for quick emergency answers, and I've been known to call them myself occasionally."
Has your kid ever eaten anything like sunscreen? What did you do?