My Kid is Cuter than Your Kid

Guest blogger Georgie Hockett: Do you secretly judge other children ... and their parents?

mother and daughter well dressed in home

I take my daughter to story time at the library on Fridays. It's not too terribly early, 10:30 AM. I get dressed first thing, nothing fancy, I just grab anything ... jeans, t-shirt, cute jacket, heels. But then I get her dressed in the outfit that I laid out the night before. I wet down her hair so she doesn't have that crazy bed head she can sometimes get after a night full of spinning. On her feet: the cutest shoes; I wrestle her down and make her wear a hair clip or a pony tail.

Why do I do all this? Because when I see kids show up at the 10:30 AM story time in their jammies and crazy hair I think 'Can you not take a second and put that kid in pants?'

I admit it, I look at the kids at story time and judge them on a certain level. But I don't blame the children, they're children -- they're just as cute in jammies. But parents, come on - put them in something not tatooed with jam stains and brush that hair will you? A little effort, please.

When there's a birthday party or special dinner in my family, I put her in nicer clothes. The Elmo shirt is fine for a stay-at-home day, but I want to show her that you can be respectful of situations and people by dressing appropriately. It's not even 'dressing up,' it's just not wearing your pj's.

next: Pro-Choice? Quit Crying About Your Miscarriage
Anonymous February 5, 2009, 3:14 PM

TRASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Anonymous February 5, 2009, 5:17 PM

Whatever, to each their own. If you judge in your mind, that’s your problem. Get over it.

JW February 5, 2009, 5:25 PM

I agree… people well parents are getting lazier and lazier. Kids need to be taught that looking nice is important. I’m not talking dressed to the nines, just put on a decent outfit that is clean and pants that don’t show underwear. Dressing appropriately shows respect for the occasion, not to mention self respect.

Anonymous February 5, 2009, 6:51 PM

What is going on with the stupidity on this website? This is the 3rd idiot post I’ve read in the last 5 minutes. I’d rather be judgmental about that.

jen February 5, 2009, 8:54 PM

What a SNOB! You win the “Most Pretentious Mom of the Century” award. Mind your own business Patsy Ramsey. Life isn’t a beauty pageant or popularity contest. Please, it’s just storytime at the local library for Pete’s sake! Are you seriously going to put your name on an article that perpetuates self-esteem and image problems for young girls? I think it’s more important to teach children to be comfortable with who they are, and what they look like. Teaching them to conform to these imaginary standards of decency in society can do more harm than good in the long run. READERS - Georgie Hockett is a pretentious SNOB! dont patronize her stupid website or give her any business. This post is just an advertisement for her, I’m sorry I got sucked into reading and responding to it as I will never again get the last 5 minutes of my life back. Move on and don’t give this trash anymore of yout attention.

Georgie Hockett sux February 5, 2009, 9:08 PM

her website sux, it’s really tacky. i wouldn’t take her advice on anything. i hope she reads these comments, lol

Jamie February 6, 2009, 12:31 AM

Yes, I do it too. Every time. It’s important that my kid look good. It makes her happy, and I think it’s a part of being a good mom, to make sure she looks nice and presentable in public. For the record, people are nicer to her when she is dressed nice… this should be a lesson for us all. :)

retards February 6, 2009, 1:47 AM

Jamie, what lesson would that be????? That it’s okay to treat people like dirt if they don’t look good. Go to hell with this loser Georgie Hockett. People should be treated the same no matter what they look like. Period!

ashley February 6, 2009, 8:41 AM

My son is only in first grade and he likes to look good and smell good for school. He likes polo shirts and he always puts on cologne and gel in his hair every morning before school. The weekends are different. He wears sweat pants or pjs unless he’s going to like a birthday party. I am glad that he cares about his appearance.

Jenny February 6, 2009, 2:24 PM

While I think that cologne on a first grader is a bit much, I also thing that sending your kids out in public looking like little homeless children is also bad. There is a happy medium. It’s not sending a bad message to teach your kids that their faces should be washed, and they should be wearing actual clothing out in public. Now, a two year old, I can see that. But once a kid gets in school, wether we as parents like it or not, they get judged by other kids by how they look. It’s our job as parents to make that judgment as minimal as possible. That means getting your kids dressed. At least not in pjs. Who cares if the author is a twit or not, she does have a point.

Jena February 6, 2009, 2:38 PM

I can only assume that the people getting so angry over this article are the ones who force their kids out in public looking like crap. You want to talk self-esteem issues? How about when your parent doesn’t care enough about you to dress you in clean clothes and brush your hair? Come on people!

plbbbbbbbbbbb February 6, 2009, 5:48 PM

i have no children and I agree that you are all a bunch of pretentious snobs! The only point this author is making is that you are a worthless human being if you don’t look good on the outside, and that we need to teach our children to think like that as early as possible. YOU ladies and YOUR children are the ones who are being judgemental, so all you dummies are just dressing up for each other.

kythwilde February 7, 2009, 1:05 PM

When I was a child, I had to be “dressed pretty” as my mother called it, and I hated every second of it until I was about 8, and then I started changing my clothes every few minutes. Now, I don’t do the whole “you gotta look pretty” thing to my kids, but they do have to have brushed hair and teeth and make sure their clothes are clean before they leave the house. Otherwise, I let em wear whatever they want. (jammies are strictly for bedtime unless they are sick and going to the hospital)

MrsEmbers February 17, 2009, 7:36 PM

I guess we fall somewhere in the middle. We had no problem taking our babies out in warm, cozy sleepers- comfort was more important at that time. Now that our older son is 3, he doesn’t wear jammies outside of the house, but he’s still comfortable- jeans, cords or nicer sporty pants and a clean shirt. If he has a little bedhead and he doesn’t want it fixed, we let it go- there are more important things to worry about.

Ju March 1, 2009, 8:00 PM

I also wonder if all the anger is from parents too lazy or busy to make sure their child doesn’t look to have been dragged straight from bed to their destination. My daughter is cleaned(if only with a wet wipe) and has her hair brushed at the LEAST before she goes to day care. She has curly hair, any parent that doesn’t get snarls out of curly hair like my daughter has is asking for trouble later in the day(it’s the soft, fine stuff that tangles if you look at it the wrong way). It’s not about being a snob, it’s about plain decency. My daughter insists on wearing clothes that aren’t jammies if she leaves the house. She’s two. It’s something she picked up on her own. You can hate and rant all you want, but children that don’t look like rag-a-muffins do tend to be treated nicer, it’s a simple fact. My daughter dresses comfy, no matter what she wears. I’m all about being comfortable, but I can’t help but wonder about a person that would go to the mall in their pj’s.

Golf Clubs September 14, 2010, 10:37 AM

In related news, Tiger Woods has a new sponsor. Durex.

Mom-of-two February 24, 2011, 7:12 PM

Yeah, I’m one of those moms who doesn’t care if there are a few food stains on her kids at toddler time. Before toddler time at the library is one of the times we wind up doing groceries. So yeah, our morning is already packed. If it’s a choice between giving the kids a snack between these activities or changing their clothes, I’ll go for what my kids NEED: snacks (& a diaper change for the baby). And I have TWO kids under 3, so no, changing clothes isn’t the short activity it might be with one child! So, judge me if you want - I don’t care either way. I figure I’m doing pretty well just getting to toddler time!