No Valentine's Day For This Dad!

Daddy Dozen: One of the best things about getting married is that you no longer have to celebrate it. Am I right, ladies?

no symbol over valentines day candy and hearts

Guest blogger Paul Starke: Okay, so my ORIGINAL post today was going to be a whimsical take on Valentine's Day. I'd "forgotten" Saturday was the 14th, you see, and on top of that, found a blank V-Day card that my wife has presumably bought for me. I hope she bought it for me... Well, let's just assume she bought it for me. Anyway, we're not a "Valentine's Day" couple; one of the best things about getting married is that you no longer have to celebrate it. Am I right, ladies? Just go with me on this one.

So, I discover my wife's card -- a zany yet romantic one featuring Ziggy. My heart melted. I knew I had to do something, and fast. I started looking around my office. Can I make anything homemade and sweet out of Post-it notes, Sharpies and Nicorette? Unlikely, but I thought I'd try, and then get a column out of my experience.

As I sat down to write, my phone rang. It was our nanny, who apparently had eaten a bad can of Dinty Moore Turkey Stew. This begs the question: are there any GOOD cans of Dinty Moore Turkey Stew? Probably not, and as a result, our nanny had become crippled with food poisoning. She tried calling my wife, but she was in a meeting. "No problem -- I'll be home in 30 minutes," I say, with a mix of confidence and delight, knowing that my heroic superdaddiness will surely buy me a weekend of video-gaming, and, most importantly, excuse my lack of Valentine's Day gift.

I left my office, hustled home, and relieved my stricken nanny. Then, not wanting to disappoint my colleagues, I packed Luke up and took him to work. Sweaty and clammy, I managed to lug him, the diaper bag and the stroller onto the subway and to my office. He's on my lap now and wants to play with the keyboard -]50-ruae-ry0j\=aerkt-=\slk ty-l y]t[rjlu][rltyj][kku=k==.

That was Luke! Isn't he a genius? So, for those of you looking for 12 mildly offensive jokes about poop and a sexless weekend, sorry. I've got to take care of my son. I hope you understand ... And I hope my wife understands how awesome I am and isn't expecting a card this year. Happy Valentine's Day!

next: Hot Mom Mess of the Week
N February 14, 2009, 1:49 AM

lol, i hope you live long enough to see sunday

Anonymous February 14, 2009, 4:13 AM

my hubby is not realy big on romantic holidays he say its just another day!but i stii love hime he will surprise me sometimes

Linney February 14, 2009, 10:25 AM

lol. same here, we buy eachother a card, but shouldn’t everyday be valentines day???

Donna February 15, 2009, 12:46 AM

Hey, Valentines Day is just another day to say I love you to that special person. We found a free night on Wed, the 10th and drove 4 hours to the beach, had a wonderful romantic tryst, got some sun and drove home the next night. It was glorious and we just smile when people ask, hey what are you doing for Valentine’s Day.

Julie February 15, 2009, 1:36 AM

Are you saying that once a person is married, they no longer have to make an effort to show their significant other that they’re loved and appreciated, even with the smallest of gestures such as a card? Because even though Valentine’s Day is basically a commercial holiday, I have to say that I’d be sad if I didn’t get so much as a card. Even though I know my fiance loves me (after all, he gave me a diamond ring and asked me to marry him), it’s still nice to get a card that says the same. And it’s not as if I don’t make the same effort towards him. Plus, it’s not really all that hard to buy a card. I’m pretty low maintenance- I don’t need flowers, candy, or fancy jewelry, just a simple card and an “I love you” is all I need from him. But once we’re married, should I expect that the cards and the acknowledgments of love will cease? Should I stop making any effort too, so then I won’t feel like I’m the only one who’s trying? Should we start taking each other for granted? I think not! Maybe “not making an effort anymore” is why couples start trying to figure out how to put the spark back into their relationships. If they didn’t let the spark go out in the first place, they wouldn’t need to get it back. If getting married means “I don’t have to try anymore because you’re mine anyway”, then it’s no wonder so many marriages end in divorce. After having dated my share of jerks, losers, and decent guys who just didn’t do it for me or who just couldn’t commit to something more serious, I know that I’ve struck gold with my fiance. I hope that I never forget how lucky I am that we even ended up meeting each other. I hope that we never stop telling each other, even in the slightest ways, how much we love each other. Just one last note, I wouldn’t have minded one bit if the card my fiance gave me was handmade out of construction paper, bought from a store, or made via a computer program. It’s just the gesture that matters to me. I think you should have made that post-it note card for your wife or printed something out from your computer. I think she would have rather received something from you instead of than nothing and an empty excuse. Because even though you had to relieve the nanny, you could have taken the baby with you to the local drugstore and bought a last-minute card, after all, you were able to bring the baby to work with you. So don’t expect the “nanny had food poisoning, sorry I didn’t get you anything” to be a free pass to anything except a cold shoulder. Try harder next year and plan ahead for Mother’s Day!

Su February 15, 2009, 5:07 AM

Funny!
I am reading a blog related to this at Billionairepal.com where I found some celebs’ profiles ovre there. Amazing!!!

emmce February 15, 2009, 6:08 PM

I don’t have a significant other in my life; as yet anyway however I think that Valentine’s Day which should be celebrated everyday is observed for folks who are too busy or may have forgetten to say ‘I love you’ to that special someone on a regular, it forces them least to say it once a year.

I hope you regularly tell your wife you love her, if not you just missed your opportunity…:)

Cassandra March 4, 2009, 10:19 PM

My7 husband is not big on going and finding Valentine’s either. Fortunately it doesn’t bother me in the least. To me we are married and we love each other every day of the year, Valentine’s day is no different.

Tmiawmxx June 30, 2009, 9:18 PM