Octuplet Mom 'Upbeat,' Not Overwhelmed

The California woman who recently gave birth to octuplets is not overwhelmed and is looking forward to telling her story, her spokeswoman said today.

octuplets_090203_mn.jpg
Nadya Suleman is a "wonderful woman," spokeswoman Joann Killeen said today on "Good Morning America." "She's smart, she's bright, she's articulate, she's well-educated and she has a wonderful sense of humor."

Suleman, 33, remains in a hospital in southern California after giving birth Jan. 26 to the octuplets. Suleman, who has six other children, is now the mother of 10 boys and four girls younger than 8. All were born by in vitro fertilization, her mother has said.

Despite what might seem like an overwhelming number of children and despite her family's apparent financial difficulties, Suleman is "upbeat" about her future, Killeen said.

"She's very joyful. Nadya is a very balanced and together woman," she said.

"She's very, very happy and joyful for the miracle of life and the babies."

Suleman has held the babies and has named them, Killeen said, though she declined to reveal the names.

Speaking from her home in California, Nadya's mother, Angela Suleman, tells usmagazine.com, "She always blamed me for only having her. She was a single child. I was a teacher and I am retired now. I always asked other students how they liked it [being an only child] and they liked it, they didn't have to share anything but she was different, she was always upset I didn't have more. But I don't think she really knew. If she had brothers and sisters I don't think she would have been happier sharing all that so it's all what's in your mind I think."

Angela says Nadya first talked about having a large family when she was just a teenager.

She explained, "She always wanted a lot of kids. I have been supportive but you know now that I am thinking back, she wanted children so much that it was almost not normal as far as I am concerned. I did go and see a psychiatrist or a psychologist once. I wanted to see what was going on with her because she has always talked about having children and always being upset that she didn't have siblings. I used to take her everywhere so she would have a lot of friends around of her own age group but I guess it didn't really help."

Nadya is only the second person in the U.S. to give birth to eight babies at once.

next: Teacher Ignites Passion for Writing
ame i. February 3, 2009, 10:27 AM

Not overwhelmed? She is still in the hospital and not having to care for any of her children right now, so of course she is not overwhelmed.
I saw the interview with her spokeswoman this morning. She did a good job of double-talking, back-tracking and generally not saying anything important. I wonder who is paying for her services.

ashley February 3, 2009, 10:29 AM

I just heard on the radio this morning that the mother is asking for $2 million from the media for the sale of her story. SURPRISE!!

chris February 3, 2009, 10:54 AM

I think ALL media outlets should ignore this women and ALL of her children! No one should pay her a penny to see these children or to talk to her about them. We already know how many kids she have, that she doesn’t have a job, that she lives with her parents, that the kids all came from the same sperm donor, etc… what else do we really NEED to know about her for the price of $2 million dollars.

Karen February 3, 2009, 10:57 AM

While I believe all babies are a blessing and no one should have to limit the number of children they choose to have based on social opinion, it’s beginning to appear as if this mother went into the situation as though she EXPECTED to profit from it from corporate sponsorship and media interest. That’s a pretty ballsy move in middle of a economic recession. Major companies are laying off employees & shutting down production left & right. If she’s “counting on” public/corporate support to provide for her children she’s taking a huge risk! I hope it works out the way she invisioned it when she realized all 8 embryos “took” and she was going to have to see this through, but I have serious concerns about that actually happening during this economic crisis. One should never have that many children with the hopes that other’s will financially contribute. Corporate sponsorship should be viewed as a bonus, not a sure thing.

ame i. February 3, 2009, 11:07 AM

Yeah, I’m sure she is looking forward to telling her (edited) story…to the highest bidder. Of course she is not overwhelmed, because she is still in the hospital and not having to care for any of her children.
It is evident that she is unable to support or care for the 6 children she already had and I believe she had the additional 8 to get attention and dollars. She is sickening.

Anonymous February 3, 2009, 11:07 AM

It’s not the clothes or the diapers that I’m worried about here. It’s the health care. It costs REAL money to have children, even just one, so it’s VERY clear to me that this woman must be using gov’t health care assistance. I’m getting sick of women who can’t conceive going on IVF then popping out 5+ babies and getting tons of attention for doing something soooooooo miraculous. You know what’s miraculous? Having children you can afford, instead of using your children as a cash cow. I’m sick to death of the “multiples” show where the parents pass on their advice on how to parent. It’s very touching that our society (and gov’t) has encouraged people to have tons of children, but there are still some of us out there who have common sense.

Marie February 3, 2009, 11:16 AM

I am a grandmother. I was one of nine back when parents had children to be babysitters for the younger ones (1930’s) and to were expected to help out with chores and around the farm. I was the oldest. So I couldn’t wait to get out of the house and get married. She has 14 children under 8. She has no idea what she is in for. Today we don’t need big families because we don’t have farms and there are laws against child labor now. Now big families cost too much money. TV makes it look glamorous with all those programs. Today we have college bills and phone bills. She won’t be able to pay for these kids on her own on any salary. She will have to rely on the kindness of strangers. That makes her selfish.

Del February 3, 2009, 11:59 AM

Why are we supporting a woman who was not truthful, has no job, no relationship, and expects society to foot her bill?

Very disappointed, the news is highlighting and giving it more than it should. In today’s economy should we be encouraging this type of behavior? Do we want to teach our children that this type of behavior is acceptable or do we want to empower our children, teach them accountability, reward and love them for making well rounded good decisions.

Anonymous February 3, 2009, 1:27 PM

what done is done its not the kids fault that they came into this word and should not have to suffer.

chris February 3, 2009, 1:30 PM

I hope she will have to pay back any money she earns from selling her kids to pay for her hospital stay, the kids hospital stay and all medical expenses that she will put the people of CA through paying for. This woman is a disgrace and not worthy of all of this attention and certainly not worthy of all the money she will make from having these kids. And for everyone out there who believes that this is a miracle and feels that we should treat it as so, all I can say is that if you want to support her and her family - go for it but right now my family is having a hard enough time and I really resent the whole notion of supporting another family who in the long run will probably end up with paid college education for her kids, a new home, a new car, diapers, clothing, food and everything else that I have to pay myself if I want my family to have it without the goverment help!

marie February 3, 2009, 1:35 PM

this woman has mental health issues. munchausen-like in that she is seeking attention with no regard/disregard for the well being of these infants.
narcisstic and dangerous…of course she already knows this but is incapable of change. sad.

Dana V February 3, 2009, 2:19 PM

“Not overwhelmed”…She’s medicated now wait till she comes home to the first six, one who is autisitc, and has all other 8 with special needs, screaming their heads off…. No husband/man, no help.
“Bright”…Yeah, having all those kids is really a “bright” decision.
She’s a Nut!

Tatum J.  February 3, 2009, 3:33 PM

It was not this womans fault that she happend to have 8 KIDS! Nobody can say that she “didn’t know it would be expensive.” You can’t choose how many kids you’re gonna have when you’re already pregnant.. you cannot keep some then get rid of some. If she’s trying to get attention, great! whatever! good for her!

If the biggest issue that most people are concerned about is that “this woman doesn’t deserve the money and attention,” then i honestly can’t imagine what the hell half of you would be like if you were in her situation.

Nobody would refuse help to care for their own children. Especially in a time of need. This was not her fault and put yourself in her position if you honestly needed help getting by. You’re going to refuse the money, products, medicine, hospitality, and all other care; forget about the wellbeing of the kids just so you don’t seem “selfish.”

That’ll work!

ame i. February 3, 2009, 4:26 PM

Let’s all agree to ignore her and not watch any interviews or programs she is involved in.
I may be mistaken, but I don’t think Oprah pays for interviews.

Rebecca February 3, 2009, 4:50 PM

Babies may be a “blessing” but they just grow into more adults. Are adults not a blessing? If you’re having trouble conceiving and need a sperm donor, you’re ignoring natures way of not selecting you to be a parent. If we fight nature, there will be consequences. What ever happened to adoption?

SesshoumarusGirl February 3, 2009, 6:06 PM

Both the mother and her “mouthpiece” are stupid. If that spokesperson actually thinks the mother is “balanced”, she needs to open her eyes.

That was the most BS interview I have ever heard. I hope CPS gets involved here, and fast!

RD February 3, 2009, 8:29 PM

I am disgusted by this women. It is HER fault for getting pregnant, but no doctor should have ever performed IVF for a low income women with 6 children and no husband. Motherhood is not a right it is a privilege. It is costing $800,000 A DAY for those 8 infants to be in the hospital. She is already on government assistance and should not receive any money for interviews or public appearances. It seems as if she had these children just to receive money. I think it is sick and CPS needs to get involved and make sure these children are being properly taken care of now and in the future.

Anonymous February 3, 2009, 8:34 PM

@- Tatum J. It *IS* her fault for having 8 babies. Do you even know what in vitro fertilization means? She knew what she was getting into. She was given the choice by her Doctor to limit the number of babies growing in her—but she refused. In fact, the first “doctor” who implanted the embryos into her should be sued for malpractice because 7 embryos is too many. If you follow all the news about her, you would know that GOT PAID for being a test subject for in vitro fertilization. Child protection services ought to take all her children away because clearly, she physically and mentally won’t be able to take care of them. She’s getting a lot of free stuff from people/companies. So yes, she is acting selfish.

stoptheinsanity February 3, 2009, 9:46 PM

Bright young woman? I’m sorry, but most “bright young women” don’t choose to birth 8 more children to fulfill their own selfish desires when they don’t have adequate space or attention for the 6 children they already have. I only hope the (grand)mother actually does leave and finally stops enabling this insanity!

Shame on corporate America if they choose to subsidize and reward those who make these types of irresponsible, self-serving choices. It sends the wrong message.

brigitte February 3, 2009, 9:53 PM

I think everything about this woman is crap. She is single and already has 6 kids and now 8. Who does she think is going to pay for these kids??? Our taxes thats who. So now she is looking for easy money basicly selling her kids while the rest of us earn money the honest way. The doc who did her invetro should have his/her licenses revoked for even inplanting a single woman with a bunch of kids.