Octuplets Mom's Publicist Lashes Out

A publicist for octuplets mom Nadya Suleman, the mother of eight plus six, is vigilant about protecting her client's interests.

octuplets and hand holding money bag

Last Friday the mother of newborn octuplets did what any single, unemployed mom of six who just gave birth to octuplets would do -- she hired a publicist.

And that publicist is pissed.

Joann Killeen, the spokesperson for Suleman, told momlogic she's fed up with people jumping to conclusions about her client. "They don't know the situation. They don't know her, yet they feel the right to criticize."

"The truth is," says Killeen, "No mother says to herself, 'I want eight babies at once.'"

Indeed, moms in particular have been railing against the 32-year-old for her "unconventional" family planning practices, voicing their opinions on message boards and blogs. "Thank God there's no Internet available for patients in the hospital," says Killeen, "I know what people are writing about her -- but she doesn't. My job is to protect my client."

The public outcry has reportedly made donations to Nadya and her enormous clan almost non-existent. Makers of diapers, formula and other products are keeping their distance from a story with this much controversy. Killeen says all of this is just conjecture. "Just because I don't have a truck backed up to my office with donations doesn't mean anything. What do they need diapers for at this point? The babies are still in the hospital, they won't be out for 10 to 12 weeks."

Do you think the California octuplets deserve donations or financial assistance?

\

Anonymous February 4, 2009, 5:42 PM

It’s not the babies’ fault they’re here. You give the mother and the grandparents a rough time, you make it more difficult for them to care for these newborns. I hope some individuals and organizations less obsessive about how these kids came to be will do the decent thing and help.

Dawn February 4, 2009, 5:55 PM

I don’t think they deserve help. I think she had no business going to a fertility specialist in the first place, but if she could afford the fertility treatments, you’d think she’d make sure she could afford the babies.

ame i. February 4, 2009, 6:35 PM

This woman obviously has mental problems. What would possess any woman in her right mind to try to have other children while having 6 at home she is unable to care for without assistance?
Hard call. I couldn’t vote to allow the addional 8 or the previous 6 to wallow in the squalor that is their mother’s life. It is obvious that the mother’s decision to get pregnant was a calculated decision and a bid for attention. She has received attention, that’s for sure.

Anonymous February 4, 2009, 6:41 PM

I would not give that baby making bimbo one lousy dime.

SesshoumarusGirl February 4, 2009, 6:49 PM

Oh, poor, poor! “rolls eyes”

The publisist is “pissed?” WTF was she expecting, mailbags of “new baby” cards and truckfulls of pampers?

Perhaps the Mom NEEDS to see what people are saying, perhaps it will bring her back down to reality and she will realize what a mess she put herself in.

Reality Check February 4, 2009, 7:14 PM

Anon your absolutely right it is not the babies fault nor is it the fault of babies all over the world who are born into impoverished situations. But in this situation the woman made the decision to create a child artifically knowing that she could not support that child which became children financially or emotionally. This was not a whoops situation. This was a planned pregnancy.

I personally have five children with my husband of which we support without public assistance. We had planned on having six but made a mature decision to stop because the change in the economy would make it irresponsible for us to have another one.

By supporting this woman financially we are sending a message to other irresponsible woman out there who might think this is a good idea.

If she cannot support them maybe they should be given to homes who can not only provide the financial support but the emotional support as well. Having five children myself I’m finding it difficult to believe that she can give 14 children the love and time that they so desperately need in their lives.

My opinion is the state should remove these children, fix her so she can never do this again and no one should give this Mom a cent. Honestly I think she did this on purpose hoping it would land her on easy street.

Puzzled February 4, 2009, 7:22 PM

“The truth is,” says Killeen, “No mother says to herself, ‘I want eight babies at once.’”

Uhm…didn’t she have the 8 embryos implanted? Didn’t she DECIDE to have a LOT of babies? If she didn’t want the chance at 8, perhaps she should have had fewer implanted?

Am I missing something?

nai February 4, 2009, 8:16 PM

This woman is sick sick sick..the fertility specialist should have his be suspended for doing fertility treatments on a 33 year old woman with six children under six who is unemployed! Jumping to conclusions? How can you not? i will be paying for these kids who in my mind are already the victim of neglect..there is no way she can care for all of these kids..I don’t pity her. I pity the children that have to call her mother.

ame i. February 4, 2009, 8:44 PM

The babies deserve to be placed in homes where they can be cared for by parents who are not mentally ill, as their mother apparently is, with parents who can afford to financially support them.
How is this unemployed woman paying her publicist? I suspect this publicist is also an opportunist, hoping that someone is foolish enough to offer the idiot mother a dollar or two.
I also pity the babies, and the 6 children who will be put on the back burner when the babies come home. None of her children will ever receive the love and attention they deserve.

Justsayin February 4, 2009, 8:48 PM

I will boycott any company that gives her freebies or support. How about you?

Paige February 4, 2009, 9:17 PM

Just because she had a litter of kids this publicist thinks they are entitled to free stuff and book deals. I hope she gets nothing!! Sane people typically have a plan for raising and providing for children before they birth them. I’m so glad Americans are waking up and not rewarding stupid behavior.

trina February 4, 2009, 9:24 PM

Let the publicist and the doctor support her! I hope NO company gives her anything except a full time job.

Mary Miller February 4, 2009, 9:48 PM

If this mother is truly responsible, she’d want to do something to insure her children have a good life. The responsible thing to do would be to give the babies up for adoption to people who can provide for them. As an adopted child, I’m sure glad my birth mom, who had way too many kids, gave me to a family who could take care of me.

Anonymous February 4, 2009, 10:04 PM

Oh what a warm and humane community this is…She may have issues but she is a University grad. Can’t just label her plain dumb. Going on the attack with someone who just delivered eight babies says more about the attackers than the mom. I doubt the family will starve even without the good will of their neighbours. They seem resourceful, the grandfather pointed out that the only reason they’re not alright is because of the media attention.
I could understand all this hatred if we were talking about some horrible criminal, say, a serial killer. It would make sense to me then. But this lady just gave life instead of taking it. Can’t you warm and fuzzy folk save your hatred for a better occasion?

Melora February 4, 2009, 10:17 PM

The fact remains this woman already had six kids and wasn’t happy with that so she wanted more. That proves she’s having kids for the wrong reason and needs psychological help.

I really don’t care if she gets freebies or not, but I do hope one of things she gets its counseling.

I will NEVER support any TV show or series she does, nor will I buy any book.

She gives infertility treatments a bad stereotype and she gives only children a bad name.

curtis February 4, 2009, 11:10 PM

where is the local DCF and do they not see that they and we as taxpayers will end up footin the bill for this crappy decision by what is obviusly a disterbed woman

jillian February 4, 2009, 11:52 PM

This 33 year old single woman was unemployed, had 6 children under 8 (one of which has autism), was already receiving Welfare and lived with her bankrupt parents. She then intentionally had 8 embryos implanted in her (some say that she went to Mexico to have it done). Who did she think was going to pay for her 14 children???? The taxpayers of course. Why should she be rewarded by anyone (Social Services, the public or Media outlets etc.) for her selfishness and arrogance. There are so many more deserving people than her in society who get neither donations nor financial assistance even though they’re in need ot it.

Real Mom  February 4, 2009, 11:57 PM

According to the publicist, this was not planned. So what do women do when they give birth to children they knowingly can not afford and did not plan? They place them for adoption.

The publicist is right, it wasn’t planned! The plan was to sell an interview/book deal/photo spread for $2 million but that backfired.

If this woman was mentally stable in the least bit, why isn’t there a man in the picture? Because I am not buying the whole “she always wanted to be a single mother” bit.

If the mother doesn’t get paid, that publicist doesn’t get paid.

c February 5, 2009, 12:00 AM

The woman allegedly declared bankruptcy last year and is a single parent with 6 other children. Where is the oney coming from to pay for this publicist?????

Anonymous February 5, 2009, 1:07 AM

These children should be adopted by people who can properly care for them. I don’t want to have to pay for this selfish woman to have babies. Who is paying her medical bills….you and I are, who will pay to feed and cloth these babies…..you and I are. If she has such a self confidence problem that she needs more children so that she feels loved maybe she should have seen a therapist not a fertility specialist. Who paid for the fertility doctor? I bet the tax payers see that bill too.