Octuplets Mom's Publicist Lashes Out

A publicist for octuplets mom Nadya Suleman, the mother of eight plus six, is vigilant about protecting her client's interests.

octuplets and hand holding money bag

Last Friday the mother of newborn octuplets did what any single, unemployed mom of six who just gave birth to octuplets would do -- she hired a publicist.

And that publicist is pissed.

Joann Killeen, the spokesperson for Suleman, told momlogic she's fed up with people jumping to conclusions about her client. "They don't know the situation. They don't know her, yet they feel the right to criticize."

"The truth is," says Killeen, "No mother says to herself, 'I want eight babies at once.'"

Indeed, moms in particular have been railing against the 32-year-old for her "unconventional" family planning practices, voicing their opinions on message boards and blogs. "Thank God there's no Internet available for patients in the hospital," says Killeen, "I know what people are writing about her -- but she doesn't. My job is to protect my client."

The public outcry has reportedly made donations to Nadya and her enormous clan almost non-existent. Makers of diapers, formula and other products are keeping their distance from a story with this much controversy. Killeen says all of this is just conjecture. "Just because I don't have a truck backed up to my office with donations doesn't mean anything. What do they need diapers for at this point? The babies are still in the hospital, they won't be out for 10 to 12 weeks."

Do you think the California octuplets deserve donations or financial assistance?

\

KMS February 5, 2009, 5:40 AM

Those poor babies… they didn’t ask for any of this, and they deserve better. I would donate diapers, clothes, etc. for the babies if I lived in the area, but not cash. I hope that one way or another, these babies get all of the love and attention that they want, need and deserve to have- just as every baby should.

Nene February 5, 2009, 5:40 AM

“warm and humane community this is”? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This woman knowingly made herself a welfare mom with all these kids and you want us to feel for her? My husband and I are both unemployed and are having a hell of a time getting help and this dumb bimbo gets herself knocked up on purpose so WE CAN SUPPORT HER AND HER KIDS!! Yeah…I’m pissed off about it and with good reason.

Anonymous February 5, 2009, 6:56 AM

So let’s take it out on the kids then, right? So many people are absolutely outraged when they hear about child abuse and neglect. We are social beings who thrive on each other’s support. Do you think there will be no effect on the kids from all this hatred for their mother? I can just hear it now: “oh, I’m one of a set of octuplets. People really didn’t like my family when we were little. They were mad at my mother for having us. My first memories are of angry hateful faces gawking at us whenever we went out in public. They were yelling at our mother that she was a brood mare, a dumb bimbo who should have herself spayed. It sort of gave me the feeling this world was one nasty hostile place to be. People were screaming we should all go to foster homes or be adopted. That was so scary, we wanted to stay with our mom! They were saying we were a burden on society. They turned out to be right, I guess. I’m sitting in this jail cell now because I never felt part of this society. They hated us so, they taught me to hate them back!”

Anonymous February 5, 2009, 7:39 AM

Money, money, money! Everything costs money alright. Gee, you’re even supporting all those criminals sitting in jail, and all their rights, including their right not to have to work at all! Why aren’t you getting upset about them?
Babies still have all this potential, you know. So why don’t you help them to become upstanding, responsible citizens by not destroying their faith in humanity with your rabid hatred.

anonymous February 5, 2009, 9:29 AM

The responses of all of these angry “self righteous” people really saddens me. We don’t know the facts surrounding this woman’s life situation, only the media’s “rumors”. Why would any one wish her harm and express wishes that she receive no financial or emotional support? It is a complete lack of compassion for another human being, regardless of her circumstances. Expressing ill will and your hope that she gets no support actually hurts all of her 14 children!! Mean spirited folks who only feel sorry for what they “can’t get for themselves”. I hope that the wealthy corporations assist her with everything she needs and that loads of volunteers donate their time to the family. How about the “extreme home makeover” show paying them a visit to build them the perfect home? How cruel some of these posts are. Remember the old saying “people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones? THINK ABOUT IT!!

ANONYMOUS February 5, 2009, 10:10 AM

I don’t think anyone should donate anything to any parent, mutiples or not. Your choice, your responsibility, your consequence. Take of you and your own!

Dawn Carlyon February 5, 2009, 10:46 AM

If the publicist is so pissed because people are saying things and they don’t know the true story - then tell it! But no. They aren’t saying a word to anyone who isn’t willing to pay for the story. And I have a hard time believing any of the endearing things the publicist is saying considering she is being paid to say them. And just who is paying the publicist?

Marie February 5, 2009, 11:15 AM

If you can’t take care of/afford them… don’t have ‘em.

It is one thing to give assistance to those who need a little push or for some reason their situation has change making them need assistance. But going out and doing this on purpose… is a whole different story.

Nancy February 5, 2009, 11:38 AM

I wish I knew the answer. I’m human. I don’t want the kids to suffer because their mother was not responsible. A few people complain because if we are upset about her profiting from this, we are bad.
If she had no kids and a job and needed help to get pregnant, and happened to have 8, I would be glad to see her get help. This is not the case. If she gets pampers, formular and the like its one thing but a 2 Million dollar windfall or a house from extreme makeover, really.
I guess a college education doesn’t always make you smart.

Kate February 5, 2009, 12:55 PM

Anyone with six children and SEEKS fertility treatment already has money.
I HOPE SHE HAS MONEY. She has the right
to have as many children as she like as long as the taxpayers DO NOT have to spport them. Why should the public feel sorry for her situation when she created it?

David February 5, 2009, 2:01 PM

Octuplets and six kids at home. If anything maybe the six older kids deserve some attention.As all the media blitz is on the mother and babies. I remember years ago a couple had setuplets?(6)? And the media was all over them and Oprah gave them stuff and a University gave them collage scholorships and Johnson and Johnson gave them a diapers. They disappeared for a couple years, but then as the babies got bigger and needs got more they brought themselves back out towards the media to curry more donations. It did not work. A fertility clinic costs a lot of money. This qwomen obviously can afoord to go there. So she should be able to afoord caring for her children.

anonymos February 5, 2009, 2:28 PM

we all make choices in our lifes. to choose to have more childern than you can suport is a selfish act. for companys to suport those childern is business. for others to suport companys that condone this kind of thing is also a choice. in years past people had large families to work on there farms and bussiness. now no one can afford 14 childern alone. to porposly have this many childern is a selfish act. no one should suport and when she can not take care of these childern the state should step in and place them with those that can and want to take care of them. in the mean time she should get no help from state funds or bussiness as this well just prolong the time for her to have them. the Dr that insiminated her should lose his lince as there must be some moral code of ethics that prevents some one to bring life in to this world that can not be taken care of. it does not take much to figure out that a unemployed person with 6 kids does not need to have 1 more much less 8 more. who is and has paid for all of these kids and how did she think she could suport more????

rachel February 5, 2009, 4:08 PM

Another 8 children where born last week to an unwed mother who wants us to now pay for her children. What’s happening in society that women think it is alright to have children and not be able to support them, themselves. What about a father for these children? Children’s lives are enriched and enhanced when they have a Dad around. Men bring in awhole different factor when they are in a childs life.

giselle February 5, 2009, 4:16 PM

i dont think she deserves any help at all. infertility treatments are very expensive if she had money for that then she should have money for her 14 kids. besides she had 6 kids no husband and living with her parents she needs a psychatrist. she just trying to scam taxpayers out of our hardearned money. she going to go on welfare we all know that.

Mo from Dallas, TX February 5, 2009, 4:22 PM

Hmmm….I think the publicist needs to be out soliciting RESPONSIBLE PARENTS for these children, not donations. Each one (all 14) need their own set of parents to care for them from here on out. Without visitation to their biological mother in the psych ward.

Anonymous February 5, 2009, 6:22 PM

I think that no company should donate anything to her and it rude and disrespectful to have your 60 year old father going back to work to help take care of 14 children that are not his and that he did not ask for his crazy daughter to have.

R February 5, 2009, 8:53 PM

Why should the babies have to pay for it? They deserve the care no matter what. While coming down on the mother and the grandparents, we’re only really hurting them. Any moral person would help despite the fact someone made a mistake.

Bec Thomas February 5, 2009, 9:38 PM

I think the mother needs a psyc eval, and that an investigation should be launched into medical malpractice. I question whether this women has the ability and support to care for all these children. Should she get donations? I want to see the children cared for but donations isn’t typically how parents get the job done. I really hope she wasn’t planning on donations as part of her parenting model.

Tina February 5, 2009, 10:34 PM

Wow 13 kid total…. i don’t know what she was thinking…I feel that she should let people adopt her baby. first she can’t afford these kid without public assistance. second she has a mental problem for having eight.

stephanie February 6, 2009, 1:23 AM

wow…14 kids? i have only 2 and it’s really difficult. it’s wonderful, but it’s difficult. we hardly have enough time for ourselves and what with the economic crisis. tsk2x. we’re saving up all the money that we possibly can so that when they enter school in the next few years, it won’t be so hard. what could she have been thinking?