Octuplets Mom's Publicist Lashes Out

A publicist for octuplets mom Nadya Suleman, the mother of eight plus six, is vigilant about protecting her client's interests.

octuplets and hand holding money bag

Last Friday the mother of newborn octuplets did what any single, unemployed mom of six who just gave birth to octuplets would do -- she hired a publicist.

And that publicist is pissed.

Joann Killeen, the spokesperson for Suleman, told momlogic she's fed up with people jumping to conclusions about her client. "They don't know the situation. They don't know her, yet they feel the right to criticize."

"The truth is," says Killeen, "No mother says to herself, 'I want eight babies at once.'"

Indeed, moms in particular have been railing against the 32-year-old for her "unconventional" family planning practices, voicing their opinions on message boards and blogs. "Thank God there's no Internet available for patients in the hospital," says Killeen, "I know what people are writing about her -- but she doesn't. My job is to protect my client."

The public outcry has reportedly made donations to Nadya and her enormous clan almost non-existent. Makers of diapers, formula and other products are keeping their distance from a story with this much controversy. Killeen says all of this is just conjecture. "Just because I don't have a truck backed up to my office with donations doesn't mean anything. What do they need diapers for at this point? The babies are still in the hospital, they won't be out for 10 to 12 weeks."

\

confused February 11, 2009, 12:20 PM

I am slightly confused about one thing. Her and her doctor both say that this was not planned, but they implanted 6 embryos ito her. Like she said, their is a risk of all of them taking, so why so many when she already had six children. I have no children and my husband and I cannot afford any medical help to concieve nor do we make enough for adoption, so I am confuse how a single mother of six and recieving assistance can afford the treatments and still support her other children.

rkc February 11, 2009, 1:13 PM

May be she only need attention. But What will she tell the children when they are grown up? I think she is really really mentally disturb.

Susan Rouson February 11, 2009, 2:31 PM

One’s response and subsequent actions to the arrival of new people on this earth is a measure of humanity and of society. To control the number of children one has, and to judge parents on their birth control choices, is condemning and judgmental, and vicious, in some cases. This is the USA — land of the free. Mom can’t exactly send the children back! Perhaps she had a moral issue with the extinction of 8 embryos. Whether she has psychiatric issues or not, the babies are gifts from God. Whether she has HANDICAPPED children or not, ALL the children are gifts from God. Biotechnology and moral values clash. We have been given the gift of knowledge. What we do with it will always be up to individuals and, eventually, legislative choices. In China and many countries, abortion and sterilization is acceptable, and family size is limited for the sake of the country’s populace. These babies are HERE in AMERICA, Land of Freedom. Mom is HERE. When we cannot pitch in and offer blessings and community assistance in place of condemnation and censure and ridicule, we cease being civilized and humane. We become part of the problem instead of part of the solution. Mom has the freedom of choice, whether people like it or not. But throwing figurative stones at a new mom with so many beautiful babies to care for is hateful, inhumane, and certainly not helping HER mental health. Our moral obligation is to assist her in being the best mother she can be and to assist her in maintaining optimal mental health, no matter what previous choices she has made! Let’s live in the here and now, fellow Americans and human beings!

Annie February 11, 2009, 2:50 PM

Lashes out? AT WHO?!!!! Excuse me moron but this women has not worked in what? So many years? Collecting “DISABILITY”???? Disability for what?!!!! Yet she was not “DISABLED” enough to go out there and get fertility treatments to have these babies???? SHE SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED!!!! HOW DARE SHE STEAL MONEY FROM US HARD WORKING TAXPAYERS!!!! THAT MONEY SHOULD BE TAKEN BACK FROM HER!!!! ALL SHE’S LOOKING FOR IS WELFARE AND HANDOUTS!!!! SHE SAYS NO ONE PERSON CAN TAKE CARE OF 14 KIDS? WHY THE HECK DID SHE HAVE THEM???? AND AS FOR HER PUBLICISTS???? HE’S LIKE FLY ON CHIT!!!! WAITING TO GET HIS FILL TOO!!!! ONLY IDIOTS WOULD BUY THIS BOOK!!!! TAX PAYERS ARE ANGRY BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO DISH OUT THE MONEY TO HELP THIS VERY ILL WOMAN!!!! NO THANK YOU!!!! MY MONEY STAYS IN MY POCKET AND I’LL SUPPORT MY OWN CHILDREN THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

RickyG February 11, 2009, 4:03 PM

This lady has the mindset of a little girl who wants a lot of toy dolls. The government should not have to pay anything to her. Keep in mind also the government is the people. There are people who did not intentionally put themselves in a rut who need money more than her.

As for the kids. If she gets no money then neglect will be the resulting factor. The children will or should be taken away from her an be given to people who will have the time to love them; and keep them in a more easily managed and financially supported home.

Anonymous February 11, 2009, 4:10 PM

This story has an emotional roller coaster. The mom and the doctor whom performed the procedure made a costly decision for society. Since I have personally been through the IVF procedure and conceived twins and a single birth, I am interested to know who paid for all these costly procedures and that person or persons should be responsible for the care of these children, not society as a whole. My husband and I have cared for our children solely and not with any state or public assistance. It outrages me that she is taking advantage of our society’s genorosity to donate and care for multiple births. She made a choice. Children are not toys and the ability to give birth is a blessing, if she truly wanted to give a blessing to the world, she should have donated the remaining embroys to others not so fortunate. Personally, I would not contribute a dime of the hard earned money my family struggle to make yearly.

Tami February 11, 2009, 5:20 PM

No, she should not get any assistance for this self-made situation. Someone from child protective services should evaluate the situation and if it is deemed that these babies (and the other 6 if necessary) cannot be cared for properly by Ms. Suleman, they should be taken from her and put up for adoption.

Donations at this point will only prolong her need. Not many people, even married couples with stable well-paying jobs, can afford to care properly for 14 children. Especially in light of the fact that the grandparents cannot be counted on to help (and rightly so) with raising these children. Ms. Suleman made a terrible decision to have these babies and now she needs to do the right thing and give them a chance at a normal life with parents who can love and care for them.

jezika February 11, 2009, 7:01 PM

I agree with those who believe this entire fiasco was orchestrated for financial gain. I believe this woman has been defrauding the system from the time she started getting disability. According to the grandmother, mother practically has been an absent parent physically, emotionally and financially. So why would she have more? The mother should start adoption proceedings or the state should take custody of all 14 children. People should not be donating money. See this for what it is….. CRIMINAL. THIS WOMAN SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO GET AWAY WITH THIS FARCE!!!

Nemesys February 11, 2009, 7:57 PM

Hey Anonymous - save your “warm and fuzzy feelings” BS, and wrap Suleman’s litter up in ‘em, and PAY for their care and feeding yourself. ENOUGH with the sentimental tripe - it’s time for hard cold reality to come back into style.

Suleman is a mental case, and a sleazy scam artist. It’s obvious she thought she would be supported, for life, by a “delighted public”. There are folks all over this Nation who have been tossed out of their homes, because of the manipulated financial meltdown, though no fault of THEIR own - and every-one is supposed to care about this demented creature, and her defective kids? Humans are NOT designed to spawn litters; offspring like hers tend to have diminished physical and intellectual capacities. Just what America needs - more low-IQ permanent Welfare cases. 3 of her previous kids have physical/mental issues, and a tapped-out Public pays thier costs. I can guarantee that the newest litter are going to be even more diminshed. I feel sorry for the kids. Every-one involved in this outgrage against Society and Nature should be FLOGGED. She should be put to work paying back EVERY dime she’s stolen. Let her “doctors” pay for the kids. Welfare breeds untervermin.

Heather February 11, 2009, 8:37 PM

Both her and whatever quack she went to should face charges. She hasn’t worked in years, yet some people on here are trying to make us all feel “warm and fuzzy?” Nobody wants to take it out on the children, but how do we tell her that this is not okay and not punish the children? I’m not sure that there is a good answer for this, what I do know is that somewhere a family is crying because they would love to adopt some of these kids. I know I know, it’s hard to imagine splitting them up, but what’s better? Leaving them with her? What happens when she has the money to do it again?

Alexenjie February 11, 2009, 11:24 PM

“Do you think the California octuplets deserve donations or financial assistance?”

Plain and simple NO. This mother is a nutcase in my opinion. I hope all her children are evaluated and placed in homes where they can be adopted by people who can love AND take care of them both financially and emotionally.

I don’t believe any child gets the attention and love that they need in a family with 14 children (muchless with 14 children under the age of 7). There are only so many hours in a day.

RJ February 12, 2009, 1:26 AM

I agree with “Trina”, who posted at 9:24 pm, let the publicist and especially that quack Dr pay for these new humans … I pay Ca taxes enough already.
Anon. at 10:04; Where is your own logic here? So she got a college degree! that doesn’t make her any better or worse. Can you not see how Nadya is taking advantage of 14 kids to further her own sick agenda? I call that child abuse.

Erika Jones February 12, 2009, 3:03 AM

I’m sorry, but Nadya Suleman did the state of California, California tax payers, and most importantly, ALL OF her 14 CHILDREN a serious disservice. I don’t understand why she would INTENTIONALLY deny her children a father when she, who grew up with two parents under the same roof, STILL felt “lonely” and “longed for a connection” growing up. As a tax payer, I would like to ask her on what planet did she think that food stamps and SSI are NOT welfare? …Of course it is! Also, it is morally wrong for her to spend your student loan money on birthing and raising so many children when it’s meant to go towards her education. Besides, how is she going to complete her education if she is spending it on raising her kids? Where will her educational funds come from? Why would I ask, it’s not like she will pay it back anyways… I would normally not complain about worker’s compensation, but in her case, it’s a ten-year-old back injury that can’t be proven with x-rays, etc, and reportedly only substantiated by her claims of ‘pain’ to her doctors. Here is my question to her: If your back hurts that much, then how are you able to carry and birth so many children, especially the octuplets? I highly RESENT the fact that my tax money is going to her, her supposed “disability,” and her liter of children while I have to postpone having children until I FIRST finish paying back my student loans and other debts while I work full-time along with my husband to support ourselves, because that’s what RESPONSIBLE people do. Suleman’s claim to be there, “being present” to her children is NOT POSSIBLE if she did actually get off her derrier to go work during the day, because she wouldn’t be watching her children, her mother will. So her mother would be the one to be “present” to her kids, NOT HER. Lastly, I think the most responsible thing to do as a mother who prioritizes her childrens’ welfare is to adopt out these children to MARRIED, TWO-PARENT COUPLES who are COMMITTED to each other and physically, mentally, financially CAPABLE of raising her children, because clearly she is not, and her parents are WAY too old to be having to pick up her slack when they should be enjoying their retirement. I don’t know what kind of resentment she has against her parents, but what a TERRIBLE way to pay them back… SHEEESH, I would HATE to be them…

shilo0854 February 12, 2009, 9:36 AM

Just shows you can have a degree and ZERO comman sense. All the babies should be placed in family services. Till a complete mental evaluation can be done on Nadia. She stated she has 1 1/2 yrs still to get her Master’s. She needs to focus on getting a job now to care financially for the 6. That means a home, healthcare ins., food and such with the 6 at home now. We would do this for others in her situation.

Mary February 12, 2009, 10:36 AM

For heavens sake, let’s not punish the babies because you don’t approve of the mother!

I’m going to send something now! Some cute little p.j.s, something. People are so darn mean. There are eight little babies there, let’s not forget that.

CColeman February 12, 2009, 12:36 PM

She deserves everything “she does not get”. Her children need to be taken by the State and adopted to good homes that will love and care for them in envirnoments they deserve to be brought up in. The other six children now being raised by Nadya’s parents also need to be placed in homes they can thrive in; healthy and happy and cared for. The fertility doctor who implanted these embryos should have to monetarily provide for these children for years and years to come. To expect the American tax paying citizens to congratulate her on being so selfish to her six chldren at home whom she cannot afford to raise or the newly born eight children , by giving of their money and staple items is rediculous on her part. She does not deserve the title of “mother”. She is a selfish, self gratifying woman, with dollars on her brain, and she makes me sick to my stomach. Those poor children do not deserve to struggle their entire lives because of their mother’s decision to “have a large family”. I beg the State to take these 8 babies and he 6 at home and place them in homes they deserve. Sad….sad….sad story.

sweetfolly February 12, 2009, 4:37 PM

Its a sad state of affairs when people judge so harshly and spew so much vitriol towards this woman who just wanted to have a family. I certainly do not agree with her decisions to have more children when she was struggling financially to take care of her current children. I do think she was unrealistic and perhaps selfish. However, for people to post death threats and say they would boycott any company that would be willing to donate items is absolutely ridiculous and cruel. The fact that she receives $490 a month in food stamps, which most likely only pays for about 2 wks worth of groceries, does not give anyone the right to tell her to give her children up for adoption. Unless she is neglectful, abusive, etc should that even be discussed. Whatever issues she may have she obviously loves her kids and we should be praying for her and encouraging people to assist her in taking care of her children. Money isn’t everything, lets look at what’s really important here. Stop judging and as all of us have made unwise choices in our lives.

Serena February 12, 2009, 5:04 PM

I understand about wanting to be a mom becuz i’m 1 but you already had 6 kids and no man and on aided help…Now what I can’t understand is why would you bring more kids in the world and not have a plan that yes I did it once it might happen again.You want the world to pay for what you wanted to do.You want to have a book a show and donations.Why can’t you get out their and work.Why would you hire a someone to talk for you to make these deals for you.We are not jumping the gun here this woman did she should have had a plan to suport these kids first.Their are women out their having these kids planed becuz they can’t have kids not for the world to pay for them…I hope that she would be forced to get a job and pay for these kids that did not ask to be born to a selfish mother that is just thinking of her self right now…Everyone say no to helping her let her do it for her self

Suzie February 12, 2009, 5:35 PM

How this woman pay for the publicist? With the disability money of her autistic child?

Anon February 12, 2009, 6:18 PM

This mom said money is just paper and kids don’t need paper so why is she asking for donations? I don’t see how these poor kids are going to get their physical, mental, emotion needs met. i think the publicist jumped on the bandwagon thinking there was going to be alot of money coming her way. Me and alot of people I have spoken to do not plan to support any company who donates to this trainwreck.