Octuplets Mom's Publicist Lashes Out

A publicist for octuplets mom Nadya Suleman, the mother of eight plus six, is vigilant about protecting her client's interests.

octuplets and hand holding money bag

Last Friday the mother of newborn octuplets did what any single, unemployed mom of six who just gave birth to octuplets would do -- she hired a publicist.

And that publicist is pissed.

Joann Killeen, the spokesperson for Suleman, told momlogic she's fed up with people jumping to conclusions about her client. "They don't know the situation. They don't know her, yet they feel the right to criticize."

"The truth is," says Killeen, "No mother says to herself, 'I want eight babies at once.'"

Indeed, moms in particular have been railing against the 32-year-old for her "unconventional" family planning practices, voicing their opinions on message boards and blogs. "Thank God there's no Internet available for patients in the hospital," says Killeen, "I know what people are writing about her -- but she doesn't. My job is to protect my client."

The public outcry has reportedly made donations to Nadya and her enormous clan almost non-existent. Makers of diapers, formula and other products are keeping their distance from a story with this much controversy. Killeen says all of this is just conjecture. "Just because I don't have a truck backed up to my office with donations doesn't mean anything. What do they need diapers for at this point? The babies are still in the hospital, they won't be out for 10 to 12 weeks."

Do you think the California octuplets deserve donations or financial assistance?

\

anon February 12, 2009, 6:59 PM

My husbansd and I have been trying for children for over 6 years unsucessfully. We have had 4 failed IVF cycles. I had over 26 embryos and REFUSED to have more than 3 transferred at a time. None took and I am emotionally scarred and would do about anything to become a mother. My husband & I are both employed, have a stable marriage,a big house, and have started a college fund for the children that we do not have and may never have BUT I would be irresponsible to transfer more than 3 at a time because there is always a chance that all will take and some may divide. I have no empathy for this woman. Oh, I also work for CPS and see cases everyday where woman have had children that they cannot afford. No worries though because our tax money will support them all…

dianne February 12, 2009, 7:07 PM

I’m planning to boycott any company who donates to this cause.

my 2 cents worth  February 12, 2009, 9:13 PM

Let the doc sell his houses and pay the bills and keep these kids up till there grown and she needs get few jobs her self i hope that no fools send her $ just dont make sence 2 me for the 6 she had to suffer and the 8 to have 2 suffer when they get out …. just wounder why were all broke???

MF February 12, 2009, 9:58 PM

I think people are so mean. May be this girl made the wrong decision but the critics are harsh and severe. Every reporter seems to want to castigate the girl. People should leave her alone. There was one reporter on CNN that even went so far as to suggest that her children should be taken away by Child Protective Services.

Although I would not make the choice as Nadia, I do think she will be a good mother. She appears to love her kids. So if people don’t want to help her, they should at least leave her alone. We should all “get a life” and let her deal with her reality.

mf

Joe February 12, 2009, 10:56 PM

Has to have mental illness, cannot imagine anyone being so selfish & self centered to not think of what her children, all 14 of them are going to have to go through because of her shot at a reality TV show. The children should be put up for adoption and she should have her uterus removed. This is child abuse.

Joe February 12, 2009, 11:11 PM

The doctor and the publicist who are so supportive of this woman should support the children, they seem to think this is a wonderful thing. The doctor needs to be brought before the medical review board, the publicist should just go to work for Jerry Springer now, she had a hotline to future guests for quite a few seasons.

lisa February 13, 2009, 2:40 AM

I really think they went about this the wrong way. They could have gained public support first, by saying she only wanted 1 more but she refused to abort any of her children.If she had gained support first and kept quiet about money all together it wouldnt have made her sound greedy. Instead she whines shes lonely and wants money to appear on shows and hires a publicist.

Chris February 13, 2009, 4:07 AM

It is obvious that this woman is mentaly ill. first of all multiple pregnancies are extremely risky,,,she could have died. Poor babies ,,,I feel so bad for them. Remember, all babies are a gift from God. They are a true miracle…I agree that she doesn’t deserve a dime from anyone. But the authorities should step in and give these children to a family who would love and nurture them….I don’t think she should be allowed to take them home with her. May God bless and watch over these little kids, they didn’t ask to be here.

deb February 13, 2009, 6:35 AM

YES, if these companies do NOT help then I guess the mother will NOT be able to raise these children and then DCFS will have to step in…This was HER choice…I for one will boycott ANY company that assists her. That is something we ALL can do. WE do not have to buy from companies that sponser her. That will hit them in their pocketbook. With companies going out of business in this economy it would cause them to lose money if people boycotted their products. And boycott any TV show or book she makes. I do not think people should be making any type of death threats against her. Just do not watch the tv shows or buy from the sponsors. And one last thing…Do NOT blame the babies in this. Hopefully they will be raised by loving parents.

C February 13, 2009, 1:07 PM

She made the CHOICE to have them. And, I might add I am NOT for abortion, I am against it, but I am in favor of adoption when it’s in the best interest of the children. And she is selfishly trying to keep them all too, knowing full well that the only way this whole thing might possibly work out is to get tons of help from other people. That signifigantly puts all her children in the position of possibly getting abused from some “caregiver” since no mom can oversee them all properly. She wants to do it alone she says, but that’s simply not the truth and not possible. The way I see it, she should recieve no help. She’s already abusing the “system” She got herself into this, made her own bed, despite her family pleading with her not to make more babies. She could have stayed with the children she already had and used the fortune that she squandered away from her “back injury” to actually provide for her family, rather than build more family. She was not a married woman who accidentally got pregnant then could not provide, no, but she deliberately took food from her kids mouths, and roof fromm their heads to create a larger family deliberately. She says she wants to do it by herself, so I say let her work her way out of it. But she should do this without asking for or acepting handouts from people and companies, why should this type of irrational thinking and behavior be condoned or reinforced. If she’s not capeable then perhaps she will eventually come to the only proper solution, to adopt them out to good homes. Otherwise, now she stands to raise 14 future “milkers of the system”.

A February 13, 2009, 1:26 PM

I personally think that a mother of 6 without a job should not go to a fertility clinic to have more kids. what the hell is wrong with her? if anything, this is a selfish act on her part especially in hard times like these. She says she’s just lonely but how can you be lonely with 6 kids? My opinion is that she just wanted to be in the spotlight & try to fool caring people out there to give her money because she’s struggling. its her fault she’s struggling since she was the one who made the decision. it wasn’t an accident, it was a CHOICE!!!!!!

Beth February 13, 2009, 6:54 PM

I really don’t think the country will go bankrupt just because these 8 little babies have been born. Nadya’s reasoning process kind of escapes me, because I think every child should have a chance to grow up with 2 parents…but we need to all understand that she never expected to get 8 babies! There were 6 babies implanted, with a very slim chance that even one of those would result in a birth. The fact that all 6 implanted embryos survived, plus 2 sets of unplanned twins, all came as a huge surprise and highly unlikely. I think these 8 unique babies could have an awesome future IF the community will quit “throwing stones” and start having some compassion. Every life has value. Every mom needs help, especially this one.

diana February 13, 2009, 9:39 PM

good luck with those angels

c February 14, 2009, 1:59 AM

Read this scripture to see how the Judge of all the earth feels about situations of irrational and selfish behavior like this. 1 Tim 5:8 God says he expects parents to take proper care of their families and to provide for them. He considers irrisponsible parenting as bad as someone who has denied the faith and is even considered an infidel. It’s in the Bible read it. I dont think leaving an opinion on a public forum is judging, it’s a sign of good human conscience to be outraged by hurtful, unjust schemes. That the majority of people are so outraged,just shows the level of injustice being done here on behalf of these children. She went on this mad quest to seek more and more babies, despite not having the means to care for anymore. But appearantly she just did not care because she said NOTHING (which would include not seeking what was in the best interest of her previous 6 children)would stop her, she was fixiated on having so many. Those are her words not mine. Her own parents did not feel that she was capeable of such care either. I would think they know her better than anyone since she has dumped her kids on them all of this time. I have seen this type of sickness before, and the problem is that the person loves the babies and small children, but when they start growing up they end up abandoned, usually to the grandparents to raise. She has shown evidence of this already because she was not satisfied with the six now that they are out of the baby phase. And sad to say, if these were puppies or cats or horses they would have been all removed from her care by now by the authorities, but beacause they are humans, nobody will do anything about it, till it’s too late, and the children will suffer. I’d rather see her adopt them out to good homes (open adpotions would be best so she could still be a part of their lives and have that love she “needs”) but at least the kids would have a stable upbringingg and proper care. I doubt she’d ever do that because it would take an unselfish and mature woman to make such a decision.

sadie&John February 14, 2009, 9:26 AM

No one had a voice when andriana yates kept having children even though she was diagnose post partum depression and schizo no one lashed out on the husband yates who left the babies alone with a crazy woman who killed her 5 babies. So here is a woman wanting to have babies to fulfill a need for love obviously having family suppoert. We pay for drug programs that never work prison systems and programs that show little or no results for repeated offenders and where are the critics matters why not fight harder are these issues. I think churches should help these babies we are all gods children and no one is truly financially ready for a baby. Its the same as women on welfare with several children just not in one pregnancy. Iam a proud mother of 5 and I support this woman to keep all her babies. God is the only one who can judge her. This world is bitter right now but to promote abortion or adoption is not there decision. Aborting some of the embryos would not have been a moral decision for the mother since her need was love .that she seems to desperately needs..I hope this has completed her and gets counseling and other support.

john February 14, 2009, 10:08 AM

This is terrible that so many people would gather to ridicule this woman and her babies.That is pathetic and disgusts me.I applaud this womans’ strength and courage.It’s horrible that someone would have the audacity to vilify someone looking at their 8 children hooked up to cords and machines.where is the heart of America?Someone said these kids should be taken and given to foster parents and adoption homes.I recall just a few years ago there was a woman who had 8 children and murdered every one of them.Doctor’s attributed their deaths as the x syndrome.Then the woman adopted a child it being her ninth planned killing.After the childs death doctors realize its not the x gene they were diagnosing.point is that thes adopters aren’t properly screened.The best thing for these children is for them to remain with their mother and for people to leave them alone.If you’re not helping .Mind your business.

C February 14, 2009, 12:28 PM

It seems a consensus has been reached by posters here, we do not want to do business with businesses who support this woman’s insanity and ego. That is a good thing, but, in reading, watching and commenting on what the media posts about her, we ARE supporting her because she is getting paid for the interviews and every little word that is printed about her. She IS getting her 15 minutes of fame that she is desperate to receive. If we stop clicking on the news about her and send a clear, strong, message to the media telling them we do NOT want to support her…THEN we defeat her purpose.
I am as outraged as anyone over this nut’s conniving manipulations. She wants to live off of our hard work and labors for the rest of her life without doing much of anything herself…except rolling in the dough that we give her by responding to her purposeful manipulation of our emotions and economic times.
California, I hope you sue the crap out of her and MAKE her pay you back for all the costs incurred while receiving medical treatment for her and her babies. If you don’t and are stupid enough to let your taxpayers pay for it when they can’t even make ends meet, your entire congress deserves to be removed from office with INTELLIGENT people who will ensure that crap like that doesn’t happen again. And, with people who will remove those babies from that woman, rip the reproduction organs from her body and make her get a job and dump her off welfare.

desirez February 14, 2009, 6:54 PM

Well, it’s done. Can we all start talking about a sensible solution for these 8 sweet little babies? The answer is not to be taken away from a mother that from all that I have seen, loves her babies and loves being a mom. There are far worse people out there in this world. My god, just turn on the news on Caylee and now this Hayleigh who is missing. This woman, Nadya created these little lives. The babies deserve love and warmth and care. Should she receive mental care, support for the babies? Yes. If anything, tax money should go to the people (babies in this case) that are most helpless. There is nothing worse than reading everyones criticisms which offer no REAL solutions. There must be a good way to turn this situation into something positive. Life is beautiful.

A February 14, 2009, 8:50 PM

I feel so sorry for those kids and escpecially those premature babies. They didn’t get to choose a GOOD mom. I don’t know how stupid she thinks the world is, but it was CALCULATED from the moment she had more kids then she could take care of. Unless it involves the health and saftey of the babies(I’m not mean and selfish like some one I could name) don’t give the B>>>> and thing. If she can affford to have them, she needs to raise them…. No one gave me handouts when I had my ONE child….

Anonymous February 14, 2009, 9:59 PM

I believe the government should thank the kids since she she can’t afford them herself