Octuplets: Don't Punish the Kids!

All children deserve a good life, even those born to seemingly plastic surgery-addicted, single, unemployed mothers.

octuplets-tax.gif

Momlogic's Andrea: As the story of the octuplets mom began to unfold, people went from curious to furious. How could she be so irresponsible, to have 14 children with no visible means of support? Why should we the taxpayers spend a dime to help her? Soon, outraged comments like this one flooded the Internet:

You bet I'm going to boycott ANY assistance for her. Look at what she's accomplished WITH assistance!

Nice. That'll show those tiny little babies, breathing though tubes in the hospital! You go, girl!

The sad truth is that those babies -- Josiah, McCai, Jeremiah, Nariyah, Jonah, Noah, Maliah and Isaiah -- are here now. And, in our civilized society, they must be cared for in one way or another.

I'm not saying we need to personally send money to Nadya Suleman -- but why on earth would you be pissed if someone else does?

If we turn our back on the octuplets because we find the actions of their mother reprehensible, should we also stop assisting the children born to drug addicts or alcoholics, too?

I'm not saying you shouldn't hate the mother of the octuplets. I too think that her having eight more children when she already had six she couldn't take care of is selfish and sick. It turns my stomach. But don't punish those little babies for their mother's stupidity. They didn't ask to be born. If someone wants to send them some money for formula or diapers, so be it.

next: Do It Five Different Ways This Valentine's Day
justme February 14, 2009, 11:56 PM

The children should not suffer they have to be taken care. I think they should have a court appointed guardian to dole out any money needed for their care. NO MONEY should be handled by their mother

Upset February 15, 2009, 2:51 AM

You should be ashamed, to request that we not be upset at the possibility that ANYTHING is sent to this lady is ridiculous! Of course the public is upset, and it is not for the stupid “the economy is bad” theory the media is trying to push! The reason is she made this decision to have all these babies she needs to figure out how to support them. No it is not the babies fault, I think everyone agrees with that - but there are millions of kids born into poverty, etc… no one is helping them. There are thousands of babies born to responsible parents, who because of no fault of their own are in NICU and their parents can’t afford the hospital stay - but no one is sending them money. It is not fair to reward this woman for her bad decisions, and that is what giving her money or goods is doing whether you like it or not. If she needs to go on welfare - so be it! If she needs to use cloth diapers instead of disposable to save money - so be it. SHE NEEDS TO STRUGGLE with her decision and her family. As she stated this was her personal decision, SO WHY ARE ALL OF US SO INVOLVED?????? There are hundreds of thousads of people in the US struggling with their personal decisions everyday, why should she be any different??? DO NOT DONATE ANYTHING TO THIS WOMAN! She made a consicious decision, let her figure out how to make it work. Let her navigate all the social programs available to her, I don’t care if our tax dollars pay for it - trust me she wont be living like a millionare or movie star, she will be struggling like the rest of us! If she can’t figure out how to support and care for her own children (that she specifically sat out to bare), then the children will be taken away and placed with a family who can afford and love them! She will suffer the same fate as any other Mother who can not take care of her children would. It is that simle. She should not be treated special, the rest of us who are trying to live right and make the right decisions for our family are not being treated special. No one is giving us money to help us raise our children. No one is saving us, OR OUR CHILDREN! We have to figure it out for ourselves and so should she.

suasan February 15, 2009, 4:50 AM

All of you are right! A hot debate heats up at Billionairepal.com. Let us check what pinions other celebrities and wealthy guys’ opinions are about this story. Many guys joined this discussion over there

Laura February 15, 2009, 5:01 PM

I agree with this blog from start to finish. But I hope the kids, honestly, are taken to live with a family who can raise them well and then all the siblings can have a relationship later in life. It is going to be chaos over there.

Winnie February 15, 2009, 5:48 PM

I believe she had these children for the money. A MINIMUM $8,800 a month IN SSI ALONE ($105,600 a year TAX FREE), plus AFDC. PLUS…..

I think she had the kids in lieu of going out and getting a job. It’s hard to believe that the moment she found out she was having 8 babies she didn’t consider a reduction because she was too busy outlining her own reality TV show and all the money she could make off endorsements. Never mind thinking that she could start her own charity (which, of course, she did).

Additionally the Drs. would have told her that having 8 kids most likely would result in 8 disabled children and—8 MORE SSI CHECKS. Yep, a real gold mine. How about not giving her any money and making her live off the 11 SSI checks- and how much are they worth?-approx. $800 or so each (there is no limit to the number of disabled children’s checks that a family can receive). So lets see she will be forced to live on only….$8,800 a month ($105,600 a year tax free), plus AFDC—yep, getting 11 SSI checks makes you eligible for other needs based incomes including but not limited to food stamps, free medical, state housing, discount utilitities. entitlement to free college tuition for her and oh lets see what else— help from local charities and… me? I don’t think so. This little gold mine she has worked out beats the heck out of what I earn a month even with overtime (less the student loans for my advanced degree). Perhaps I should have had a child I couldn’t afford so I could have gotten my college paid for. Stupid me I choose to act like a responsible adult.

I say let her try to manage and if it turns out that she fails then the State can always step in and put those poor children in homes with parents who can actually emotionally and physically care for them. I say allow her to fail because I’m not worried about her having enough money. I worry about the children’s physical and mental well being. I worry about this country turning into a system where women can choose to disable their children for the cash. How sick is our government to support this abuse?

BrendaM February 15, 2009, 5:57 PM

I agree with justme.And I add that there is no sign of abuse. Until there is let CPS keep an eye on them. If all of these loving, caring, childless couples truly want a child, let them adopt one that is in the system now. Oh, wait, most of them are not babies and don’t deserve the same love and attention, right?

nee February 15, 2009, 6:17 PM

If everything is so good then stop waste time,get resume together and get back to work. So the taxpayers won’t have to support your children. And it ‘s all about the money that why you on every talk show you can get on. FOR FREE RIDE. Really be a Woman admit that you doing for the money and fame.

nee February 15, 2009, 6:20 PM

Everything so good ,then stop waste time and get your resume together and get a job. So taxpayers won’t have to support your children

Winnie February 15, 2009, 6:36 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention. She can work full-time and that will not reduce her SSI money because there are so many children. People with only one or two children would loose their SSI checks if they earned an average income but with that many kids she can earn as much as she wants and still keep all those checks. Perhaps if she had a job she might not have time for another round of IVR.

charo February 15, 2009, 6:59 PM

hi
to all, just let them be
even having so many babies is not responsabli/ but thanks god the babies are ok, and for the sake of those baby everyone should stop giving negative opinion let them live their futures live normally people could harmed so much others with all this comments

Winnie February 15, 2009, 8:59 PM

Don’t worry about sending her money for formula, WIC will give them all the formula she needs for free. And as far as diapers - her family alone could fill up a dump with disposable diapers. Send her some cloth diapers. And go to yard sales and 2nd hand stores for baby clothes I never bought my young kids new - they out grow them too fast.

And as far as “thank god the babies are ok” I think it is way too soon to know that. All we know is that they are alive. It will take time to know the extent of the damage that being one of such a large litter has done to them physically and mentally. For as much as we know they may all be brain damaged. And what phyical problems will they have….who knows?

Chrissy February 16, 2009, 12:32 AM

Dear Anonymous’
It’s really insulting to all adoptive mothers that their love is less than a birth moms. And many story of we heard where births neglected or abuse their kids? Just because one gives birth to a baby doesn’t mean the love them best or even take care of them best. She was not thinking of any of her children whe she continued to have one after another after another when she was unemployed and living off of her parents. She was not thinking of her children when she spent the money on cosmetic surgeries and getting her nails done instead of on her children. And she certainly didn’t think enough of her kids because her mother went out and bought the cribs for them. ANd she most certainly wasn’t thinking of her kids when she got impregnated the seventh time to bring a seventh child home in a already crowded home with half the children are on disability and still with no income, no home of her own, and $50,000 in debt.
Again she JUST IS NOT CAPABLE of raising 14 children and many with diabilities. No single person without a bankful of money and huge support system can.

Melrose February 16, 2009, 3:21 AM

I agree the babies (all 14) shouldn’t B punished 4 the stupidity of their mother, yet, the taxpayer has every right 2 B enraged esp. since they themselves R struggling 2 put food on their own tables. I think this woman has the gall 2 do what she’s done but I also think Kaiser has the gall 2 send their bill 2 the state. They should have checked out this woman’s finances B4 they decided 2 accept her as a patient like they do every1 else. They should have sent her 2 the County Hospital like they would have any1 else who didn’t have the ability 2 pay. She should have thought of this B4 going ahead w/ this last in vitro. What hospital did she give birth in w/the other 6?

I’d B willing 2 contribute 2 helping all 14 of her defenseless babies out if Kaiser would retract their bill 2 the State & also on the condition there was a court ordered person handling this woman’s finances, so we can B assured R donations went 2 the care & welfare of the children & not 4 her manicures, lip treatments & payment 4 babysitters while she is gallivanting all over the country giving interviews.

Anonymous February 16, 2009, 5:35 AM

“any woman can give birth but it takes a good woman to be a great mother” i dont believe shes a responsible mother at all. financially she has no means of support or income coming in. besides welfare. and i believe that every baby thats not born in a good household & that is finacially stable. deserves a better life. and she should get her kids taken & adopted by better parents. that cannot concieve & want to raise a baby. on her site all you read is donate but how do you really know that money goes to the baby and not her?

BrendaM February 16, 2009, 3:44 PM

There have been cases of adoptive parents doing horrible things also.

BrendaM February 16, 2009, 3:57 PM

There have been cases of adoptive parents doing horrible things also.

Vanessa February 16, 2009, 6:36 PM

People are being too hard on Karen. I don’t care how much love this mentally unit person has for 14 kids. Love alone will not feed clothed and keep a kid warm. I will not donate money to this woman, especially if she was seen looking at a Nintendo wii. Selfish. I would donate diapers if I weren’t now jobless myself when the company closed down. And guess what? IM NOT planning on having kids on the government and tax payers money.

Smiles February 17, 2009, 3:07 AM

Why dont the government take her kids away? Apparently she’s using the $$$ that was meant for the kids, to pay for her selfish needs.

Renee February 19, 2009, 3:18 PM

I will continue to work a full time job, pay my taxes and in turn those taxes will go to these babies in the form of WIC, Medicare, Disability and whatever other assistance low income people get for their children. That’s my contribution. Yet you, the author of this idiotic blog want me to DONATE more? I’m with the folks here who say, drop off REAL diapers, juice, clothes, baby furniture, etc… stuff she WON’T buy with the money that is donated to her. I feel so sad for those 14 children who have to call this waste of flesh “mom”.

Yolanda February 19, 2009, 5:47 PM

I don’t think she should be sent anything!!! She is already receiving enough from the state. The state that has their employees working 5 days and only being paid for 4!!! She made the bed and she needs to sleep in it!!!