Octuplets' Grandpa Opens Up to Oprah

The candid interview airs today.

nadya sulemans father on oprah

The father of the California woman who gave birth to octuplets tells Oprah Winfrey that the actions of his daughter and her doctor were "absolutely irresponsible."

Ed Doud says today on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" that he questions the "mental situation" of his daughter. As we all know, 33-year-old Nadya Suleman, who already had six children, gave birth to octuplets in late January after undergoing in vitro fertilization.

But Doud also defends his daughter at times, telling Oprah he believes his daughter was "under completely disarray" when she gave an interview to NBC's Ann Curry.

Doud said that NBC bombarded Nadya Suleman with cameras and took her out of the hospital at midnight to a secret location. Doud says NBC "did not even give her a chance to rest, to sleep, where she's still under medication and not feeling well."

The octuplets' grandfather says he hopes Suleman will finish her education and start working so she can help support the family. But he says Suleman and her children need help, and people shouldn't punish them for what she did by holding back on donations.

Do you agree?

next: This is Your Brain on Recess
Kristen February 24, 2009, 5:25 PM

No I do not agree with her father. Why should people reward her for her bad decisions? We shouldn’t be rewarding people we should be expecting them to make the very difficult decision to do what is best for her children and do an open adoption with loving families who can properly care for these kids.
I do not think that throwing MORE MONEY at this women will do any good. All it will show her is that she is good at working the system that is meant to actually help hardworking people who are down on their luck.

Mom2two February 24, 2009, 5:28 PM

I cannot believe that people are actually donating money directly to this woman. Quite obviously I understand that she does not have the means to support 14 children on her own. But one would be better off donating to a registered charity who would then oversee that the money is disbursed appropriately. That way the money will go to actually supporting the children as opposed to this woman’s whims. Personally my family chooses to donate to a local family resource center that benefits many families not just one.

ame i. February 24, 2009, 5:30 PM

What ever happened to accounting for one’s own actions? Her children won’t starve thanks to foodstamps,and as long as she unemployed she qualifies for subsidized housing but won’t need it due to the donations she is and will receive from misguided people.
I think I’ll save my “donations” to educate my children so they won’t grow up to be as stupid as she is.

Alice Walther February 24, 2009, 6:50 PM

I agree with the previous comments, I do not agree with the father. Why is no one responsible for their own actions anymore. It’s always the taxpayer who bails out all the wrong doers. I have worked hard all my life to get what I have, and although I don’t have a hell of lot, it was earned honestly. Where have all the clean honest hard working people gone to. Any donations I make will be to my own grandchildren. I am sick of all these young mothers who stay on the system by having babies, because they are lazy and irresponsible and don’t want to work,and most of all the children of these young parents will follow the same pattern, for they learned from their parents. Mom & Grandmother

Dee February 24, 2009, 7:48 PM

One parent with 14 can not be anything except child neglect (abuse) without a huge amount of help. If she can make money from interviews/books etc than great as it takes the burdon off of the taxpayers. No responsible doctor should have done this procedure. Apparently this doctor is educated beyond his/her own intelligence. The good news is… everyone is watching.

TAMARA2 February 24, 2009, 9:12 PM

THERE GOES ANOTHER FAMILY MEMBER BEGGING FOR MONEY. GO BACK TO SCHOOL? OK, NOW WHOS PAYING FOR THAT? SHE SHOULD OF WENT BACK TO SCHOOL 8 KIDS AGO.YA SURE, RUN AWAY FROM ALL THOSE KID AND LET OTHER PEOPLE TAKE CARE OF THEM, YOU HAD EM NOW KEEP YOUR BUTT HOME AND DEAL WITH IT..HOW MUCH ARE THEY GETTING FROM ALL THESE INTERVIEWS? AND THE GOVERNMENT IS STILL PAYING THEM TO. WHAT A JOKE. I FEEL SO BAD FOR THE PEOPLE WHO …..NEED…. DISABILITY AND CANT GET IT. FORGET THE SCHOOL SHE WILL NEVER MAKE ENOUGH TO TAKE CARE OF THEM. TAKE THE KIDS AWAY BECAUSE SHE IS MENTALLY UNSTABLE .

GOD HAS SPOKEN February 24, 2009, 11:07 PM

OK…THIS HAS AND WILL CONTINUE TO COST ALOT OF MONEY..BUT IS THIS WOMAN THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS MADE MISTAKES AND THEN HAD NO TURNING BACK? THESE BABIES DESERVE A FAIR CHANCE JUST LIKE ANY OTHER HUMAN WHO APPEARS ON THE SCENE! DONT YOU ALL THINK THAT NADYA WILL PAY DEARLY WITH HER CHOICES IN THE FUTURE? WE DONT HAVE TO THROW STONES. ITS NOT THIS WOMAN I BLAME ITS OUR LAWS THAT ALLOW US TO BE ABLE TO HAVE BABIES BY THIS METHOD. MY X REFUSED TO HAVE CHILDREN THIS WAY AND I WANTED CHILDREN SO BADLY IT BROKE OUR MARRIAGE UP. I LATER DID CONCIEVE NATURALLY EVEN THOUGH THE DOCTORS INFORMED ME IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE. GOD CHOOSE THE TIME. NOW I KNOW THE COST OF HAVEING CHILDREN, NOT JUST FINANCIALLY BUT EMOTIONALLY. BEING ALONE AND ON YOUR OWN WITH JUST ONE IS DIFFICULT. I CANT EVEN IMMAGINE WHAT SHE IS GOING TO EXPIERENCE. WE WANT TO READ, WATCH MOVIES AND THEN COMPLAIN ABOUT SITUATIONS LIKE THESE, AND YET DO NOTHING TO PREVENT THESE THINGS FROM HAPPENING AGAIN. TRY GETTING INVOLVED AND CHANGEING OUR SYSTEM AND EDUCATEING PEOPLE ON THE FACTS OF REALITY OF DECESSIONS WE MAKE AND WE WONT HAVE THIS ABUSE OF OUR SYSTEM! NOW ITS TOO LATE FOR THESE CHILDREN…THEY ARE HERE AND THEY STILL DESERVE TO STAY TOGETHER AS A FAMILY. WHY DO PEOPLE WANT TO PULL THEM APART AND CREATE MORE PEOPLE WITH ISSUES AND HEART ACHE IN THE FUTURE? LETS STOP AND SEE WHAT CAUSED THIS SITUATION AND THEN CHANGE IT SO IT WONT HAPPEN AGAIN. THIS WAS A LESSON FOR ALL OF US TO TAKE NOTE BEFORE OTHERS CONTINUE TO DO IT. AND MARK MY WORD THEY ARE DOING IT…JUST NOT HAVEING 8…MAYBE 1 or 2….WHATS THE DIFFERENCE? GET A GRIP AND LETS MOVE FORWARD AND MAKE THINGS BETTER AND STOP PUTTING BLAME ON THIS WOMAN WHO OBVIOUSLY HAS ALOT OF HEART ACHE AHEAD ALONG WITH THESE CHILDREN! I WOULD LOVE TO SEE OUR SOCIETY TAKE ON THIS AS A QUEST TO HELP OUR TAXES AND UNBORN CHILDREN OF OUR FUTURE!

Bjones February 24, 2009, 11:26 PM

Nadya was very irresponsible, as was her doctor. It makes me sick to think that this woman can have all of these children by IVF. Maybe back before the pill, the older generations had at least 5 to 10 kids. Why, my grandpa was one of 14 kids, and he talks about how hard life was for him and his sibs. He said they grew gardens, had chickens, hunted, etc. Now, you see this irresponsible person having all of these kids and expecting “help” for her own selfish gain. I wouldn’t give her any money unless I knew it was going to the children and not to her plastic surgery or pedicures. By the way, I just saw a pic of her out buying McDonalds! Why didn’t she at least buy the older kiddies a Happy Meal! Talk about feeding herself first.

ALLISON February 25, 2009, 1:09 AM

This is one of the saddest stories of pure selfishness I have ever seen. Just the fact that her parents are now going public to beg for help for these children tells me reality has finally set in… what are they going to do when the 8 babies are ready to come home? I only pray new homes are found for them because it is evident that Nadya will be incapable of mothering them and the other 6 children. Her mother has practically raised the 6 on her own as Nadya has been at work, school, being very pregnant and all over the place as reporters follow her around town. I was an only child too from a dysfunctional family setting, but never once did I think to repopulate my world on my own. Nadya has some clear psychological issues that these children will not benefit by her lack of problem solving. She was seen with a realtor just the other day looking at million plus $ houses ! And they need our donations … not a chance.

Anonymous February 25, 2009, 1:56 AM

I think Nadya & her doctor were both irresponsible.I grew up in al large family (6 girls & 3 boys) & I always swore I would never do that to my own kids, there was never enough of anything, so I know a little. I think that all money for any thing invovling those 14 children (interviews, photos, donations or anything else) should be put in a trust & handled & doled out by a court appointed guardian for the care of all 14 children. Hopefuly putting somebody outside the family in charge of any money would prevent Nadya from wasting it on her sick & stupid obsessions. If were being realistic they probably wont take those children away from that family, so let somebody that is more responsible handle any money provided for them. I feel for Grandpa & Grandma but I’m not sure there very responsible either.It has been said that Grandma recieved $40,000 for that one interview & her house is still being forclosed on??? Just wondering??

diane February 25, 2009, 5:10 AM

I think if she is unable to support them mentally or financially, since they have been born. She should put them up for adoption, so someone more stable can raise them.

Anonymous February 25, 2009, 2:21 PM

I think it is sad and hilarious that she seems to think a Masters in Psychology is going to be this huge money-maker for her. Ask someone with that degree what they make, Nadya! It’s not what you think!

Think b4 you Judge February 25, 2009, 6:13 PM

This whole thing is a mess and the media is doing nothing but making this womens life harder then it already is. When did there become a law aginst how many children you can have? I have seen and will continue to see women that have more then six children and dont have the means of supporting thier children. But are the all over the media being displayed in a negative way? No. In fact some of these poeple have been on numerous TV shows to where they are recieving donations from the shows as well as others in America. How bout the shows where they build people houses, furnish their new homes, giveaway shopping sprees, supply diapers, clothing, cars/vans, computers, etc… all just for a show . So my question is why is she so different? Would this same thing would have happen if only one or two of the six that were planted in her survived? Would she be all over the media like she is now? She did not plan to have eight but what gives America the right to try to take a womens rights away from her? Ok so at the moment she has no job. Why isn’t their anyone that can offer her a job instead of trying to make her suffer through negative media? She has some college education and is planning on continuing this education so she can take care of her children in the future. So why not help her work her way through this tough situation? Instead of trying to take those babies away from her? Please take a look at the stats of children that have been removed from their biological parents and grow up to live a very difficult life not knowing where they belong. Just look at the outcomes of children that are in the system and how thier lives have turned out as adults. So removing these children from her is not the answer. HELP HER!!! Just as if you would help the next person that has 5 or six children. Clearly you can see this lady has a lot of love for her children and is not going to back down from the media or anyone else for that matter. There are alot of us in America that at one time or another got assistance from the government. So don’t past judgement on this women because she is single and unemployed at the moment. Agian I scream HELP HER. these children can grow up to become a part of the army and help protect us as Americans. I will leave with this quote….United we stand but divided we fall!!!!!

Chrissy February 26, 2009, 3:12 AM

If people are going to give aid to help - it definitelt should be given to a third party so that the children actaully get the money for help. I don’t think anyone should trust this women with money - she clearly spent her disability payment on her IVF treatments (cost $10,000 to $30,000 per treatment) and several highly respected, well regarded doctors have siad that she has had $20,000 to $30,000 done in cosmetic surgeries which to this every day she denies
having. And with a couple of days leaving the hospital, she she gets ger nails done!
She was only 32 when she last got insmeinated. Why, with six kids already here and half with disabilites, didn’t she wait a few years until she was done with her degree, employed and settled in her own home and her kids a bit older and most in school BEFORE she even had this last round of IVF?
Kids shouldn’t be punished because of stuoid parents but given, as Dr Oz said a “selfishly delusional” women money isn’t smart either.
If people want to donate - donate items - diapers, formulae, clothing etc.
As fro her parents, I think they have sacfriced so much for their grandkids and really asking for help because they can’t do it any more and the daughter is ill equip.
And Think b4 you Judge - lots of adopted kids grow upo to be adults not having the problems you described and lots of biological parents love their kids but are not capable of caring for them - parents who are addicts, mentally ill, chronic gamblers, career criminals etc. It takes more than just love to raise a helathy, happy, well adjusted child.

Pam  February 26, 2009, 12:23 PM

I think the children should be taken away for her and placed in a loving family that can take care of them without using government money. She needs alot of mental help. She is a very sick person. Her parents are not helping the matter and she does not have a good house for them to live in. The doctor who implanted all these eggs needs help himself and needs to have his license taken away. I feel really sorry for the kids. I hope she sees the light and does whats best for the kids by giving them up to good homes.

vochoa0371 March 2, 2009, 2:20 PM

Funny, he said we should not stop donations heading their way. Hahaha. That is too funny. Crazy family. Just say you want money and nothing else. That is why you made an appearances on Oprah. How much did she pay you to be there?

sally March 24, 2009, 1:21 AM

I believe the doctor is as responsible as Nadya and he should have to support the children, after all without him she would not have been able to get pregnant. The doctor knew this and should have to assume some of the responsibility of HIS actions.
sdw

Luciano Jenson March 29, 2011, 4:39 PM

You made some decent points there. I did a search on the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your site.