Octuplets Mom Says She Was Lonely

She speaks out publicly for the first time.

Nadya Suleman, mom of the newborn octuplets, says she was lonely growing up as an only child, and wanted to have a large family because she "longed for certain connections and attachments with another person that [she] really lacked."

Suleman and Anne Curry

In an interview conducted today with NBC's Ann Curry, Suleman says she'd always dreamt of having "a huge family." The unmarried 33-year-old says she tried for seven years to conceive before she sought fertility treatments. "I went through about seven years of trying, through artificial insemination, through medication. And all of which was unsuccessful. And then the first IVF procedure from that facility -- it was successful. And then I just kept going in."

Besides the eight newborns, Suleman has six other children, ages ages 2 to 7 -- one of whom is reportedly autistic. She says all 14 of her children were conceived through in vitro fertilization. It still isn't clear who the octuplets' father is, or who fathered Suleman's other six kids.

Asked what she felt she lacked during her childhood, Suleman says it was a "feeling of self and identity. I didn't feel as though, when I was a child, I had much control of my environment. I felt powerless. And that gave me a sense of predictability. Reflecting back on my childhood, I know it wasn't functional. It was pretty dysfunctional, and whose isn't?"

After her release from the hospital this morning, Suleman went to an "undisclosed location," according to her publicist, so she could avoid the media. Her rep said that she has been deluged with offers, including possible book and TV deals, and might do other interviews later. NBC said tonight they did not pay her for the interview.

The exclusive interview will air on TODAY Monday, Feb. 9, and on Dateline at 10 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 10. A first look at the interview will air Friday, Feb. 6, on TODAY.

next: 'Idol's' Bikini Girl Weighing Playboy Offer
Chrissy February 5, 2009, 11:56 PM

What this article doesn’t mention but is on People.com, is that up until 1ug 08 she collected disability payments because of lower back pain.
And her doctor’s said that she couldn’t becasue because she couldn’t “Sitting, stnad for prolong periods” and “couldn’t lift” objects.
So how can she be a Mom when that job requires sitting, standing and lifting (children)? All her six previous kids were concieved while on disability.
Does anyone else think this women scammed the disability system?

anom February 6, 2009, 2:26 AM

All I have to say is what a burden on society her family is because her wanting to have a large family

Furious February 6, 2009, 3:10 AM

This woman has mental issues! I’m sure she is not only collecting disability but MANY other government aids that she could scam on. I have seen it first hand how people like her scam the government. And who is paying for all this? People that do work! Yes I understand wanting to have a large family but ONLY if you could afford it. Angelina Jolie can afford to have as many kids as she want but this lady!!!!! I feel sorry for the people she is burdening with her chilren. Like her parents! Do you really think she will be the one caring for these kids? I mean how many of these kids will actually get attention from their mother? I could go on and on. I guess I need to work more since all my money goes to taxes and people like her!!!!

jillian February 6, 2009, 3:12 AM

I don’t care whether Nadya Suleman has “only child syndrome” or not. I care that she’s a single 33 year old unemployed woman with six fatherless children (one of whom has autism) who lives with her bankrupt parents and intentionally had 8 more children who will probably have long term medical problems themselves due to her stupid decisions. Who’s going to pay for these 14 children? The bankrupt grandparents???

Though public records show that Nadya Suleman was on the payroll at Metropolitan State Hospital until last year, it appears that she did little work (if any) after September 1999 due to a workman’s compensation injury (back injury and psychiatric condition) in which she’s received up to $165,000 in compensation. She filed an additional claim for worker’s compensation for a separate car accident in which she argued that this car accident wouldn’t have occurred had she not been going for medical treatment for the earlier worker’s comp. injury.

Currently Nadya Suleman is single, unemployed and has 14 fatherless children that will need to be supported by taxpayers for at least the next 18 years. Given her “history”, I’m sure she knows full well how to fund her large family and her stupid decisions.

jillian February 6, 2009, 3:13 AM

jillian February 6, 2009, 3:15 AM

Carrie February 6, 2009, 5:03 AM

This woman has mental issues, “only children syndrome”??? This is morally wrong and any media that pays her for her greed, irresponsibility and negligence is only condoning her actions, thus telling young women to have multiple births so they too can become rich!

Tanya February 6, 2009, 9:16 AM

This is silly, but did anyone else think she looks like Angelina Jolie for a split second?

ame i. February 6, 2009, 9:35 AM

We should all let the Today show know it is disappointing that they would stoop to feeding this woman’s ego and need for attention.

Anonymous February 6, 2009, 10:18 AM

I’m not trying to judge but it looks as thought she had a nose job and her lips done. I agree she looks like Angelina, perhaps she is trying to be her by having this many children too? I think she is playing everyone and I feel bad for all taxpayers but especially those poor kids.

DLC February 6, 2009, 10:31 AM

It’s obvious that this woman who is not working, already has 6 kids, (& now 8 more) is getting public assistance & every penny she can from the system. Very sad for the US in these troubled times. She should not be able to “breed” any more.

Donna February 6, 2009, 10:35 AM

This nutjob thinks she is Angelina Jolie
minus Brad….she is delusional in so many ways! I hate that the Today show payed her for this story. She could not properly care for these kids if they were all 100% healthy. There just aren’t enough hours in the day. She should be investigated for her income, somehow, while on worker’s com injury and working for a short while, she has managed to pay for multiple fertility
treatments, multiple plastic surguries which left her looking like a bad halloween mask of Angelina Jolie. Worker’s comp should be refunded for her fraudulous claim, anyone with a true back injury would never have survived a multiples pregnancy.

kryztyne February 6, 2009, 12:06 PM

Anonymous,
I agree, she looks like she had her lips injected. Not just that they are full, but the way that she speaks does make it appear she had some injections. Very interesting!

jackie February 6, 2009, 12:06 PM

nice fake lips

Marie February 6, 2009, 12:15 PM

Lonely? Get a dog…..

chris February 6, 2009, 12:29 PM

How could she be lonely…she already had 6 kids?

Jamie February 6, 2009, 12:43 PM

This woman makes all infertiles look crazy.

And, FYI, the embryos are transferred, not implanted. Doctors do not implant the embryos, they transfer them. It is not possible to implant them at this point, they have to do that on their own.

stephanie February 6, 2009, 12:57 PM

I could care less how many children this woman has, as long as she can take care of them. Would there be outrage if she didnt already have children? Where is the outrage over the Duggars?? Or is that different because those children have a father and that they are “religious” people…who have CLEARLY taken advantage of their VERY LARGE family…It’s not our business how this woman got pregnant and with how many embryos…I bet if her name were Michelle Duggar, she’d get all sorts of freebees. What a double standard, in my opinion

Veronica February 6, 2009, 1:08 PM

“I went through about seven years of trying, through artificial insemination, through medication. And all of which was unsuccessful.”

She is 33 now and started having kids in her early 20’s. That means she was about 15 when she was trying to intentionally get pregnant. OMG! This woman has some major issues. Her parents should of been more agressive in getting her some help back then. I feel bad for those kids. The only parent they have sounds mentally unstable. And who is this doctor that would be willing to do all these unethical fertility treatments for her? I wonder if the sperm donor dad would be willing to do something to help with this mess.

Anonymous February 6, 2009, 1:46 PM

I think she is irresponsible. She already had children she could not afford and now she has even more. This is California - one of the most expensive places to live with over 9% unemployment. Leave the disability, worker’s comp, and unemployment to others. This sort of stuff really irks me. She should not have been trying to get pregnant. This is a prime example of why I am against any form of WELFARE and handouts. If you can’t pay for the children you have don’t have them.

As for the Dugger’s, they are irresponsible also. 17 or 18 children is just stupid. There is something wrong with people that have that many children these days. At least they can pay for their own children and all the related expenses. The world is already over-populated. If you want to have so many children adopt a waiting child and give them a chance for a family.

As for being any only child - get over it another way. You have so many children it is like the nursery rhyme of the old woman in the shoe. Having children does not entitle you to feeling good and loved. You should feel that way BEFORE having children so you can show them love, joy, acceptance and other values that are important to you. I think people use the “bad childhood” excuse as just that, get over it and stop dwelling on that. She was right when she said no one has the perfect childhood.