Octuplets Mom Says She Was Lonely

She speaks out publicly for the first time.

Nadya Suleman, mom of the newborn octuplets, says she was lonely growing up as an only child, and wanted to have a large family because she "longed for certain connections and attachments with another person that [she] really lacked."

Suleman and Anne Curry

In an interview conducted today with NBC's Ann Curry, Suleman says she'd always dreamt of having "a huge family." The unmarried 33-year-old says she tried for seven years to conceive before she sought fertility treatments. "I went through about seven years of trying, through artificial insemination, through medication. And all of which was unsuccessful. And then the first IVF procedure from that facility -- it was successful. And then I just kept going in."

Besides the eight newborns, Suleman has six other children, ages ages 2 to 7 -- one of whom is reportedly autistic. She says all 14 of her children were conceived through in vitro fertilization. It still isn't clear who the octuplets' father is, or who fathered Suleman's other six kids.

Asked what she felt she lacked during her childhood, Suleman says it was a "feeling of self and identity. I didn't feel as though, when I was a child, I had much control of my environment. I felt powerless. And that gave me a sense of predictability. Reflecting back on my childhood, I know it wasn't functional. It was pretty dysfunctional, and whose isn't?"

After her release from the hospital this morning, Suleman went to an "undisclosed location," according to her publicist, so she could avoid the media. Her rep said that she has been deluged with offers, including possible book and TV deals, and might do other interviews later. NBC said tonight they did not pay her for the interview.

The exclusive interview will air on TODAY Monday, Feb. 9, and on Dateline at 10 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 10. A first look at the interview will air Friday, Feb. 6, on TODAY.

next: 'Idol's' Bikini Girl Weighing Playboy Offer
Sarah B February 6, 2009, 1:56 PM

only child syndrome?? I am an only child, and I have NO desire to have 14 children! To me, in today’s world, 3 children is a large family!

and

If she had such a horrid childhood, why is she living with her parents?

anon February 6, 2009, 3:05 PM

FYE…the Duggars make money from their TV series, books, etc. that glorify that “irresponsibility”. Who do you think paid for that big house they live in now. The TV cameras needed more room to move around.

SesshoumarusGirl February 6, 2009, 3:23 PM

fter reading this, I’m not angry, but I feel pity for her and her kids. “One child disorder” BS, just another way to “excuse” her stupid behavoir. If your loney, get a pet, don’t have 14 kids!

I truly hope she gets some help and CPS keeps an eye on those babies!

Karen February 6, 2009, 3:31 PM

If she grew up in a dysfunctional family it just makes me wonder why she’s still living with her parents? And why shouldn’t people put her under the microscope? 14 kids and no clear source of income? And she says she’s not selfish? Yeah she may not be on welfare but her parents shoulder what ought to be her responsibilities. Just ridiculous. I do wish those kids well though.

KP February 6, 2009, 5:04 PM

I am deeply disturbed when she says that her children have her completely, and that she loves them all so much and will be there for them. How is this going to possible when she is going to have to work so much in order to provide for them, oh and then, can she really afford daycare for 14children, NO she cannot which in turn means she will be living off of public assistance, because she can’t hold down a job. VERY SELFISH!

nancy February 6, 2009, 6:11 PM

This woman has scammed America and the state of CA IMHO. Parenting is more stressful on your body than one can imagine. And then to think that a woman with back and neck injuries can parent 14 children less than 8 years of age. And her attempt to become the end all of parenting experts based upon her experience! How dare she make millions while the tax payers of CA have supported her during her pregnancy, the millions spent on the babies to keep them alive, and during their early years until she makes her first million. Then I bet she sends it to an off shore account where the government won’t be able to get their just due either.

Emerald February 7, 2009, 4:01 PM

From the paperwork I have seen and assisted with, the sperm donor carries no responsibility. Unemployed and living with her parents and 6 children already, then convincing a DR. to implant that many
amounts to nothing but a desire to subsist on the public dole as a burden to tax payers is downright despicable. The DR. legally should not have done that and should have his license jerked. That’s just my 2 cents.

jam February 7, 2009, 6:00 PM

OmG people need to shut their mouths and leave this woman alone, im sure she is not the only one who has 8 kids and gettin support by the government ummmm look at how much money goes to foreigners for havin alomost 15 ppl live in a house with jus 3 rooms, so what as long as the kids get took care of i dont care how many kids shes got. SO GET OVER IT

Jessica February 7, 2009, 7:11 PM

All of you are ignorant fools. Who are you to judge what she wanted out of life. No one knows what she has really had to go through or who she really is. You all should be shamed of the what you have said. I am happy that she has got what she wanted out of life, not very many people do. And those children will probably be more loved and have better opportunities then most in this world. People like you make me sad for this world.

anonymous February 7, 2009, 9:00 PM

OMG…SHE SHOULD BE FIXED. SHE DOESN’T NEED TO HAVE MORE CHILDREN…SO I GUESS IF SHE WANTS A RAISE, SHE HAS MORE CHILDREN. SOMEONE FIX HER PLEASE. WE HAVE ENOUGH PEOPLE SCAMMING OUR SYSTEM AND POACHING OFF OF US. WE WORK HARD FOR OUR MONEY AND DON’T WANT TO WASTE IT ON STUPID DECISIONS OF OTHERS.

ROBIN S-RN February 9, 2009, 5:12 AM

HOW DID A DISABLED BACK SUSTAIN THIS PREGNANCY? THIS IS CHILD ABUSE. THIS MOTHER IS CLUELESS TO WHAT THESE PREEMIES ARE GOING THROUGH. SHE WILL NEVER HAVE ENOUGH TIME FOR HER CHILDREN. SHE’S EITHER ATTENTION SEEKING OR CONTROL SEEKING.

theboyzmom February 9, 2009, 11:39 AM

if she was running a daycare, it would be illegal for her to have that many children by herself, add that it’s 8 infants and 2 or 3 toddlers and it’s even more illegal. Now those rules don’t apply when they are all your own biological children (believe me, you can’t even adopt if you don’t have enough bedroom space for a new baby), but the rules are there for a reason…it is irresponsible and selfish to just keep having children because you ‘want’ them, ‘love’ them all and are ‘lonely’.

Jimmy February 9, 2009, 4:30 PM

How much you wanna bet we will hear of her again,. having more kids. I bet.!

She alone is Dumb and Dumber!

ginb February 9, 2009, 6:28 PM

I’m concerned about the child she has at home who has autism. That’s a very difficult situation to deal with in a smaller family; I can’t imagine what it is like with all those other kids to care for. Unfortunately, the autistic child probably won’t get the attention or training he/she needs to survive in the world and will probably end up being short-changed. Too bad.

Anonymous February 10, 2009, 12:43 AM

Let’s name her mother of the year! she is a very unstable and narcissistic person.Extremly sad for those 14 children.She is crying for attention in the wrong way

ANONYMOUS February 10, 2009, 11:50 AM

IT’S A SHAME THAT PEOPLE FEEL LIKE THEY NEED TO CREATE HAVOCK ON THE WORLD JUST BECAUSE OF A CHILDHOOD CRUTCH THEY HAVE CARRIED ALL THEIR LIFE. SHE SAYS SHE WANTED THAT BOND WITH SOMEONE DUE TO SHE WAS RAISED AS AN ONLY CHILD. GET A PUPPY. SPEND TIME WITH AN OLDER FAMILY MEMBER.BETTER YET JOIN A BIG BROTHER BIG SISTER PROGRAM BUT FIRST OF ALL PUT YOUR FAITH IN GOD. DON’T HAVE ME AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT PAY TAXES PAY FOR YOUR “HANG UPS” OF LIFE. I WAS A SINGLE MOTHER AT ONE TIME WITH 3 CHILDREN BUT I WORKED FULL TIME, NEVER WAS I ON ANY GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE, NOR DID I RECEIVE ASSISTANCE FROM FAMILY, AND I KNEW WHEN TO STOP PRODUCING. I BELEIVE CHILDREN ARE WONDERFUL MIRACLES AND LET ME MAKE IT CLEAR IT’S NOT THE CHILDRENS’ FAULT AND I WISH THEM ALL THE BEST BUT THE MOTHER IS WRONG AND SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE PUT A STOP TO HER AND GET HER COUNCILING. SHE TRULY SEEMS TO HAVE AN UNDERLYING MENTAL PROBLEM.

mee! February 10, 2009, 7:32 PM

Well this is my opinion it is her life as well as her families life that she messed up and she will be liable for that in the long run when she does not have the means to take care of her children. So there is nothing that we can do about it unless the children are in severe danger other than emotionally, so just leave it alone and let her be the mess up and be proud of yourself as parents. you are considered heros in my eyes for being caring parents!

anakris February 11, 2009, 3:50 PM

I think it is an insult to Angelina Jolie to compare her with this loser Nadya Suleman. For one thing Angelina Jolie has a craft (acting), a husband (Brad) and an ample amount of income to support her children. Angelina Jolie is also a GOOD example to others worldwide while Suleman is a BAD example of motherhood in the extreme. So let’s get off this kick of comparing the two. Other than looking somewhat alike there is no other comparison to be made.

Heather February 11, 2009, 9:01 PM

To the people comparing this nutjob to the Duggar family: yes there is a difference. They built their home as a family before they had their show. The Duggar family consists of a MARRIED couple who have 18 kids. They home school their kids, their kids are taught responsibility through household chores. They don’t live an outlandish lifestyle.
This woman who hasn’t worked in years, spent her disability money to get fertility treatments, and apparently according to some reports plastic surgery, lives off of welfare, who had more kids because “she felt lonely” Give me a break. IF the Duggar family is in fact receiving donations, they are at least spending it on things for the children. There was an episode where they went sky diving for example….