Octuplets Mom Says She Was Lonely

She speaks out publicly for the first time.

Nadya Suleman, mom of the newborn octuplets, says she was lonely growing up as an only child, and wanted to have a large family because she "longed for certain connections and attachments with another person that [she] really lacked."

Suleman and Anne Curry

In an interview conducted today with NBC's Ann Curry, Suleman says she'd always dreamt of having "a huge family." The unmarried 33-year-old says she tried for seven years to conceive before she sought fertility treatments. "I went through about seven years of trying, through artificial insemination, through medication. And all of which was unsuccessful. And then the first IVF procedure from that facility -- it was successful. And then I just kept going in."

Besides the eight newborns, Suleman has six other children, ages ages 2 to 7 -- one of whom is reportedly autistic. She says all 14 of her children were conceived through in vitro fertilization. It still isn't clear who the octuplets' father is, or who fathered Suleman's other six kids.

Asked what she felt she lacked during her childhood, Suleman says it was a "feeling of self and identity. I didn't feel as though, when I was a child, I had much control of my environment. I felt powerless. And that gave me a sense of predictability. Reflecting back on my childhood, I know it wasn't functional. It was pretty dysfunctional, and whose isn't?"

After her release from the hospital this morning, Suleman went to an "undisclosed location," according to her publicist, so she could avoid the media. Her rep said that she has been deluged with offers, including possible book and TV deals, and might do other interviews later. NBC said tonight they did not pay her for the interview.

The exclusive interview will air on TODAY Monday, Feb. 9, and on Dateline at 10 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 10. A first look at the interview will air Friday, Feb. 6, on TODAY.

next: 'Idol's' Bikini Girl Weighing Playboy Offer
Anonymous February 12, 2009, 9:50 AM

u know dam right you cant plan that n if you do ur a racist str8 up

DEE HARRIS February 12, 2009, 12:23 PM

LONELY SHE NEEDS TO LOOK AT HER PARENT AND ASK THEM ARE THEY LONELY??THEY ARE THE ONE WHO IS CARING FOR THE SIX AT HOME. I FEEL SORRY FOR THE PARENT FOR HAVING A SELFISH DAUGHTER !!!

Roni February 12, 2009, 3:29 PM

this is just plain stupidity. and i hope she reads each and everyone of these comments, but then again when will she have time. she needs to really take a look at the lame stuff that she is spewlling out of her mouth. she probably did this to make more money for her and her broke parents who are just as stupid for allowing her to do this.

give me a break ! February 12, 2009, 7:08 PM

At least the “Duggers” don’t depend on the government and tax payer money. At least all their kids are from the same father. At least they have a good comfortable home. Also the Dugger mom teaches them at home so no tax money going to them for free school lunches. I don’t care how many kids a person wants to have. To each his own. Have 50 for all I care. It’s the people who intentionally have many kids knowing they can’t support them financially. People complain about the world being overpopulated… whatever. There’s still plenty of space left, people are born while others die. Look don’t criticize people for wanting a lot of kids..criticise those for wanting us tax payers to pay their bills for having a lot of kids.

Maybel February 14, 2009, 2:08 PM

My gosh this lady is one classic example of a selfish and irresponsible mom.

Bringing 8 more lives into this world with no job is so immature and lack of values.

I feel pity for these kids because i am so sure she is not a capable mom.

God help these kids and be saved from the misery in life for their mom.

Anonymous February 16, 2009, 1:18 PM

I think she’s crazy but if she had the selective abortion then those people would be on her back too - too bad she couldn’t have adopted more children if she wanted them instead of giving life to 8 more children who may have lifelong disabilities and not much of a life at that. I only have 2 children because that’s all I could afford - a stepson and now an adopted/foster son who I pay for now that mine are grown.

The doctor who implanted all the embryos must be nuts - but then again, if these embryos were destroyed, those people would be screaming about destroying life - the ones who will really lose are those children.

Edward  February 17, 2009, 3:30 AM

Who gives anyone the right to judge this women and her choices! Is there not better issues in the world to focus the media’s resources. Everyone is judging this women on her choices and the american public just can’t get enough. What kind country do we live in that society cares more about one women’s right of choice then thousands of more important social issues.

Alex February 17, 2009, 10:35 PM

I would like to say something to Stephanie who commented about the Duggar family. Yes they have a huge family but you cant compare them to this woman. They have a father who works hard to fund the family, and at the same time they make many of their own neccesities by hand, they know how to save money. This woman is obviously not working hard or spending her money on necessary things for her children. Its not a double standard for a woman who is getting plastic surgery, and neglecting her poor kids.

Richard Zoellner February 19, 2009, 5:41 PM

If you were lonely, why didn’t you find a boyfriend and I don’t see how you could be lonely with six childen. You are just putting a lot of pressure on your mother but obviously you don’t care about that as long as Nayda gets what Nayda wants. I think you have a long and hard road to travel and what is worse than that is that the children will be the ones to suffer, because Nayda was lonely. I wish the children the best of luck.

Anonymous February 22, 2009, 7:19 AM

Why are we judging this woman? Why are there death threats towards her? She’s not to blame for our system and the failure of a california budget. It’s the politicians who are. How come there aren’t death threats toward them? How come there aren’t death threats towards Madoff who made off with millions? How come there aren’t death threats toward people who were involved in Enron? Stop bothering about this woman and judging her. Start with the real root cause of all the real problems.

Anderson March 24, 2009, 11:46 AM

first of all Stephanie, the Duggars did not have all of their children at one time, think about it. the octuplets mom had already six children and then another eight at one time. at least some of the Duggar children can help their parents. how many of the six children the octuplates mom already had can help her. she is mental.her mom is too old to care for all 14 of her children. she should be at home chillin not going through motherhood again. and to fire her nannies was stupid, who will help her now. she is trying too hard to be Angelina Jolie. at least she has money to take care of her children. honestly, i think she’s playing the system but who knows. too lazy to work anymore i guess.