Octuplets Mom Got $168K in State Cash

Nadya Suleman, the mother who delivered octuplets last week, has received nearly $170,000 in state disability payments.

Nadya Suleman

According to state workers' compensation records reviewed by the Los Angeles Times, in 1996, Suleman earned her psychiatric technician license from and began working at Metropolitan State Hospital, a mental hospital in Southern California. It was there that she sustained the injury that led to the workers' compensation claim.

The documents reveal that in 1999 nearly two dozen patients rioted in the women's ward at the hospital. As she was helping other staffers restrain a patient, a desk thrown at her by another patient hit her in the back. The injury caused disc protrusions in her lumbar spine, and left her complaining of headaches and intense pain throughout her lower body for years. She went on state disability and was paid nearly $170,000 in disability benefits between 2000 and 2008 for injuries to her back, neck and shoulder.

The single mother gave birth to most of her six other children during the time she was on disability, exacerbating the injury. One doctor, after examining her for the state, attributed 90% of her injury to the work incident and 10% to her pregnancy.

State documents indicate that Suleman testified during a hearing on her case in December 2001 that her pregnancy had aggravated her back condition. She said she spent most of the day in bed and was unable to care for her first child.

In addition to the injury reports, state documents reveal that Suleman had three failed pregnancies prior to becoming a mother. She reportedly said "I just wanted to die. I suspected I was pregnant but I thought 'that's ridiculous.' " But the birth of the baby "helped my spirits."  In addition, she said she was depressed with "recent thoughts of death." She told a doctor evaluating for the state her that the depression was related to "the powerful and uncontrollable emotions associated with her pregnancy: both the fear that it would end and her elation that it might be brought to fruition and she would realize her dream of having a child."

As for Suleman's failed marriage, according to the records she attributed much of her break-up with her ex-husband to the pain and suffering sustained in the riot. She told a psychiatrist the bouts of depression she was suffering as a result of her injury were unfair to her husband. "I don't want to keep bringing him down. I want him to move on with his life," she told a psychiatrist. The couple then split in 2000, and were officially divorced last year.

In related news, the Medical Board of California has confirmed they are investigating whether there were any violations by the fertility doctor who treated Suleman. Board spokeswoman Candis Cohen says the board will determine whether there was a violation of medical standards.

next: Moms Hits Toddler Son with Car in Driveway
Paula February 7, 2009, 4:26 PM

I’m all for children I love them.Yea, having those eggs destroyed does seem bad but lets be real , every month when us women have a period eggs are being destroyed. So what should we do about that? Yea lets sue our body for that. Lets get pregnant every 10 months so that not one of our eggs gets destroyed . Lets see how that will work.

Lynne February 7, 2009, 11:14 PM

Ok, as far as giving your child to someone to not know how they are later, how immature are you? I am the proud, lucky, mom, to two adoptive girls. After 6 years by accident I was able to meet one of the birthmothers. We are all now best friends. My 8 year old knows her birthmother, the birthmother knows her baby, she made a loving decision for a safe place for her baby. One with food and parents to adore her. Shame on this selfish mom to have tax payers pay for her to have babies, but not even be able to take care of them. Those kids will only know their mom made history once. She won’t be part of their history. Real responsible adults , have to have multiple evaluations to adopt, but some people have kids right and left just to get more WIC and Aid to families with dependent children. Lets not forget, on disability, your payments increase the further into the poverty hole you go!

Anonymous February 8, 2009, 12:47 AM

Nikki & RJ-
Have you forgotten that she tried to sell her story for two million?
Second of all - its everyone’s business - just like child neglect, child abuse and domestic volience. Everyone ought to be concern when an unemployment, unmarried no trust fund, no income person has 14 kids. How are they going to be feed? Clothed? Homed? That women’s own mother was stressed out enought from caring for the first six grandkids that she is abandoning her owm home. How stressed out do you think this women is going to be, alone with 14 kids? What is going to happen to those kids? People ought to be concern. People have ever right to say it shouldn’t have happen.
Crys - she could have stopped at the pregnancies or the second or third ect. Not all the eggs she used was harvested at once. She had multiple embryos implanted with each pregnancies. So one, she did not do the right thing. She created the situation that you now support. And that situation didn’t happen without her deliberate illogic, ill concieved, selfish action. She was lonely as a child. Well she hasn’t been be a child for a very long time. She should have sought a therapist, not a fertility doctor. What she has done to her children is not responsible or morale. And “we” have not created the situation that her brood may end up homeless. The mother did that. Not “us”. “We”, most of us are being responsible and taking care of own -“we” shouldn’t have to be responsible for her’s. If she can’t prevent her kids from being homelss or hungry or harmed - she shouldn’t have had them. Period.

Sweet Liberty February 9, 2009, 6:05 PM

CRYS-Look at Angelina Jolie’s baby/childhood pictures and you will see that she has always had big lips. Trust me I thought they were fake too. Second, I know that children are a blessing from God, when God doesn’t give a woman a natural abiltity to have children they shouldn’t be using artificial scientific means to create a child. Those children are science given not God given. God obviously didn’t bless her with the natural ability because as you can see, she is psycho! Everyone wants to play God. I pray for all of their souls. These fertilities doctors are as bad as abortion doctors,they create and fertilize eggs, and some of them are killed. Why don’t the abortion rights people go after them, they are creating human embryo’s and then implanting them hoping that they will grow, well guess what happens to the ones that don’t grow. Hello they die they are aborted!!!What is this world coming to?

Slapma Cheeks February 10, 2009, 1:35 AM

Dang! If she had the 8 in Dec she could have gotten a fat income tax check this year, but she has to wait till next year. Blog that!

Laura B. February 10, 2009, 1:44 AM

I work as an education aid, and it takes
3 teachers to provide a good environment for 14 children. She is crazy and needs help. Someone needs to take care of this matter, so i dont have to pay for her this walfare queen.

4lovebugs February 11, 2009, 6:00 PM

I watched her interview last night with Ann Curry and I can see her point about not wanting to abort any of the kids but realistically she shouldn’t have been allowed to get the treatment at all.
As a mother of 4 kids, 3 of them being triplets, there is no physical way she will be able to do this on her “own”.
When the babies eventually come home, most likely they will be on a 4 hr feeding schedule, 1/2 hr each feeding per kid(to feed,burp, change), by the time all four are finished it will be time to start again. When is she going to sleep?
How is she going to pay any attention to the other children she already has? What if one or two or three of them get sick? Yes, her friends, parents and church will help her but not forever.
She will have to have someone with her 24-7, she will never be able to go anywhere with all her kids? If she does take them somewhere, it will take her longer to get everyone ready and in the car, that it will to get where she is going and come back.
God forbid,what if she has an emergency?
Can you imagine matching socks in her house? The laundry itself is going to require a full time person.
When I am out with my 4 kids and mine were natural, I get dirty looks and nasty comments because I have 3 small ones and I have 10 less than she does.
I love kids too but lets be realistic, there is only 24 hours in a day.
I hope the best for her and wish her a lot of luck because she is going to need it.
People used to ask me all them time if I took drugs when they realized I had triplets and I would jokingly reply” No, I haven’t started them yet”
She is going to need them for real.

gloria  February 12, 2009, 10:15 AM

I worked hard very hard to earn a living for my family, I am 70 years old and still working because I have to take care of my husband, now this Nadya is getting it all free because of selfishness, greediness and no shame at all. She has no shame at all. I work for Medi-cal insurance and I know lots of these people are taking advantage of the system, but this Nadya is very visible to the eye of those people who were laid off and family to feed . My husband is 80 year old and we are not receiving help from the state.The state should take all these children and have them adopted and put this Nadya to work as housekeeper.I use to work in the operating room before and I know she had her lips done. This is a typical person who take advantage of the system If she will live in another country she will be on her own.

delbo February 12, 2009, 12:18 PM

just another typical slug leeching off of the american taxpayer. she would probably sell all of the children for the right price

specialk917 February 12, 2009, 12:50 PM

we keep hearing about her web site begging for money, state cash she has received, makes you wonder is she report this as assest or income to welfare department? If so how did she qualify for food stamps? If not isn’t that welfare fraud?

Dr D. February 12, 2009, 6:47 PM

As a former California Native, this is just another slap in the face. I went to Nam for my country and state. Now I can’t live there and this ” baby factory ” is crap. I say make the Dr that gave her the drugs pay the tab. Thank her the next time you buy something,8% +

amazed February 13, 2009, 12:27 AM

she looks like an illegal alien,i wonder if the skank would want that many children if she lived in africa or somalia. this country is a damn joke these days.

sick of it February 13, 2009, 12:41 AM

shoot the bitch in the head . shes a low life piece of shit!

rachel February 13, 2009, 12:29 PM

RJ - “picking on the little person” you you joking. Sulemane is a fraud - she asked for infamy and has therefore received attention which she could hardly expect to be positive? No, when you have 6 children, some of which are disabled, you dont think $$$ or botox - you think ACCOUNTABIITY OF ACTIONS. If you are such a big supporter of her revolting desplay of irresponsibility - why dont you deep in YOUR pockets and finance her litter. You have a big mouth to defend her - step up to the plate and put your money where your mouth is ….

Kent February 17, 2009, 6:42 AM

How could this woman carry a total of 14 children, 8 during one pregnancy, and still manage to get her state to say she has a disabling back condition? What’s wrong with this picture? There are people with terminal illnesses and they go back appeal after appeal, and still can’t get a Social Security disability check to help with their care. Yet this nut case has received $170,000, all the while becoming pregnant on purpose, over and over again, and playing at home mom on the states dime. This is disgusting, why is it that our society continually rewards the scammers?

Shell April 21, 2009, 1:12 AM

Nadya got $165k from her employers workers compensation insurance compnay due to a back injury she got while working (or residing) in a mental hospital. Employers pay high premiums to these insurance companies to protect their employees, but Nadya should be ashamed of herself for using that money to get pregnant again instead of “insuring” the future of the 6 kids she already had! I don’t know about the rest of you, but $165K would go pretty far in my family. I personally don’t want my income to provide for her kids, my income should provide for my own!

Anonymous April 21, 2009, 1:32 AM

I can’t reveal my sources but Nadya is not getting her own reality show! Networks have realized the controversy that surrounds this family and quite frankly, the ratings are not good already! As for “Jon & Kate”, you can hardly compare them to “Octomom”. The Gosselins are a stable,loving family with nothing but the best intentions for their kids. They have NEVER asked for a handout, taken state aid or “faked” an injury for the money! Jon is very involved in his children’s lives, he wasn’t just the “sperm donor”! Kate has taken alot of verbal abuse about putting her kids on TV. They have been given alot of perks, but the biggest perk is that they have been able to share so many memories with their kids that other people can only dream about. There is nothing wrong with graciously accepting gifts, but expecting the entire state of California to provide you with total financial support is wrong! Octomom does not even recognize disability money and WIC as welfare. She thinks she’s “entitled” to it because our government has allowed her to cash the check!

Kapdvtlj June 23, 2009, 5:10 AM